Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 520 521 522 523 524 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
ValcoOscar
post May 1 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #10421

Garage Life

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Almost ready to paint V8 front bumper for my bud Jerry

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 1 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #10422

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

After being away from welding in my old job for years, it's becoming apparent that until I get back up to speed I'm probably a better grinder than I am a welder...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RickS
post May 1 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #10423

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

The teener has always had that old car musty funk smell inside. Replaced the carpet, and no luck. Replaced the the headliner and still no luck. When updating the interior, Replaced the backpad with new and both seats and you guessed it. And then one day...

As a last resort I purchased Griot’s answer to the DIY gas chamber, and I took a deep breath and drooped the packet of magic crystals into the cup of water, sealed the car and let it do its thing for 24 hours. And wonder of wonders, that skanky, funky smell is gone with no perfumes, or rent a car scent. In fact, there is basically no smell.

So if you have that old car funk, try this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/odor+exterminator.do
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 1 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #10424

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I cut out the holes for the oil tank. And as luck would have it my phone fell of the workbench and the screen died.

I hope I that I cut the holes right and everything fits! We will see tomorrow.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 2 2018, 12:45 AM
Post #10425

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 1 2018, 01:46 PM) *

Attached Image
Jerry's car is a V8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 2 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #10426

Garage Life

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 1 2018, 11:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 1 2018, 01:46 PM) *

Attached Image
Jerry's car is a V8? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Had a chance to paint during lunch...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pursang
post May 2 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #10427

Member No.: 15,386
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, it wasn't exactly today but last week. I got new shoes for the car (205x60 15) and took off on an exploratory trip. Over the years I have occasionally bought gas station maps of where I have lived. I had watched "Stand By Me" on the TV the other night. It is a coming of age movie that I have always liked and is based on boyhood adventures in the 1950's. Coincidentally the town scenes were shot in Brownsville, Oregon, about 90 miles south of me.

I decided to make the drive using roads that were the main arteries in the 1950's and used two of my maps to make the journey. The thing about using old maps is not that the roads no longer exist, it is that they have either been renamed, slightly altered, or covered over by newer roads (for example I-5 covers lots of US99).

I drove between Beaverton and Salem, Oregon using state highways and then skipped Salem and Albany by using I-5. Hit Brownsville just after lunch and had a wonderful time looking at shops and walking the sidewalks. Met a guy who had an interesting "man cave" garage and saw his projects including a nicely done "rat rod" truck that took him a little over a year to build.

Plenty of great roads. Nice weather (a break from Oregon's rain), and the car ran beautifully. Tires were perfect, grip was good and the wheel balance done by the independent shop (Sunset Tire Factory) was right on.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pic20.picturetrail.com-15386-1525311593.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pic20.picturetrail.com-15386-1525311594.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pic20.picturetrail.com-15386-1525311594.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pic20.picturetrail.com-15386-1525311594.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 2 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #10428

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Finished installing the targa and main cabin seals. About to take it for a test drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 2 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #10429

914 Guru

Eeek!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post May 3 2018, 05:54 AM
Post #10430

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Broke the infamous plastic piece that allows the outer door handle to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) but managed to make it to work by crawling through the passenger side. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post May 3 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #10431

Member No.: 11,461

Well a couple of months ago I finally got tired of the racket from the loose back window on my '74 1.8, so I decided to RnR it. Of course you gotta take out the back pad to get at it, and the seats to get at the back pad and then you can really see how ratty the old carpet is, so out that comes. So then might as well clean up some of the chipped and worn thin paint and take care of that dent on the drivers rear 1/4. Around this time I decided to drop the bumpers and look into why one of the head lights didn't line up quite right (the eyebrow on that side was held in with bolts in an attempt to make it look close to right). At about this point I noticed that the windshield was really only held in by the trim as the butyl had totally dried out. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
I guess next the motor comes out so I can replace the battery tray and trunk hinge mounts. Then I might as well paint it. Not going on jackstands however, not at all.
I like this particular car because it was apparently delivered with radio delete but with AC which seems a little odd to me.
Oh, I am also taking a rookie stab at engine building with a 1911 for this car. Should be rolling again by August.......2020 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post May 3 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #10432

