Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 640 641 642 643 644 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
ndfrigi
post Apr 11 2020, 06:42 PM
Post #12821

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 9 2020, 09:36 PM) *

Finally after many months of not doing anything with it. Today raining but able to pull out the boxster and wife verano out of the garage and did several to the project.

1. Opened the box from 914rubber to check the visor. Beautiful piece!
2. Pull the 914 from the corner using the 4 wheel dollies.
3. Try fitting the triad that I bought from a member
4. Removed old clutch cable, trottle cable and speedo cable
5. Removed the 3 pieces engine bay/tin seal
6. Test fit the dual carb velocity stock

More cleaning done today and waiting in the mail my Googoo cleaner if I can remove those firewall adhesive or tar.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 11 2020, 06:52 PM
Post #12822

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Put about 100 miles on her today just cause she's running so well and so much fun to drive. Did have to run to daughter's house about 20 miles away to put in a new deadbolt for her - but it's twisties all the way - so that just was part of the fun.

What I want to know is what stock car - 1970 - 1976 - handled better than a 914, other than perhaps a 911, and I'm not even sure about that? For under $75k then?

GN
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Apr 12 2020, 05:54 PM
Post #12823

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

Changed a water pump and came to a halt, parts store got me the wrong timing belt /tensioner pulley..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Engine came with two different tensioners and belts depending on year. NOT interchangeable.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Apr 13 2020, 09:24 AM
Post #12824

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

drove out to the supermarket and then to the oldies with some meds for them. then home. lockdown time
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Apr 13 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #12825

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600

put the first coat(s) of catalyzed primer on to the new deck lid for the '74. Using PPG Shopline, in black for this one. Used white on the '75.
It's only up to 80grit right now, this coming weekend, I'm going to cut it back with 150g, do the final touch up with some polyester and then prime it again.
Gonna jam the underside as well, if I have time. The black paint is just itche'n to be sprayed somewhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 13 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #12826

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Finally some noteworthy/forward progress ... got a call from Richard (@Type 4 Unleashed) this afternoon - the assembled/balanced 1911 long block for 'HOWARD' is ready to pick up at European Motor Works' shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Just finished up with the valve train geometry (head work, Chromoly push rods & 911 swivel-foot adjusters) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I need to dig out the TB plenum and intake runners so I can soda blast and paint them, and eventually start putting the rest of the components on it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 13 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #12827

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Driving last night after supper, 3/4 mile from home, tach went wild, engine suddenly died. I knew I'd lost ignition. Just made it coasting into friend's drive way.

Had daughter come get my truck & tow rope, towed car home just as huge storm was starting - too tired to mess with car.

This morning - yup - no spark. Quickly found whoever installed the MSD over 15 years ago knew nothing about how to crimp electrical connectors.....his crimp had failed and the wire pulled out of the fitting (in electrical industry, we call them Sta-Kons).

Boy am I glad the problem was so simple! Put on a quality terminal with a professional Klein crimper, and she's back to running great.

Just love simple problems. I usually only have the complex ones.

Car running great, took wife for a 20 mile ride in twisties to get a MickeyD's ice cream Sundae - and their machine was broken. That's ok. We both enjoyed the 40 mile ride.

GN

GN
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Apr 14 2020, 03:48 PM
Post #12828

Member No.: 10,948
Region Association: Northern California

Finally getting some time to work in the garage.
Got the windshield installed, undercoated the car and installed the front suspension.
The engine long block is arriving later today. Hoping to get the car done before the lock down is over.
Attached ImageAttached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Apr 14 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #12829

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Apr 14 2020, 02:48 PM) *

Got the windshield installed, undercoated the car and installed the front suspension.
The engine long block is arriving later today. Hoping to get the car done before the lock down is over.

