Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 633 634 635 636 637 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
rgalla9146
post Mar 15 2020, 05:30 PM
Post #12681

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Copied factory parts to fabricate a hand throttle for my GT project.
Cut up a heat control lever and welded it to copy shape of throttle lever.
(temporary green plastic for bushings)
Welded long 4mm bolt to length of brake tubing, welded solid rod into other end.
Fabricated rod support from small piece of 90 degree scrap.
Welded 'wing' onto throttle belcrank at pedal cluster for rod to push against.
Still need to find a ball to weld to new throttle lever.
First photo shows reshaped lever on right
Almost done

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 15 2020, 05:53 PM
Post #12682

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Trying to refresh the intake/FI system. Finished taking off the plenum(damn you slot head screws!) and cleaned up the engine tin and top of case. I still have a lot of cleaning to do, but this thing had a ton of dirt, grease, & general debris on it. Also need to sand/grind the surface rust off the battery tray.

I wanted to know if anyone has ever sprayed/poured anything into the plenum and let soak to remove the grime that has settled on the bottom? Same question for the runners? Finally, I'm seeing what look to be some hairline cracks on the top of the case. Does this look normal or concerning? EDIT: I think they're just imperfections in the case.Thanks !

I would suggest that if you have the ability to weld up the two sides of the intake plenum. This is now standard practice for me anytime I refresh a system as I've had multiple cars that leaked there.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 15 2020, 11:00 PM
Post #12683

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 15 2020, 03:53 PM) *
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 15 2020, 12:54 PM) *
Trying to refresh the intake/FI system. Finished taking off the plenum(damn you slot head screws!) and cleaned up the engine tin and top of case. I still have a lot of cleaning to do, but this thing had a ton of dirt, grease, & general debris on it. Also need to sand/grind the surface rust off the battery tray.

I wanted to know if anyone has ever sprayed/poured anything into the plenum and let soak to remove the grime that has settled on the bottom? Same question for the runners? Finally, I'm seeing what look to be some hairline cracks on the top of the case. Does this look normal or concerning? EDIT: I think they're just imperfections in the case.Thanks !
I would suggest that if you have the ability to weld up the two sides of the intake plenum. This is now standard practice for me anytime I refresh a system as I've had multiple cars that leaked there.
Any of the 'Foamy Bright' water soluble de-greasers work good on that grime, although you might get a variety of stiff bristle brushes to help (including tooth brushes). Spray, soak, brush, spray again, then hose down with high pressure water ... then air blow dry.

What appear to be cracks are just mold slag, nothing to be concerned with. You can grind/file them down if it makes you feel better. I did on a few cases.

914 Rubber sells a nifty kit of stainless steel Allen bolts if you hate the cheese-heads. That's all I use any more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Mar 16 2020, 05:20 AM
Post #12684

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 15 2020, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Mar 15 2020, 03:53 PM) *
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 15 2020, 12:54 PM) *

Any of the 'Foamy Bright' water soluble de-greasers work good on that grime, although you might get a variety of stiff bristle brushes to help (including tooth brushes). Spray, soak, brush, spray again, then hose down with high pressure water ... then air blow dry.

What appear to be cracks are just mold slag, nothing to be concerned with. You can grind/file them down if it makes you feel better. I did on a few cases.

914 Rubber sells a nifty kit of stainless steel Allen bolts if you hate the cheese-heads. That's all I use any more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I've got an order to place at 914 Rubber, and their allen heads are definitely on the list. Thinking about hitting the runners with a long flexible brush to get all the soot /grime out. Thanks to @DRPHIL914 and @dlee6204 as well.... all good advice. On a separate note, Doug I'll take a set of those aluminum rocker covers....beautiful work!
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 16 2020, 06:57 AM
Post #12685

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Well I haven't done squat with my 914 in quite some time other than gingerly drive it to a few local events. I'm trying to get back into gear (pun intended) and make further progress before summer.

During my last couple track events I had tremendous difficulty with shifting, mainly 2-3 but it was not consistent. Now I know why.

First I found a seal/bushing in the base of my ancient 1st-gen Rennshift had slipped out of place and partly jammed the shift lever itself. I've had several issues with this Rennshift unit so it's not going back in the car, can't trust it.