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ May 3 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Well a couple of months ago I finally got tired of the racket from the loose back window on my '74 1.8, so I decided to RnR it. Of course you gotta take out the back pad to get at it, and the seats to get at the back pad and then you can really see how ratty the old carpet is, so out that comes. So then might as well clean up some of the chipped and worn thin paint and take care of that dent on the drivers rear 1/4. Around this time I decided to drop the bumpers and look into why one of the head lights didn't line up quite right (the eyebrow on that side was held in with bolts in an attempt to make it look close to right). At about this point I noticed that the windshield was really only held in by the trim as the butyl had totally dried out. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
I guess next the motor comes out so I can replace the battery tray and trunk hinge mounts. Then I might as well paint it. Not going on jackstands however, not at all.
I like this particular car because it was apparently delivered with radio delete but with AC which seems a little odd to me.
Oh, I am also taking a rookie stab at engine building with a 1911 for this car. Should be rolling again by August.......2020 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
A typical mushrooming 914 task.
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post May 3 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #10433

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

Took the time to set the valves today (2 L ). going autocrossing on the weekend. Found valves on the right side were all too tight, car is running better. Funny thing is I've always had the engine reading hot after about 1/2 hour, even on a cool day. Had it out for an hour and a half, just over half on the guage. I don't get it! What's tight valves got to do with heat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 3 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #10434

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

If the valves don't contact the seats properly, the heat build-up isn't transferred to the head adequately.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 3 2018, 05:48 PM
Post #10435

914 Guru

Forrest came by and picked up the 2.0 for Bob.

A box was delivered with a muffler heat shield. I welded it onto the replacement trunk floor and gave it a coat of etch primer while I could get in all the nooks and crannies. the crumbly looking stuff is leftover seam sealer. Also a pic of the holes I drilled for the oil tank. Still need some file work before a test fit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 3 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #10436

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Nothing done on the 914 however I had lunch with Eric Geer, some might remember his car, 2.0 that was yellow that had widened 'glass GT flares....when he bought it the car had wide wire wheels that belonged on a Chevy pickup.

For a while he ran super skinny 5.5" stock steel wheels under those wide flares....no more 914 for him for years however we still keep in contact.

Even talked to Tony (aka Cracker) today, that was a pleasant surprise, nice guy!
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 4 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #10437

Garage Life

Last night I made a rolling chassis cart for my Rally car project. Getting ready to start bodywork.
I used measurements from another poster...all dims seem correct. I like my $60 eight inch Harbor Freight casters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

You can hardy see the taper

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 4 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #10438

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Good luck w/ HF casters. I have never purchased a caster from HF that would swivel properly once a load is placed upon them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 4 2018, 11:47 AM
Post #10439

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 4 2018, 11:43 AM) *

Good luck w/ HF casters. I have never purchased a caster from HF that would swivel properly once a load is placed upon them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Yeah, that's what I'm using. I just kick the casters into the right orientation for direction I want to roll the car. Once it is rolling, they seem to swivel okay.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 4 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #10440

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Made and installed a mount for my "wide screen" GPS that I bought during Rte 66. My 16 year old TomTom finally went to heaven and I bought this one at a truck stop a bunch of us stopped at for awhile. I saw this Garmin on sale and bought it. I didn't stop to think (a common occurrence) and didn't realize till much later it was made for a TRUCK. A very large TRUCK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Hence the 7 1/2 inch screen. I couldn't mount it on the windshield for obvious reasons. I can pair it to my cell phone and can also pair it to a back up camera. I'm hoping I'll be able to get re-runs of The Real Housewives of Atlanta. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 520 521 522 523 524 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:46 AM