Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

838 Pages V « < 637 638 639 640 641 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
brcacti
post Mar 31 2020, 06:16 PM
Post #12761

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

How hard is it to replace the throttle cable? When starting up for the first time daily it seems a little stuck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 31 2020, 06:29 PM
Post #12762

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(brcacti @ Mar 31 2020, 05:16 PM) *

How hard is it to replace the throttle cable? When starting up for the first time daily it seems a little stuck

newbie DIY guy can do it. It goes out to the rear by the firewall.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 31 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #12763

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(brcacti @ Mar 31 2020, 05:16 PM) *

Not bad, in a nutshell you: pop off cable from pedal pivot>remove ball socket and retaining nut>optional to tie small string to old cable while still in car>disconnect cable from FI or carbs>pull out near bottom of engine firewall>Installation reverse order more or less.

+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Mar 31 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #12764

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(euro911 @ Mar 31 2020, 02:12 AM) *

Congrats, Ravi! ... you're gonna love it.

It took me 3 years to get my first 4-post lift assembled at the shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) ... but it was due to extenuating circumstances (recovery from a few surgeries took a long time) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Jaime ( @oldschool ) shot some footage of the lift assembly portion of the August 2012 event,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/C1WYx5iTMd8

... and here's the carb clinic footage: https://vimeo.com/48278551

Marc,
I remember that event fondly. That is where is truly understood how great the 914 community is to help each other.
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Mar 31 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #12765

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407

Worked on an old fan shroud for a six cylinder motor. Need to repair the German phenolic plastic shroud. I’m in a quandary what’s the best repair, do I use Fiberglass.?

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 31 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #12766

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Bucci @ Mar 31 2020, 09:59 PM) *

Worked on an old fan shroud for a six cylinder motor. Need to repair the German phenolic plastic shroud. I’m in a quandary what’s the best repair, do I use Fiberglass.?

I didn't watch the guys at our shop do the work but I believe many times they would glass in a small piece of flat sheet steel with the appropriate shape and build it up with a bit of glass to make it invisible.
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Mar 31 2020, 08:10 PM
Post #12767

Bucci

Chris, I believe those bushings should be put in dry no grease or very little they get destroyed that way if I remember correctly...!

Marc

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 16 2020, 04:57 AM) *

Well I haven't done squat with my 914 in quite some time other than gingerly drive it to a few local events. I'm trying to get back into gear (pun intended) and make further progress before summer.

During my last couple track events I had tremendous difficulty with shifting, mainly 2-3 but it was not consistent. Now I know why.

First I found a seal/bushing in the base of my ancient 1st-gen Rennshift had slipped out of place and partly jammed the shift lever itself. I've had several issues with this Rennshift unit so it's not going back in the car, can't trust it.

Then I found a totally destroyed bushing at the trans end. Chunks fell out when I removed the cover. Luckily the firewall and other rear bushing are good/newer.

+Quote Post
Bucci
post Mar 31 2020, 08:13 PM
Post #12768

Bucci

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 31 2020, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Bucci @ Mar 31 2020, 09:59 PM) *

I didn't watch the guys at our shop do the work but I believe many times they would glass in a small piece of flat sheet steel with the appropriate shape and build it up with a bit of glass to make it invisible.

Thanks for the info, I was going to use Fiberglass probably rough it up with 80 grit and try not to make too hot of a batch.

Marc
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 1 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #12769

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Mar 30 2020, 08:55 PM) *

Finally got the 914 in the air. After a full year after purchasing a Max Jax lift I finally got it installed and ready to lift the 914 and the 911. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Congratulations Ravi. You're going to have a lot of new friends showing up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
63acornwall
post Apr 2 2020, 10:27 AM
Post #12770

Member No.: 22,823

I fitted a seat adjuster handle to the passenger seat to replace the original factory one that had been moved to the driver seat ( the one that breaks because it is used more ! )

Here's the part supplied by Sierra Madre , its pretty chunky weighs quarter pound , and has chunky 6.5mm bolts to secure it .

I googled how to get the (passenger) seat out for a '75 car .....you need to know about the retaining spring plate....and after it was out I had to drill bigger holes in the metal channel that the seat adjuster handle bolts to , existing holes are about 4mm wide .

