Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sand Blasting Cabinet, Time for some new stuff
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #1

The Kid

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,151
Region Association: Canada

After finishing up my first car I decided to take on a conversion project. With a passion for the cars I thought it would be best to invest in the proper equipment first. I bought a small lincoln MIG last summer. Now I am thinking a bigger 60 gallon, 6hp compressor and air tools as well as a sandblaster. There is a good deal on the local classified for a sand blasting cabinet like so for $150. I have seen quite a few of these here and there at peoples houses but everyone I have talked to never used it or hooked it up. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on it? Are they efficient and worth the money? Can they use different media in these?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.princessauto.com-12151-1323912797.1.jpg)

Thanks,

Clow
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Krieger
post Dec 14 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I bought a brand new one from harbor freight about that size for $200 on sale. I do use it quite a bit. I welded casters on the legs so I could get it outside. I'm glad I have it. The compressor I have does use a bit of electricity, but you can get in your car and waste time, gas and more money paying some one else. I have only used glass. I think with the same tips you can do sand. You could probably put whatever media you want in it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #3

The Kid

QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 14 2011, 05:40 PM) *

I bought a brand new one from harbor freight about that size for $200 on sale. I do use it quite a bit. I welded casters on the legs so I could get it outside. I'm glad I have it. The compressor I have does use a bit of electricity, but you can get in your car and waste time, gas and more money paying some one else. I have only used glass. I think with the same tips you can do sand. You could probably put whatever media you want in it.

Casters is a good idea. From what I hear glass is the way to go? Does it recycle the glass pretty good or is there much waste?

Clow
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 14 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Glass is great for aluminum and pretty good for steel that is not heavily pitted with rust. You will loose some glass, but for the most part it lasts a while. You'll want to use a shop vac to suck out dust so you can see. You'll loose some glass here too. Hook your shop vac to the side port. Remove the vent in the rear so air can come in other wise you'll suck the gloves into the cabinet and will have to waste time putting it back together. This never happened to me but some other dope. The bottom of my cabinet has a dump/release to remove media. I put a 5 gallon bucket underneath to change it out. I suppose you go back and forth between glass/sand/whatever pretty easy.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 14 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #5

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i use mine all the time. i made it out of an old 55 gal. drum. i also made it a pressure feed so i dont have to knock it around or bang on it to get the media to come out. its name is frank (frankenblaster).
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i722.photobucket.com-12492-1323914265.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #6

The Kid

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 14 2011, 05:57 PM) *

i use mine all the time. i made it out of an old 55 gal. drum. i also made it a pressure feed so i dont have to knock it around or bang on it to get the media to come out. its name is frank (frankenblaster).
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i722.photobucket.com-12492-1323914265.1.jpg)

That its badass. I have seen a few home made ones and that seams like another option. I take it you bought the gloves and the gun for it?

Edit: I just noticed you build it on top of an open type sandblaster correct?

Clow
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 14 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I bought one at Harbor F a few weeks ago and they're down to $99 w/ gun and 4 tips. Before that I've used Rubber Maid trash cans and cardboard boxes. Best thing since pockets on a shirt.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 14 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #8

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

I saw a pic that someone posted awhile back that they made as a wood cabinet.
I liked the size of it, as I want to be able to get the front A arms into it or possibly a door and have room to work. I've got an infrared oven at work that i'll look to powdercoat with.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 14 2011, 08:16 PM
Post #9

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

QUOTE(clow @ Dec 14 2011, 06:03 PM) *

That its badass. I have seen a few home made ones and that seams like another option. I take it you bought the gloves and the gun for it?

Clow

yep, i bought the special sand blasting gloves and gun at a good old school hardware store called mcfadendales. they may have a web sit. its sitting on top of an old compressor tank. it still has the old wheels on it so its easy to move around. the compressor tank is part of the pressure feed system. the tank is about half full of media. the tank is pressureised and the media is fed from the bottom of the tank. so i have a constant flow of media. when the tank is empty, i unscrew the top of the tank, and bottom of the 55 gal drum and the media falls back into the tank. i have a cooking screen in the media flow to sift out the crap. you can just see the screen between the tank and drum. works awesome....

i can take more pictures if you like....
+Quote Post
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #10

The Kid

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 14 2011, 06:09 PM) *

I bought one at Harbor F a few weeks ago and they're down to $99 w/ gun and 4 tips. Before that I've used Rubber Maid trash cans and cardboard boxes. Best thing since pockets on a shirt.

