Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the joy of being a relative newbie....
scottb
post Apr 29 2003, 03:34 PM
Post #1

who wants a PEZ?!

Group: Members
Member No.: 32
Region Association: North East States

every time i walk up and unlock the car, get behind the seat and hear the engine start, i think "damn! i get to drive this thing!"

every time someone asks "what is that?" i get to tell them about the little porsche that could......

i make up errands for things that the wife wants that will fit in the car. managed to get 3 big ass storage shelf kits into the front seat and rear trunk!

i find that i listen really closely to everything that goes on in the car and worry about every squeak and rattle. i feel like i have a 3rd kid!

i see little troughs of rust around a bolt and immediately assume the entire car is about to detonate into a cloud of ferrous oxide! then i hit a large pot hole (northeast roads blow!) and the car is solid so i stop stressing. for now.....

i think of setting up a car fund much like my kids college fund. is this wrong?

the first spring with the car has been great. i am gonna drive the little money pit until winter and then up on jack stands and i get to turn wrenches all winter. at least my wife knows where i am when i am in the garage.

sorry for the length of the post but felt compelled to speak.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 29 2003, 03:38 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

You are not alone... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Apr 29 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #3

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Man does that sound familiar, spent a fortune on my 914 this past winter but now I feel as though the car is safe and running at its best.. I buy things from ebay and pay for a lot of it using Money Orders that way there my wife doesn't get to see how much I have spent on the car using the credit cards.
Now I've become a parts whore, stashing things in case something goes wrong,,, dizzy, fuel pump, etc etc. I think you've taken the words out of a lotta mouths on this board... LOL Little money pit,,, ha ha ha but I wouldn't give it up for the world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
efrenv
post Apr 29 2003, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 297

Listen to it ... it's alive ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 29 2003, 04:02 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Scott,

I couldnt have said better myself. My wife has one.. and she now understands the lure of our little cars. She has backed off my ass now that she owns one and wants to do things to it.

They are worth a million smiles per hour.. no matter how much we have into them.

B
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 29 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Apr 29 2003, 01:39 PM)
Now I've become a parts whore, stashing things in case something goes wrong,,, dizzy, fuel pump, etc etc.

Holy shit you're right... I parted out a rusty 2.0 to buy my car and kept anything that I might ever need "just in case".

My wife keeps asking when I'm going to sell the rest of the "Porsche crap" in my basement and I yell "NEVER!!!" followed by the old evil laugh.....muhahahahahahahaha!!!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 29 2003, 04:23 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I feel the same way. I love finding an excuse to drive it. I feel so priviledged to have found this car soon after I started looking. When I bought it I didn't realize what a rare find it is. It's not a concourse condition car and it has high miles but it's led a charmed life of garagedom under the ownership of 3 PCA freaks. I guess I'm the 4th! The last owner drive it only 2,000 miles per year for the last 3 or 4 years. I think I drove it 6,000 miles this last year.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 29 2003, 04:30 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Too me, just working on the car gets me excited.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Everytime (okay, almost everytime) I crawl underneath the 914, I still cannot believe that I own a mid-engined car, there is just something about this layout that is just too cool....

Maybe it has something to do with real racecars being mid-engined as well.

About a month ago I drove my bone stock 914 with the top off, no heater in the cold and fog, up to an auto-x about 150 miles away....I would not have had the same enjoyable trip in my 911 (of course I would have had heat and a radio, LOL)

Welcome to our sickness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Apr 29 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #9

who wants a PEZ?!

sweet to see i am not off base and a complete freak.

this car rocks. too bad my wife stays home and i can't do what strat does with the parts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) i get calls from my wife at the office "a box showed up for you. what did you buy for the car now?" hehehehehehe ah well. at least i'm not out banging some 19 year old! she gets to stay home, i get to spend $ on the teener.

now it is supposed to rain the next few days so maybe i have time to pop the door panels and adjust the windows so they seal up to the top and don't let a torrent into the cab............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 29 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

i think of setting up a car fund much like my kids college fund. is this wrong?

