Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

838 Pages V « < 547 548 549 550 551 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
RickS
post Sep 17 2018, 09:22 PM
Post #10961

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Some of you may recall my thread on whether a Momo steering wheel spacer would work. There were several leads I chased down but none were ideal.

Last night at 3:00 AM I remembered that my neighbor, a retired Cal Tech aerospace electrical engineer who single handedly developed and created US Navy ship-board satellite communication arrays, had the equipment to cut the hub down 2.5”.

He graciously agreed and in 3 hours I had a custom hub to my precise specs and even enhanced the horn contact using a spare brass rod and a small spring he had handy. After living with this hub for 15 years it now has exactly the right spacing.

A local machine shop which works on Formula Fords quoted me $350 to $400. My neighbor got a very nice bottle of wine and some fresh produce my wife just picked from our garden. It was a VERY good day.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porscheguy912
post Sep 18 2018, 06:01 AM
Post #10962

porscheguy912

Member No.: 17,236
Region Association: North East States

A bit scared after her first 914 trip.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 18 2018, 07:19 AM
Post #10963

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Very cute. She needs a harness and doggie seat to be secure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 18 2018, 07:42 AM
Post #10964

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 17 2018, 11:22 PM) *

Some of you may recall my thread on whether a Momo steering wheel spacer would work. There were several leads I chased down but none were ideal.

Last night at 3:00 AM I remembered that my neighbor, a retired Cal Tech aerospace electrical engineer who single handedly developed and created US Navy ship-board satellite communication arrays, had the equipment to cut the hub down 2.5”.

He graciously agreed and in 3 hours I had a custom hub to my precise specs and even enhanced the horn contact using a spare brass rod and a small spring he had handy. After living with this hub for 15 years it now has exactly the right spacing.

A local machine shop which works on Formula Fords quoted me $350 to $400. My neighbor got a very nice bottle of wine and some fresh produce my wife just picked from our garden. It was a VERY good day.

Attached Image

The interior looks great!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sb914
post Sep 22 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #10965

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

I drove it ! Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 23 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #10966

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Put some susspension in.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 23 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #10967

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 23 2018, 10:16 AM) *

Attached Image

Dude! I would recheck how the top of the strut is assembled. You do not have sufficient thread engagement on that bolt.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Sep 23 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #10968

Member No.: 19,869

i fitted new screen washer jets as i snapped the last new pair i fitted, just have to wire up the washer switch.

i finally fitted the airdam that i bought from 914 rubber so long ago. i put the trunk rubbers on but now my lid sits a bit skewiff.

and when the roads dried, i drove it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

still grinning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Sep 23 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #10969

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 23 2018, 07:52 AM) *

Attached Image

Dude! I would recheck how the top of the strut is assembled. You do not have sufficient thread engagement on that bolt.

Lol just loose.. Was just to get the parts off of the shelf and to keep me motivated..

Once a arms etc are mounted I will tighten everything at once..
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 23 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #10970

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 23 2018, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 23 2018, 07:52 AM) *

Attached Image

Lol just loose.. Was just to get the parts off of the shelf and to keep me motivated..

Once a arms etc are mounted I will tighten everything at once..

Ok.. cool. Just didn't want you putting that car into a ditch because of a loose bolt.

Clay
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 24 2018, 02:30 AM
Post #10971

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Went up to Culver City and worked on johnpierre's '73 1.7L yesterday. First thing I found wrong, the dwell angle was hovering around 30º, so I took care of that, and we adjusted the timing to 27º at 3300 rpm as well. Also snipped about 1/4" off the cracked ends of the vacuum hoses (where needed). It started up, but was still running rough (and rich). I recommended getting the Pertronix 1847V ignition module for it so he would need to worry about having to adjust the dwell any more.

Next, I tested the MPS with the MightyVac - found it was not holding any vacuum at all. I think I have a good spare one in the shed, so I'll get one up to him shortly.

Another thing, the right bank's head vent hose was laying on top of the of the case and we couldn't find an open port for it to attach to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (we looked long and hard, but finally gave up trying to figure that issue out) ... is he missing a 'T' fitting or something? We checked on Jeff Bowlsby's tech notebook, but there weren't any vacuum hose diagrams for a '73 1.7L in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

He's planning to have the car transported to a shop for a valve adjustment, oil change and tune-up coming up mid-week - just wanted to make sure he was aware that the motor hadn't detonated and which parts needed replaced to get the motor purring again (without getting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) )

It was also just nice to take break from the home remodel that's been taking up all my time lately. One day, maybe I'll be able to work on my own cars again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 24 2018, 08:47 AM
Post #10972

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Ugh...I'm sore LOL, not accustomed to all the manual labor but forgot how much I enjoy working with air/power tools.

