Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT Problem with the "other" car
Curvie Roadlover
post Aug 18 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #1

Two trunks are better than one!

Group: Members
Member No.: 42

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport . Last week, I left my lights on when I went to work. I came out of work and the battery was dead. I got a jump start. Ever since, the car stalls when warmed up and idling. A year ago, I left the lights on and ran down the battery and the same thing happened, but after a day or so the problem went away. This has been going on for a week now. Anybody have any thoughts on this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Jeroen
post Aug 18 2004, 08:09 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Try disconnecting your battery for a while. This may reset your car's computer (if it has one that is)
It prolly got confused by the jumpstart and switched to safe/limping mode

Either that or the jumpstart f-ed up some electr.part(s)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 18 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Jeroen.

Does the Montero have a user accessible code scheme? You know, the flip the key on and off 40 times and then listen to the beeps and watch the lights flash.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Aug 18 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #4

Not to my knowledge. I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes. The drive in to work tomorrow will tell if that did the trick. I've been having to drive all week braking with the left foot and giving a little throttle with the right foot. Kinda reminded me of driving the teener, you know, using both feet to drive (Hey, now the thread has 914 content) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Thanks for the advice, guys.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 19 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

can't speak to you vehicle specifically, i just work wirh European cars. but most modern closed-loop engine-management systems are self-monitoring, for emissions and perfofrmance - this lets them maintain much closer control by 'learning' the environment instead of always having to react to it.

the computers 'learn' the short-term and long-term fuel trim requirements. if it loses its memory, it has to back to a default, baseline configuration that's probably not optimised for your specific conditions.

removing power from the vehicle (or - for quickest and most thorough results - connecting the DISCONNECTED battery terminals TO EACH OTHER) will 'cold boot' the ECU's and reset the fuel trims - it'll run not-quite-right- until it re-learns its environment. oh - this probably also clears all the OBD-II Readiness bits, so don't be hoping to pass an emissions test right away - takes a few (50-100) mi...

in some drive-by-wire cars (99-2002 New Beetle comes to mind) there is a throttle-body adaptation (learning...) that must be done after any total power interruption lasting longer than a few minutes. this requires a diagnostic scan tool like the dealers have or - a tool like the VAG-COM my company makes...

our interface can be used with OBD-II software, but we don't make or sell that (it's out there tho - we have links on the Ross-Tech website ... )
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Aug 19 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Well I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes. Took it for a drive and the car still stalls. Hopefully it's in the "re-learn" mode. If it's still stalling by the time I get home from work tomorrow I'll try the connect the battery cables to each other for the "cold boot"
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 04:37 PM