Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 553 554 555 556 557 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
DRPHIL914
post Oct 26 2018, 07:40 AM
Post #11081

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Oct 24 2018, 10:12 PM) *

Installed a new dakota digital cht gauge.

I have this gauge but have not installed it yet. I have the wire run from the #3 spark plug up thru the tunnel into the center console area. How was it wiring it up? I was having a hard time figuring out which wire went to what for the light etc. I have to go back and do a search of what is what in the console. I already have the oil temp gauge , volt gauge and a AF meter wired up, so I assume I will have to do some splicing again and hack into the harness to wire it up. any quick hints ?
How accurate do you think the read out is?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 26 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #11082

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

i changed the leaky drive shaft seal. 20 minute job, nice and easy. hopefully this won't fail as there is no visible imperfections in either the casing or the shaft.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Oct 27 2018, 04:05 AM
Post #11083

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Got new tires put on today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The last 2 sets had been Toyo Proxes R1R No complaints. I thought I would try something different this time and went with Falken Azenis RT615K+. No chance to test them in the first 10 miles.

Attached Image
Not my actual tire. jpg from google
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Oct 29 2018, 09:33 AM
Post #11084

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Most of the work was done this weekend, but I started putting it back together after it came back from getting repainted. Front end is mostly done. Rear end is waiting on the rear valence to be painted. After that I'll have to install the sail panel trim, windshield and the remaining interior bits.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 29 2018, 09:46 AM
Post #11085

Dr. Phil

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) amazing how getting your bumpers and lights hooked up and into place it makes the car look and you feel like you can see light at the end of the tunnel!
car looks super, love the white for sure.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Oct 29 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #11086

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Thanks, Phil. It does look much better now compared to the washing machine white that was on there before.
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Oct 30 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #11087

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

Did all sorts of work. Body, brakes, etc....

You can read about it here http://www.2002and914.com/?p=727 if you're interested.

Got the doors left and then it's on to the rust in the trunk.

Having lots of fun, that's the main thing!
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Oct 31 2018, 04:18 AM
Post #11088

Member No.: 18,880

Today I repaired my broken auto-cancel turn signals, on Monday while driving home from San Jose, I tried to hold the lever up while it was auto canceling and it snapped one of the existing spring hooks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.1.jpg)

Took the dimensions of the good hook to figure out the profile I needed to make for the blank...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.2.jpg)

and went over to the milling machine.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.3.jpg)

I milled down some aluminum to match the profile and cut the pieces out.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.4.jpg)

And then after finalizing the shape with files, sandpaper, and a bandsaw, I reinstalled it in the steering wheel with some lubrication.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981090.6.jpg)

Attached the steering wheel and gave it a quick test before heading back home.
Works just like before now.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 31 2018, 07:16 AM
Post #11089

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 31 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #11090

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 06:40 AM) *

I have this gauge but have not installed it yet. I have the wire run from the #3 spark plug up thru the tunnel into the center console area. How was it wiring it up? I was having a hard time figuring out which wire went to what for the light etc. I have to go back and do a search of what is what in the console. I already have the oil temp gauge , volt gauge and a AF meter wired up, so I assume I will have to do some splicing again and hack into the harness to wire it up. any quick hints ?

IIRC, you just need a 12v & ground for the light in the gage. It is dead to the nuts accurate. Dakota's engineers are more than happy to assist with any questions or problems you encounter. Do they still offer only a 12 ft lead for the thermocouple? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Oct 31 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #11091

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think they have a couple of different lengths for the thermocouple. Make sure you get/have the one that's the right size for our spark plugs. Wiring is pretty simple: 12v, ground, plus (if you want it), 12v connected to headlights for dimming.

I've been running a DD gauge for a few years now. I really like it, but I've noticed something interesting and would be curious if you have a similar experience. When I turn the heat on in the car, the CHT temp readings REALLY go up. I'm talking about the difference between say 310 degrees and reading 350 (or higher going up a hill). It seems to be worse if I'm blasting heat to the floor instead of defrost, and my gauge is under the dash.

I know little (very little) about thermocouples work, but I know it has to do with temperature differences. So I've pondered whether the increased temp readings I'm seeing are REAL or due to the thermocouple. Yesterday, for example, I had the top off driving home but ran the heat as it was a little cool outside. I didn't seem to notice particularly higher readings.