Then I found a totally destroyed bushing at the trans end. Chunks fell out when I removed the cover. Luckily the firewall and other rear bushing are good/newer.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 16 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #12686

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 16 2020, 05:57 AM) *

Well I haven't done squat with my 914 in quite some time other than gingerly drive it to a few local events. I'm trying to get back into gear (pun intended) and make further progress before summer.

During my last couple track events I had tremendous difficulty with shifting, mainly 2-3 but it was not consistent. Now I know why.

First I found a seal/bushing in the base of my ancient 1st-gen Rennshift had slipped out of place and partly jammed the shift lever itself. I've had several issues with this Rennshift unit so it's not going back in the car, can't trust it.

Then I found a totally destroyed bushing at the trans end. Chunks fell out when I removed the cover. Luckily the firewall and other rear bushing are good/newer.

Attached Image

Slamming thru the gears again huh Chris?
Me? I just washed the 914 as it was sunny out and not too cold (42) plus the underside of the engine/tranny.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 16 2020, 10:57 PM
Post #12687

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

Installed a new Odyssey AGM battery today. Had to make a custom hold-down for it as it’s much smaller than the old school battery it replaced. Hopefully it lasts a good long time.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 17 2020, 11:03 AM
Post #12688

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 16 2020, 04:57 AM) *

Attached Image
Hmmm ... that cup bushing looks like it's made from a pliable rubber, not hard plastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 17 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #12689

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92JG43FPog/

Started it first time this year !
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Mar 17 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #12690

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 17 2020, 12:59 PM) *

Mats...sounds great my friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/252.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/287.gif)

Oscar
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cali914
post Mar 17 2020, 02:23 PM
Post #12691

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Dream about if i will ever get it running with Corona virus cancelling everything in sight
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 17 2020, 10:18 PM
Post #12692

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

914 Quarantine is fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Replaced some rubber stuff, took the wheels off to check out the brakes and see what I had going on in there, front's have brake ducts I didn't know about
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 17 2020, 11:52 PM
Post #12693

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 17 2020, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Mar 17 2020, 12:59 PM) *

Mats...sounds great my friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/252.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/287.gif)

Oscar

Yes but once its back on the ground the really though choice will have to be made.
Which keyfob should I run this season? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Mar 19 2020, 08:51 AM
Post #12694

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

I have been working on the Cold Air Intake for Carerror. I posted some new pictures on her build thread oer in the Paddock.
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Mar 19 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #12695

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600

I've only been able to watch the '74 get rained on for the past week or ten days.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Mar 19 2020, 11:11 AM
Post #12696

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Swapped out the OE Frunk seal with the 914 rubber version. The OE one wasn't bad per say but with the glued sections etc, compared to the 914 Rubber re-pop it's not nearly as good.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 19 2020, 12:23 PM
Post #12697

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Mar 19 2020, 08:22 AM) *

I've only been able to watch the '74 get rained on for the past week or ten days.....

They do make bigger tarps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Mar 19 2020, 12:28 PM
Post #12698

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600

QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 19 2020, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Mar 19 2020, 08:22 AM) *

They do make bigger tarps... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It only leaks into the cabin. The rest is solid (I get the joke btw, just being a smart a$$)
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Mar 22 2020, 11:49 AM
Post #12699

Member No.: 21,317

Hit one of the runners with some 80 grit. Kind of like the look. Thinking of clearing the runners and painting the base matte black.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Mar 22 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #12700

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Thought I would try again to work on the high idle. Hot it would idle at about 1350, that was with the idle screw on the throttle body totally closed. I was thinking it may just be the nature of the beast. I believe Raby recommended setting the idle for the 9590 cam at > 1000 anyway.

I had checked all the vacuum hose connections and was sure everything was tight.

I am running the 123 ign dizzy for d-jet and had it programmed to the "2" setting with the vacuum line hooked to the advance port on the throttle body.

I remember Rob @BeatNavy write about using the "B" setting and hooking up the Vac retard port on his engine. This seemed to work good for him. but since we have different ECU I used the "2" setting.

So I switched them around and am also using the "B" setting and vac retard and I have an adjustable idle now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

With plenty of adjustment room using just the idle screw on the throttle body. and am able to further fine tune it with the knob on the ECU.

It just keeps getting better and better...
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 633 634 635 636 637 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:16 PM