Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got a Optima!, Install, fits good but...
Anton
post Apr 30 2003, 11:06 AM
Post #21

Royal Orange

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 30 2003, 08:18 AM)
Doesn't boil over OR is it sealed? Can you mount it upside down?

The whole point is to stop acid and/or acid vapor from escaping and slowly eating away at the 914.

It was sold to me as a sealed battery (filled with gel instead of fluid) which you can keep upside down without leakage. The point of beinge able to mount it upside down somewhat eludes me since a 914 is neither a space shuttle nor a submarine. When you want to know further details about the battery go to Varta. About acid vapor, I really don't know, it is for the first time I hear that that would pose a problem.

My battery tray and support were eaten away by leaking acid from a boiling battery probably caused by a faulty mechanical voltage regulator (no vapour damage here). The battery tray area was sandblasted, new parts were welded in, and it was sprayed. Subsequently, I have installed the Varta silver dynamic battery and an electronic voltage regulator (911 type). No problems since and the battery tray area still looks "as new".

This is my personal experience, I don't see the need for an expensive "upside-down" battery. Unless of course you want to argue that an Optima in the first place would have prevented these problems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 30 2003, 11:48 AM
Post #22

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

It was sold to me as a sealed battery (filled with gel instead of fluid) which you can keep upside down without leakage.

I don't see any mention of it being a sealed battery on Varta's web site. If it is then that is what you want. We buy Optimas and Orbitals in the US because that is what is commonly available. We all wish there was a cheaper alternative.
+Quote Post
Anton
post Apr 30 2003, 12:32 PM
Post #23

Royal Orange

Group: Members
Member No.: 473

Anthony,

I understand your point. I don't want to degrade the Optima, I only think that there are good alternatives.

Still, it could be worth while to inquire about availability and prices of the Varta Silver Dynamic B14 battery in the US.

Anton
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:21 AM