@yellowporky That looks really good. Well done there.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 14 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #12830

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just bolting things together.. Making final fuel line connections, tightened all oil lines. Each day I get a couple hours of work in on the car.. Next couple days though I will be back on the basement..
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 14 2020, 05:18 PM
Post #12831

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

@Yellowporky - That is looking real nice. Love the struts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 14 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #12832

Advanced Member

That is beautiful! Do you mind following your style? But for sure not that beautiful, probably if yours is 10 in scale of 1 to 10 rating, mine maybe around 1 and 2 only. hehehe

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Apr 14 2020, 06:46 PM
Post #12833

Member No.: 10,948

Thank you guys for the positive comments.
My secret to progress is child labor
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Apr 14 2020, 07:37 PM
Post #12834

Member No.: 21,596

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 14 2020, 04:29 PM) *

That is beautiful! Do you mind following your style? But for sure not that beautiful, probably if yours is 10 in scale of 1 to 10 rating, mine maybe around 1 and 2 only. hehehe

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks like you need to reset the angle of the drop links so that they are nearly vertical rather than horizontal on the rear anti-sway bar.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 14 2020, 07:54 PM
Post #12835

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Unsuccessfully located what part of the Fuse #8 circuit is causing smoke to appear from the steering column/ignition switch.

Decided to install the new 19mm master cylinder from 914Rubber, the version with the screw in fittings on top. Well, I f'd up and didn't order the fittings and hoses from Mark, found some fitting online and fab'd something up which I don't think is ideal.

Install going horribly slow, the hose I am using is too tight on the white plastic lines to the reservoir so I cannot easily turn them. Needed rest from being under the car and as I was crawling out the master cylinder feel about a foot and hit me in the face. Bruised nose and a cut on my cheek bone and hand when it landed on the ground. Time for a beer!

+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 14 2020, 08:04 PM
Post #12836

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 14 2020, 05:54 PM) *

Unsuccessfully located what part of the Fuse #8 circuit is causing smoke to appear from the steering column/ignition switch.

Decided to install the new 19mm master cylinder from 914Rubber, the version with the screw in fittings on top. Well, I f'd up and didn't order the fittings and hoses from Mark, found some fitting online and fab'd something up which I don't think is ideal.

Install going horribly slow, the hose I am using is too tight on the white plastic lines to the reservoir so I cannot easily turn them. Needed rest from being under the car and as I was crawling out the master cylinder feel about a foot and hit me in the face. Bruised nose and a cut on my cheek bone and hand when it landed on the ground. Time for a beer!

I can tell you that the master cylinder along with fuel line hook ups is about the worst job on these cars.. Absolutely sucks..
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Apr 14 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #12837

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Replaced A-arm bushings with 914rubber bushings. Also replaced balljoints. Next up, trailing arm rubber bushings
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 14 2020, 08:18 PM
Post #12838

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 14 2020, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 14 2020, 05:54 PM) *

I can tell you that the master cylinder along with fuel line hook ups is about the worst job on these cars.. Absolutely sucks..

Yea, and Ian's video shows the install with the steering rack removed. I didn't notice it the 1st time I watched it. I've done a MC years ago and it sucked back then also. Would love to see the dealer book time on one.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 14 2020, 09:14 PM
Post #12839

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Toy @ Apr 14 2020, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 14 2020, 04:29 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks like you need to reset the angle of the drop links so that they are nearly vertical rather than horizontal on the rear anti-sway bar.

Thank you Keith! Those are already installed when I bought this project but I might remove them since I will be using the car for street driving/cruising. And maybe the orientation now looks like that because there is no engine weight now.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 14 2020, 10:08 PM
Post #12840

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 14 2020, 08:14 PM) *

Thank you Keith! Those are already installed when I bought this project but I might remove them since I will be using the car for street driving/cruising. And maybe the orientation now looks like that because there is no engine weight now.

Aftermarket swaybar, doesn't mount to the arms at the shock but on the other side of the axles. Find the Addco install manual.

@ndfrigi
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 640 641 642 643 644 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:41 PM