Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 915 tranny question, hydraulic or cable...benefits of each?
nine14cats
post Aug 15 2004, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

what are the pro's and con's to a dydraulic clutch versus a cable in a 915 in our cars?

Thanks,

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 15 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

If you have the ability to run a stock pedal assembly.... run a cable. If you have bottom swing or top swing Tiltons.. then you have to run a hdy. clutch.

I'm not convinced hyd is the way to go. It works well when you have a Monster pressure plate and need less pedal effort.. but if I had my choice... cable. Easier to deal with at the track if something goes wrong.

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Aug 15 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #3

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Here is the hydraulic TO bearing...WEVO set-up on the tube car. If you go this route, you have to fab a stop plate behind the pedal because the travel is only about 2 inches to engage/disengage. This unit is basically on/off, takes some time to get used to.

-Britain

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 15 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Save the money and run a stock Throwout bearing. The main reason that is in place: the WEVO 5.5 clutch setup and the car doesnt have a clutch tube for a cable... it was already Hyd.

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Aug 15 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #5

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

You mean this clutch set-up...this is one bad-ass Mo-fo. Talk about throttle response.

-Britain

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Aug 15 2004, 12:29 PM
Post #6

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

My thoughts are the same...I would like to just run a cable for simplicity...I'm going to run a "stock" type pressure plate and certerforce clutch....in fact...it's sitting here next to me....it sure is pretty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

I was just checking my thinking....

B,

How long would it take to plug my drivetrain into the car if I give it to you/HPH to do? I'm talking drivetrain and full oil cooler assembly including hoses....I've got all of the parts on my shelf already....

I need ballpark hours...I know the rates....

Spreadsheet is calculating.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 15 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

I would do it after hours to help offset the cost. Your looking at 10-12 hours. The fuel pump..high pressure lines..wiring/mounting..

I would work something out with you no matter which direction you take.

B
+Quote Post
Walter
post Aug 16 2004, 01:57 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,499

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 15 2004, 10:20 AM)
Here is the hydraulic TO bearing...WEVO set-up on the tube car. If you go this route, you have to fab a stop plate behind the pedal because the travel is only about 2 inches to engage/disengage. This unit is basically on/off, takes some time to get used to.

-Britain

Is there any other manufactorer that supplies hydraulic throw-out bearings for the 915 box that engage more gentle? I need one for a street car.

(The slave cylinder (make: CNC) I have now is very difficult (space restrictions) to attach to the clutch arm...)

Thanks!
Walter
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 16 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #9

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Walter @ Aug 16 2004, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Aug 15 2004, 10:20 AM)
Here is the hydraulic TO bearing...WEVO set-up on the tube car.  If you go this route, you have to fab a stop plate behind the pedal because the travel is only about 2 inches to engage/disengage.  This unit is basically on/off, takes some time to get used to.

-Britain

Is there any other manufactorer that supplies hydraulic throw-out bearings for the 915 box that engage more gentle? I need one for a street car.

(The slave cylinder (make: CNC) I have now is very difficult (space restrictions) to attach to the clutch arm...)

Thanks!
Walter

From what I know about hydraulic clutches (I managed to put together a working setup on my 67 mustang with a 5 speed trans after 3 redesigns) you can get a more gentle engagement by varying the size of the master cylinder (diameter). If you find out what diameter the piston of Britain's master cylinder is, and then get one that has half the area, you'd get 4 inches of travel instead of two. (Half the volume of fluid pumped per inch of pedal travel) Of course this is only if you use Britain's clutch, a "normal" clutch may be different.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 16 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

In this case.. Britain didnt know exactly what he was talking about... the Tilton 5.5 clutch is the ON/OFF switch not the throwout bearing setup. This particular unit (nobody else makes one for the Porsches besides WEVO) only works with push center pressure plates. WEVO also has one for the 901 gearbox. This one is in a 915.

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:02 AM