This Harbour Freight store seams like its god in the States for cheaper tools. We don't get that in Canada. We get Princess Auto but not the same prices. How long would you get out of a tip?

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Dec 14 2011, 06:13 PM) *

I saw a pic that someone posted awhile back that they made as a wood cabinet.
I liked the size of it, as I want to be able to get the front A arms into it or possibly a door and have room to work. I've got an infrared oven at work that i'll look to powdercoat with.

Well I have limited access to a small portable for larger parts and areas of my car.

An oven is the next idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Clow
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Dec 14 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #11

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

I use a harbor freight pressure pot outside. Premium playground sand from Lowes (@3.50$/50lbs.) Works pretty well, need to screen the sand with a window screen. The clay soil needs the sand so no clean up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #12

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

I have that one, it is from Princess Auto, it works OK.
Price is the same you'll pay at PA when they are on sale.
A cheap 60 gallon, 6hp compressor may have trouble keeping up to it.

Bad, I didn't like the gun so I use the one off my old sandy jet blaster.
The air connector sticks out the front and you'll bust your nuts on it one day.
It has no light, switch is useless unless you buy the PA light kit which sucks.
Seems to fog (blast) the plastic film glass protectors fast.
The bottom trap leaks, keep a bucket under it.

Good is the price and it's better than nothing.
+Quote Post
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 09:17 PM
Post #13

The Kid

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2011, 07:08 PM) *

I have that one, it is from Princess Auto, it works OK.
Price is the same you'll pay at PA when they are on sale.
A cheap 60 gallon, 6hp compressor may have trouble keeping up to it.

Bad, I didn't like the gun so I use the one off my old sandy jet blaster.
The air connector sticks out the front and you'll bust your nuts on it one day.
It has no light, switch is useless unless you buy the PA light kit which sucks.
Seems to fog (blast) the plastic film glass protectors fast.
The bottom trap leaks, keep a bucket under it.

Good is the price and it's better than nothing.

Hmm, I figured the compressor would have no problem. I don't mind stopping every now and then as long as its not every 10 minutes. What would you be running to it for air?

You are right, I was going with its better than nothing. I know its not a brand name industrial one. Its just to help with a hobby (addiction)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Dec 14 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I use the heck out of mine...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #15

that's what I do!

I'd buy the 80 gallon and the Chinese heads suck compared to the old US/canada made heads.
That said for hobby it would be good enough
+Quote Post
neyen14
post Dec 14 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,408
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 14 2011, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(clow @ Dec 14 2011, 06:03 PM) *

Clow

yep, i bought the special sand blasting gloves and gun at a good old school hardware store called mcfadendales. they may have a web sit. its sitting on top of an old compressor tank. it still has the old wheels on it so its easy to move around. the compressor tank is part of the pressure feed system. the tank is about half full of media. the tank is pressureised and the media is fed from the bottom of the tank. so i have a constant flow of media. when the tank is empty, i unscrew the top of the tank, and bottom of the 55 gal drum and the media falls back into the tank. i have a cooking screen in the media flow to sift out the crap. you can just see the screen between the tank and drum. works awesome....

i can take more pictures if you like....

If you don't mind, I would love to see more pics of this. I have a couple extra 55 gallon drums sitting around from my Mercedes Grease-al filling station... would love to make use of 'em in another practical manner. What would you have done differently, if anything?
+Quote Post
clow
post Dec 14 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #17

The Kid

If you wanted to post more pictures in here mrbubblehead it would be great!

What are people using for compressors to keep up? What psi and if you have an idea of CFM?

Clow
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 14 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #18

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Not sure about the dimensions of the one you are looking at, but buy one large enough for rims, engine tin, etc. I bought one on ebay years ago, and it is too small. I use it for whatever I can fit into it, but I sure wish it was larger. At some point, I will probably fix it by cutting it in half horizontally and adding in a few inches of wall height. I will also modify it so that it drains efficiently into a receptacle that I can swap out quickly and can also be used as the source. I would look for that feature as well if I were you.

I also agree with the above about hooking up the shop vac. If you don't have negative pressure, visibility becomes an issue very quickly.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #19

that's what I do!

The blue one has no problem draining back, if it does you're low on media.
+Quote Post
ELLIOTT
post Dec 14 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 11,438

Attached Image

I built this one about six years ago out of 3/4"particle board and 2x4's , Granger goves and HF gun. I use glass and aluminim ox. with a 5hp , 30gal compressor. It works , but a bigger compressor would be nice. The cabinet is 2x2x4.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 08:01 PM