Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914club.com BBS is slow, anyone else notice this?
mikester
post Aug 29 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 837

Technically speaking the bits move just as fast through an "OC48" as they do through a "T1" - an OC48 can just move more of them at the same time (and don't say light is faster than copper because while that is true - Telecom doesn't use light for "speed" they use if for "width").

:finger2:

This is fun.

Now...why is it slow? Is it software (db, os, etc?) or do we need to throw some hardware at it and take another collection?

If so - I'm in to throw some cash at it if that's what it needs but if it's software - I'll be glad to help with that too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
siverson
post Aug 29 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

Maybe someone should check the server's ground strap? I've had that can cause slow cranking.

-Steve
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 31 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #43

neo life

Member No.: 159

Maybe someone should check the server's ground strap?

That's something I can understand! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This is SOOO SLOWWWW. I didn't get DSL for this, Not this.....Not this site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Felix
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 31 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #44

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I had to bail out for a couple of hours earlier.
SSLLLUUUUGGGISSSHHHH.

It's OK now.

KT
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 31 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #45

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Let me let you guy's in on a little secret:

We know there is an issue.

It will get taken care of.

Constant reminders do nothing but PISS OFF everyone involved with the site.

Remember... this is ALL FREE. We pay for NOTHING.

Hang in there... or go away.

B
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Aug 31 2004, 06:01 AM
Post #46

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Well Sir Brad... the first step is admittance. Thank you for fessing up... ha ha!

Up until now, it's all been denial. (except for the recent thoughts on memory and swap disk).

Andy had been insisting it was a routing issue from the east coast to the west coast.

If I understand correctly, there have been offers to help from non admins.

Heck, I may even have a stick of 512 MB memory laying around I could offer up.

Let us all know how to help (besides not acting concerned).

And as always.... thanks!

Regards,

Qarl
+Quote Post
JWest
post Aug 31 2004, 06:09 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 97

QUOTE(Qarl @ Aug 31 2004, 07:01 AM)
Well Sir Brad... the first step is admittance. Thank you for fessing up... ha ha!

Up until now, it's all been denial. (except for the recent thoughts on memory and swap disk).

Andy had been insisting it was a routing issue from the east coast to the west coast.

If I understand correctly, there have been offers to help from non admins.

Heck, I may even have a stick of 512 MB memory laying around I could offer up.

Let us all know how to help (besides not acting concerned).

And as always.... thanks!

Regards,

Qarl

Well said Qarl (and you didn't even include any toilet jokes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). We are just trying to help, and the response before was that there is not a problem, it's your own fault - rather than "we are working on a problem" or "can't afford to fix a problem" or "need more time to address the problem" or whatever, any of which are fine considering what this site offers.

OK, time for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
wheelo
post Sep 2 2004, 01:30 AM
Post #48

Dude

Member No.: 1,818

Problem started when you swapped from Red to Orange Font....prior to that all was good... Us Tech types always go sherlock holmes..... Throwing memory at it may/may not solve.... a little troubleshooting will uncover root of the problem... Thanks for looking into ... I have broadband, so not too bad, but dial-up guys must be real patient!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
tommy914
post Sep 2 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #49

Life is a journey, enjoy every turn.

Member No.: 1,165

can we quantify slow?

is it 2 seconds or 20 seconds?

Is it every page? including the Home page?

I had a problem when this thread first came up. It was taking 30 - 50 seonds just to load the Home page. Finally, after checking with neighbors who are using the same cable service (Time Warner) and were not having trouble loading this page, I decided my IP port was hosed some how. I shut down overnight and got a new IP address, now most pages load for me in 2 - 5 seconds.

But it does sound a little low on memory for this type of board and the number of simultaneous users.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 2 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #50

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(James Adams @ Aug 31 2004, 05:09 AM)
"we are working on a problem"

do you really think brad is currently working on fixing the server?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) that's a good one ...

i'm sticking to what i said earlier, just because the clubsite is slow for you doesn't have to mean that the server itself is slow.
take a crash course on how the internet works. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
there have been reoccuring problems with the routing from the east coast to the west coast which are still present today.
do a traceroute from your location to the 914club server and see where the lag is happening.

yes, the server can (and eventually will) be upgraded but there is no reason why you should have to wait 20 sec. for a page to load, even with the current hardware ...

why did i mention the OC pipe? because i know for a fact the bandwidth at the colo is not the issue.
yes, you guys are right, we *don't* have OC48 directly into our server, never claimed we had. we have a 100MBit LAN card into a 100MBit switch into the OC48 pipe.

do i think that's good enough for the 914club website?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 3 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #51

neo life

Member No.: 159

Constant reminders do nothing but PISS OFF everyone

This is not a constant reminder, just some naive questions.