All went together and good to go !Attached Image
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Apr 2 2020, 01:36 PM
Post #12771

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

Pulled the engine to replace a timing belt and water pump, tidy up a couple small leaks... Still debating a smaller turbo for autocross. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Engine actually sits over on a lot more of an angle in the car. single mount on the front right of engine allows it to pivot when sitting down.
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 2 2020, 04:27 PM
Post #12772

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

delete
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Apr 3 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #12773

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Drove it to work and walmart, parked near 2 Corvettes and fancy Camaro far from the storeAttached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 3 2020, 05:04 PM
Post #12774

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Your timing my friend, is impecable. My son just broke the handle a week ago on my drivers seat - I pulled the seat and fashioned one out of #4 bare Cu. wire that is working fine, but was wondering where I'd ever find a replacement as they are riveted to the steel rail hinged on the seat rail.

Ordering mine from Sierra Madre soon - I'm a past customer.....

GN

QUOTE(63acornwall @ Apr 2 2020, 10:27 AM) *

I fitted a seat adjuster handle to the passenger seat to replace the original factory one that had been moved to the driver seat ( the one that breaks because it is used more ! )

Here's the part supplied by Sierra Madre , its pretty chunky weighs quarter pound , and has chunky 6.5mm bolts to secure it .

I googled how to get the (passenger) seat out for a '75 car .....you need to know about the retaining spring plate....and after it was out I had to drill bigger holes in the metal channel that the seat adjuster handle bolts to , existing holes are about 4mm wide .

All went together and good to go !Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 3 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #12775

Member No.: 21,449

Put in "new to me" 050 distributor to replace my old 231 178 009 with the flat spot - but cannot set spark at TDC and get engine to run......so I posted a detailed request for help on its own thread........

Can't wait to get the 050 working and seeing how much better my 2.0 will run.....

GN
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 3 2020, 05:55 PM
Post #12776

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I was going to put a new master cylinder in it.

The hardline going to the front passenger caliper refused to come off at the MC so I had to cut the line, luckily I bought a set of new brake lines.

Then when I finally removed the partial line from the bango fitting a bunch of the steel threads decided to stay inside the brass part.
I tried to remove them with no luck so I put an ad.in the classifieds.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 3 2020, 06:11 PM
Post #12777

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

@mueller

I have one if you text me 262 364 74twosix your info I will drop it in the mail
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 3 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #12778

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

spent a few hours tidying up the engine compartment, installed the new AAR with new hoses and tool a closer look and inspected all the other vac hoses, had to recheck decel valve hose connections, tightened up hose clamps, eliminated a couple small vac leaks then rechecked timing and did a final tune adjustment to MPS i rebuilt, went for test drive,. i am really close, WOT is perfect , part load is just a bit lean i think, so this may go just a bit more rich. it idle is about perfect, no more bucking. it’s ready for a road trip but this shelter at home thing sucks. i just found out i will be on admin leave for 2 weeks, out till now we’ve been working.

next up fix the issue with the relay/LED lights problem.
+Quote Post
kroelofsen
post Apr 4 2020, 12:59 PM
Post #12779

Member No.: 23,255
Region Association: Europe

Today shot the rear end of my 914 in epoxy primer after applying filler and sanding for many days, major step forward... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The rear panel and rear part of the floor have been replaced.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 4 2020, 07:24 PM
Post #12780

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 3 2020, 11:11 PM) *

spent a few hours tidying up the engine compartment, installed the new AAR with new hoses and tool a closer look and inspected all the other vac hoses, had to recheck decel valve hose connections, tightened up hose clamps, eliminated a couple small vac leaks then rechecked timing and did a final tune adjustment to MPS i rebuilt, went for test drive,. i am really close, WOT is perfect , part load is just a bit lean i think, so this may go just a bit more rich. it idle is about perfect, no more bucking. it’s ready for a road trip but this shelter at home thing sucks. i just found out i will be on admin leave for 2 weeks, out till now we’ve been working.

next up fix the issue with the relay/LED lights problem.

moved the ground wire for the fog light relay to isolate it from headlight switch circuit and in doing so eliminated the issue with LED headlights staying on high beam when fogs were on. pretty easy fix!

Still tuning my MPS, a bit on the lean side.
+Quote Post

838 Pages V « < 637 638 639 640 641 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
28 User(s) are reading this topic (28 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:32 AM