Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil Lines - front cooler, Will this work?
Scott S
post Aug 18 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Hi All -
I installed a front oil cooler using aeroquip lines (the non stainless/heavy duty type). The lines run inbetween the inner and outer rocker on the passenger side. No leaks in 2 years - everything is fine - other than I thought my temp would decrease more. I havent noticed that much of an improvement, which leads me to believe that I may have a temp guage issue (911 pressure/temp guage using the stock oil temp sender on the taco plate). The car will hit 215 when I am working it up into the mountains.
I had the idea of cutting the rubber line after it gets to the inner rocker and replacing it with off the shelf copper tubing. I thought this would give me a tad more cooling like the hard line coolers in the 911. Would this work if I double clamp everything?

Also - time for an oil change - how do I get it all out of my existing system? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
ArtechnikA
post Aug 19 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Aug 18 2004, 07:31 AM)
The lines run inbetween the inner and outer rocker on the passenger side.  ... I thought my temp would decrease more. I havent noticed that much of an improvement...

a significant amount of the cooling in 911's so-plumbed comes from the lines themselves -- the trombone just turns the oil around and sends it back.

but you've installed your lines in a location where they are not exposed to any airflow, so they're not able to contribute much to the cooling process.

tradeoffs - the rockers provide a protected, stealthy package for the lines, but it insulates them from the air. 911 oil lines (by design...) are routed through free air. you can do the rocker routing but you may need to increase the size or effectiveness of the front cooler if the lines can't help reject heat...

as for oil changes - Elephant makes a purge valve you can connect to an air fitting, and Fluidyne coolers have a built-in drain port...
+Quote Post
groot
post Aug 19 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

It may be wise to use aluminum instead of copper. I've read copper can crack.

You can get a 25' roll from Jegs or Summit for ~$25, then you can flare it to 37 degrees and use tube nuts and sleeves and attach it directly to an AN fitting.

I'm running a hard aluminum line underneath my car in this manner.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 06:59 AM