I know when I got DSL < 1 year ago, this site was faster to navigate. Does more member activity affect speed?

To all you internet and computer techies, what and how do you check:
1. Internet Service Providers speed - are all ISP's the same? DSL vs Cable modem
2. My computer HW speed - what component(s) should I replace or should I replace the whole computer? If I replace the computer, what specs would make surfin this site faster?
3. My computer set up. Someone mentioned changing IP address, how do you do that? What settings can speed things up?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 3 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #52

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

I has nothing to do with your computer. It has everything to do with the fact that the box the board is running on is likely getting overtaxed at peak times.

Andy, I disagree it's a network problem. If I pull up several sites at once (nice thing, tabbed browsers), all of them come up 2-3x quicker than 914world.com. Doesn't matter what the sites are (well, within reason). I have no routing problems to the colo that I've noticed, either from home over my lousy ISDN connection through SBC or at work through a T1 hooked straight to Alternet.

The very fact that site performance changes based on the time of day (it's slower early in the day and later afternoons, when most people appear to be "on"), and the fact that Mark indicated the box itself was swapping, tells me there's a simple lack of memory on the box. If this were a mostly static site, I'd agree that the current box should be plenty for the level of traffic it sees. But since it's entirely dynamic, it's very likely showing some stress at peak times. 256MB is really not a lot of memory for something trying to service 50-100 simultaneous users on a fully dynamic site, particularly when you're running the DB server on the same box. If you're at all interested, I can send you some basic tests that can be done at peak times (remotely!) to see if I'm right.

I'm not complaining at all, btw. I find the site performance to be acceptable. I've been the ONLY sysadmin at much bigger sites before while doing other jobs, so I know how hard it is to get around to doing anything that requires me to physically visit the box and do something to it.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 3 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #53

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Complaining? EVERYONE HERE SUCKS! (except for Aaron, he blows) :finger2:

The club sometimes times-out when I try to send a PM, or search, but I don't mind, I didn't want to say anything to you assholes anyhow!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Sep 3 2004, 02:13 AM
Post #54

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 3 2004, 12:01 AM)
Complaining? EVERYONE HERE SUCKS! (except for Aaron, he blows) :finger2:

The club sometimes times-out when I try to send a PM, or search, but I don't mind, I didn't want to say anything to you assholes anyhow!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

The only thing 'slow' on this board right now is me....damn, one more left (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) ...and what good is that tomorrow?

Sincerest apologies if to all BBS members that happen to be interested in the reason the site has slowed, or if I've derailed the 'train of thought' on this topic in any way......But Redshift started it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 3 2004, 03:06 AM
Post #55

5 out of 4 doctors agree, Crest tastes like crap, but it actually cleans your teeth, because it's like jewlers rouge, and Close-Up is like jello, with a very medical tasting cinnamon kind of flavor that kids like.

Where am I?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 3 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #56

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Andy, didn't Marc say say that the cpu was maxed and that 100% of swap was used? How can you say it's not a hardware issue?

Nobody commented on my idea of a t-shirt run to fund new servers. Everybody pays $5 extra or whatever is needed and we have new servers.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 3 2004, 10:13 AM
Post #57

Resident German

QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 3 2004, 07:09 AM)
Andy, didn't Marc say say that the cpu was maxed and that 100% of swap was used? How can you say it's not a hardware issue?

i didn't say it wasn't the server. i don't rule that out. what i said was that just because this site loads slow for you doesn't have to mean it is the server ...

as for the time of day comment, has it ever occured to you guys that the time of day affects the internet as a whole and not just our little 914club bubble?
look at the obvious, if the club site is slow at peak hours, guess what, it's peak hours for everyone else using the internet.
again, i urge you to do a traceroute next time the site is painfully slow for you and post it here so we can go through it together.

that is the only way to tell where the lag is originating from.

and yes, the server would benefit from more ram (like any other computer out there).

and no, i have no idea where marc got the 100% cpu thing from, as far as i know, he doesn't even have access to the server to find out ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Sep 3 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #58

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

Again, I maintain that the slow down occurred rather suddenly around the same time as some of the layout changes and other changes to the board occurred...

If it were a gradual slowdown due to slow growth, most of us wouldn't have noticed it.

But what do I know... I'm an idiot...
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 3 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 3 2004, 12:23 PM)
But what do I know... I'm an idiot...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

You don't know that...

M
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 3 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #60

Resident German

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:21 PM