I worked all weekend continuing cleanup/detailing but mainly yesterday doing the fab work for the GT-type headlight lift kit. I realized going in that it was a complicated project. The GT setup requires fairly significant fab plus a bunch of hardware that's not included in the typical kits... I had gathered up a bunch of lighting parts over ~6 years from Brad M & Mittlemotor and 914Rubber.

I will post pics of progress and changes in my build thread but probably after RRVI. Still going down the path of making 914R a bit more streetable/legal but keeping it race-prepped as well.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Sep 24 2018, 10:31 AM
Post #10973

i fitted the windscreen washer button (found a lost knife in the process) then when i tested it, it looked like i had a chip in the middle of the screen. thankfully it was some piece of sticky tape stuff.

i also trial fitted the pedal board, looks like i'm missing some kind of bracket that goes next to the clutch pedal and the screw hole on the accelerator side doesnt line up.quite probably due to the way i have the loom set up.
+Quote Post
911buff
post Sep 25 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #10974

Member No.: 17,390
Region Association: South East States

Saturday, my son I volunteered for the inaugural "Cars and Cannons" hosted inside Ft. Clinch located in Fernandina Beach, FL. Supposedly it is the only car show inside a fort... anywhere. Maybe, Maybe not but a neat eclectic mix of 56 classic and antique cars.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Then on Monday, my '74 914 and '71 911 were invited to be part of a major motion filming at the waterfront in St. Marys, GA. The way they were positioned and the angles of the cameras there is 100% chance the 911 will be in the background and pretty sure the 914 will be seen also. The director wanted the 911 in the shot... YEAH!

Got to participate as an extra during the filming, it was long day but pretty fun. the movie is "Doctor Sleep", the sequel to "The Shining" starring Ewen McGregor. Won't see it until 2020, so I will probably forget it by then.

But anyway, may get some more old, air cooled Porsches on the big screen.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Sep 26 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #10975

the trunk lid had some strange grazing and the frunk lid had swirl scratches so i resprayed them today.

i found the spurce of the squeak, which sounded like rubber bit turned out to be the brake pad retaining plate lightly touching the outer edge of the disc. a little filing and no more squeak.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Sep 26 2018, 07:26 PM
Post #10976

Member No.: 12,732

Attached Image

Moved stuff into new ToyBarn "car condo." Lots of organizing to do. Going to sell the ATC trailer to make more room...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 26 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #10977

I was thinking about buying one ... just wished they had one closer to Payson ... it's an 90 mile drive one way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I paid enough to lease a 2200 sq. ft. shop for 5 years, that I could have bought a car condo.

http://toybarnstorage.com/
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 27 2018, 12:31 AM
Post #10978

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Trying to find my clean and non-torn up 914 shirts to wear for the next 4 days.

Played with my new 3D printer tonight while doing laundry.

Only color I have right now....

@horizontally-opposed

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 27 2018, 03:18 AM
Post #10979

Cool. Since I sold the 'BB' (2.1L) and had a new 2.1L wasser-boxer built up for the Westy, I can install the 2.1L emblem you made on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

As for the 000 3D item ... you do know that Peugeot claims legal rights for all 3-integer automobile designations with a zero in the middle, right? - lol

"In September 1964, the Porsche 901 was presented at the Paris Motor Show, a very important platform for the European market. However, the show caused an unexpected problem for Porsche. Later, at the beginning of October 1964, the astonished Porsche management received an objection from the French car manufacturer Peugeot which indicated that the type name 901 was in violation of French copyright and trademark protection laws.

This initially puzzled Porsche management since the model name that they traditionally based on the relevant design number had been rigorously researched by the development department for the Type 901 as well. Just one German lorry producer used the name 901, which was not viewed as a problem for Porsche. But Peugeot staked its claim, saying that they had been using three-digit numbers with a zero in the middle since 1929 and therefore owned the legal rights to all similar number sequences in France."

So, what did Peugeot have to say about the other 'X0X' designations?:

902: 1965 four-speed 911 transmission (and 912 internal designation)
903: 1965 prototype automatic transmission
904: 1964 Carrera GTS racecar
905: Sportomatic transmission
906: 1966 Carrera 6 racecar
907: 1967 racecar
908: 1968 racecar; 1967 prototype automatic transmission
909: 1968 hillclimb car

Peugeot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
cali914
post Sep 27 2018, 07:33 AM
Post #10980

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 6 2018, 12:46 PM) *

Dropped the engine to install a new Meziere water pump.

Which Meziere water pump did you buy? I used the electric remote mount 55gms and mounted it on the lower radiator hose outlet and it worked beautifully. Then you can run those tiny plates to the front of the block which allows more clearance behind the fire wall.
+Quote Post

838 Pages V « < 547 548 549 550 551 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:37 PM