+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Oct 31 2018, 09:37 AM
Post #11092

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 31 2018, 03:18 AM) *

Today I repaired my broken auto-cancel turn signals, on Monday while driving home from San Jose, I tried to hold the lever up while it was auto canceling and it snapped one of the existing spring hooks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.1.jpg)

Took the dimensions of the good hook to figure out the profile I needed to make for the blank...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.2.jpg)

and went over to the milling machine.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.4.jpg)

And then after finalizing the shape with files, sandpaper, and a bandsaw, I reinstalled it in the steering wheel with some lubrication.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981089.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1540981090.6.jpg)

Attached the steering wheel and gave it a quick test before heading back home.
Works just like before now.

nicely done! good job sir!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 31 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #11093

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 31 2018, 09:39 AM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Oct 26 2018, 06:40 AM) *

IIRC, you just need a 12v & ground for the light in the gage. It is dead to the nuts accurate. Dakota's engineers are more than happy to assist with any questions or problems you encounter. Do they still offer only a 12 ft lead for the thermocouple? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 31 2018, 09:50 AM) *

I think they have a couple of different lengths for the thermocouple. Make sure you get/have the one that's the right size for our spark plugs. Wiring is pretty simple: 12v, ground, plus (if you want it), 12v connected to headlights for dimming.

I've been running a DD gauge for a few years now. I really like it, but I've noticed something interesting and would be curious if you have a similar experience. When I turn the heat on in the car, the CHT temp readings REALLY go up. I'm talking about the difference between say 310 degrees and reading 350 (or higher going up a hill). It seems to be worse if I'm blasting heat to the floor instead of defrost, and my gauge is under the dash.

I know little (very little) about thermocouples work, but I know it has to do with temperature differences. So I've pondered whether the increased temp readings I'm seeing are REAL or due to the thermocouple. Yesterday, for example, I had the top off driving home but ran the heat as it was a little cool outside. I didn't seem to notice particularly higher readings.

Interesting, I will look for that when I get the gauge wired. I did order the longer wire I think it was 16ft so way more than I needed and I had the correct size for our plugs, I put all that in when getting new tin back on motor back in July, but just didn't have time to wire the Gauge in the tunnel but the yellow wire is run all the way up in there and ready for me to slice and dice into my console harness to add the 12v wire for the light. I have not done this due to the fact that it will be an all day ordeal to make a new face plate to fit 4 rather than 3 gauges.
I was thinking about having the guy that does the carbon fiber ones make one for me.
once I have the face plate made it should get done on a Saturday. I just didn't want to tear into it before the Concours show in HHI this weekend.

I will watch the heat and see if the temp gauge is effected by the cabin heat etc. you would think this should not effect that gauge reading at all, but as you said I am not an expert in this are either.
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Oct 31 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #11094

Member No.: 18,880

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 31 2018, 08:37 AM) *

nicely done! good job sir!

Thanks! Went through a couple end mills making it unfortunately, not used to making slots that small, but it seems to be doing just fine so far!
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Oct 31 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #11095

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

drove it, then a "pit stop":

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 31 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #11096

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 31 2018, 03:18 AM) *
Today I repaired my broken auto-cancel turn signals ...

Nice work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

My old BMW had some plastic parts on the sunroof cable that, for some reason, would break every couple of years. They were part of the assembly that lifted the rear of the sunroof into place at the point of complete closure (I believe its the same mechanism that was used on Audi/VW, Mercedes and Porsche sunroofs of that time period). I got tired of replacing the cables, so I inserted a small chunk of wood to press the rear of the sunroof up into place and never opened it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) - but many times I thought about machining those failing parts out of aluminum.

Same goes for some hinge bars for the 1/4 windows on my Tundra - plastic ones that are well known for their tendency to break. However, a guy started making them out of aluminum and sells them on ebay for about $10./pr. I purchased a couple pairs and installed them on my Tundra, as well as a friend's daughter's Tundra. Sure beats spending $80. for 2 new latch assemblies from Toyota every time (you cannot buy the hinge bars separately).
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 31 2018, 05:30 PM
Post #11097

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(anderssj @ Oct 31 2018, 03:21 PM) *

drove it, then a "pit stop":

Attached Image

home made brunswick stew, yum! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 1 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #11098

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Drove both 914's and did some rearranging in the garage... big PCA concours in Scottsdale on Saturday and I'm entering the bahia '73...Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Nov 1 2018, 11:44 PM
Post #11099

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I took my car over to the tire shop to get exact accurate tire pressure on all four tires. They were actually all low on pressure, and the drive is much better now.

Something to think about......

I then took off down the coast toward San Diego just to dust the little beast off. I forget how much fun this car is.
+Quote Post
RAB914
post Nov 2 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #11100

Member No.: 8,201

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 553 554 555 556 557 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:18 AM