That's what I do. $150 twice a month into the "car fund". If it has enough money for a part/project step, I spend it, if it isn't there, I wait until the account is built back up. Line of credit on that account also "just in case".

I package my parts and have my wife ship them from her work. Lots cheaper that way. She's a good wife, I think I'll keep her.

I'm gonna have a tough summer without a 914.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 29 2003, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Canadian Member

Member No.: 153

The first teener I drove was the one I bought last October. I test drove it for about 20 minutes on a twisty paved backroad. It took me 30 minutes to get the smile off my face after I closed the deal. Then I trailered it 300 miles, unloaded it, drove my wife around the parking lot in it and the next day proceeded to tear it down.
I CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT ON THE ROAD!
That might have to wait between 4-12 months depending on parts but...time (and an understanding wife) will tell.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
scottb
post Apr 29 2003, 07:03 PM
Post #12

who wants a PEZ?!

my teener addiction started at age 18 (40 now). was headed south on colorado blvd towards hampden (colorado folks will know the area by wilshire golf course) and took a turn lane at 75 mph. my dads teener stayed rock steady in a 4 wheel slide for 2 lanes and then i hit 5th and wrapped it to about 110mph watching the wine and brie crowd tee up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

it took me 22 years, but i was able to get one of my own. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

but now i know i can die so i don't drive like that anymore!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Apr 29 2003, 07:13 PM
Post #13

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Member No.: 36

It sounds like we all start the same way. Buy it, drive it home, tear it apart, try to make it new again. We make it our personal project and massage it with much attention and love much to our wife's displeasure. I just finished the Brake project, Volvo front dual pot calipers, removed the balance valve and installed a tee, ss brake lines, new fluid, all for under $200.00 and Boy it sure stops. Next is the engine, bought a 2.0 that needs rebuilding and on and on and on. The life of a 914 addict.

Bernie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike's2nd914
post Apr 29 2003, 07:37 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 616

I have to say, my wife really can't say anything about the time/money I spend with my car, she bought the damn thing for me. I had one back in high school (1987) when she and I first met. When I graduated from college a few weeks ago (I was on the 16 year plan), she bought one for me as a graduation present. Now really, how cool is that?

So far, it's only taking up about 90% of my time, hey, a man's gotta work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 29 2003, 07:45 PM
Post #15

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I like driving the car so much I even take it to Costco. It's amazing how much stuff it'll hold! We bought an SC for Marcie to drive, and now I never have to justify buying anything for my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 29 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #16

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

When I read these posts it's as if I'm reading about myself. It is truely an addiction as well as a passion. I'm grateful that my wife sort of understands about the special relationship I have with my "iron mistress" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) It's cheap therapy too!
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 29 2003, 07:50 PM
Post #17

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

If I had a nickle for every time I looked at the car just to admire it. I'd have one helluva "car fund" to work with.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Apr 29 2003, 11:45 PM
Post #18

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Scottb, thanks for this post. I'm gonna go to bed with a smile on me face (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'm think'n about getting under the car tomorrow and drain the tranny oil then put in some new...
And then comes the biggest smiles...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) AX on Sunday:driving: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
Gonna be my first time driv'n the Punkin at the track!
Balls to da wall with no worry of hittn anythang or slidn offa da road. Eeeee-haaaa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
bruce
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 30 2003, 07:16 AM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Its a great car... an overlooked car relative to other Porsches... a famous car on the track.... a favorite car in club circuits.... a foundation for creation..... an object of longing and appreciation... a challenge to maintain.... a sea of parts and maintenance

Oh, and a damn fun car to drive!

Ever drove out of your way to follow a 914? Ever recognize a car sold 5 years ago in another state? Ever wake up early on a Saturday morning thinking about all the things you are about to do to the car?

IMO - Excellence was achieved.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Apr 30 2003, 07:19 AM
Post #20

English Member

Member No.: 144

I only have one so I can browse this board and see the banana!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:10 PM