Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 651 652 653 654 655 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
eric9144
post May 21 2020, 01:55 PM
Post #13041

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Replaced my fuel pump and it fired up on the 1st crank (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtIeQPjBgKQ
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 21 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #13042

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 21 2020, 12:55 PM) *

Great NEWS!!!

Oscar

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post May 21 2020, 02:30 PM
Post #13043

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 21 2020, 12:07 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 21 2020, 01:41 PM) *

I am going to submit a bill to my congressman. I am trying to think of a title. The goal of the bill is that the current owner of a classic car can beat the snot out of the previous owner for shoddy maintenance.

I'm in the process of doing an engine swap. Old 1.7 out, not so old 1.8 going in. I was pulling the old exhaust off the 1.8 when I found it it had six 12mm nuts on the exhaust studs, one 13 mm nut on an exhaust stud and one CV bolt in place of an exhaust stud. WTH???? Four of the studs came out and one snapped off right under the nut. Mismatched hardware and no anti-seize.

There are some Mercedes Benz exhaust manifold nuts that work great on 914 exhaust studs. They are 13mm, they have a shoulder at the base to keep them from getting too close to the pipe as to make them un-removable, and they are zinc coated to keep them from seizing to the stud. Since I started using them, I have not had a single problem with broken exhaust studs.

If you want more info, you can contact my pusher 914 parts guy Aaron ( @partsguy22 ) on here. Tell him I sent you.

Once I figured out what the CV bolt was, it was the easiest to get to and easiest to remove.
Four of the studs are already out and another is broken so it has to come out. Since most of them are out or coming out, I am thinking of pulling the rest and just using socket head cap screws with nord-lock washers.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 21 2020, 02:54 PM
Post #13044

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 21 2020, 03:30 PM) *

I am going to submit a bill to my congressman. I am trying to think of a title. The goal of the bill is that the current owner of a classic car can beat the snot out of the previous owner for shoddy maintenance.

I'm in the process of doing an engine swap. Old 1.7 out, not so old 1.8 going in. I was pulling the old exhaust off the 1.8 when I found it it had six 12mm nuts on the exhaust studs, one 13 mm nut on an exhaust stud and one CV bolt in place of an exhaust stud. WTH???? Four of the studs came out and one snapped off right under the nut. Mismatched hardware and no anti-seize.

There are some Mercedes Benz exhaust manifold nuts that work great on 914 exhaust studs. They are 13mm, they have a shoulder at the base to keep them from getting too close to the pipe as to make them un-removable, and they are zinc coated to keep them from seizing to the stud. Since I started using them, I have not had a single problem with broken exhaust studs.

If you want more info, you can contact my pusher 914 parts guy Aaron ( @partsguy22 ) on here. Tell him I sent you.

Once I figured out what the CV bolt was, it was the easiest to get to and easiest to remove.
Four of the studs are already out and another is broken so it has to come out. Since most of them are out or coming out, I am thinking of pulling the rest and just using socket head cap screws with nord-lock washers.

That's not really a good idea. It is far easier to strip the threads out of the heads with any bolt than it is to use a stud and the proper nut. Most people just use whatever nut they have handy. That causes the exhaust heat to seize the nut to the stud. Then the stud unscrews, and sometimes that brings the threads in the head with it.

Just put the studs back, and use some nuts that won't seize to the studs. The MB ones work great for me, but YMMV.
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post May 21 2020, 03:02 PM
Post #13045

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 21 2020, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 21 2020, 03:30 PM) *

That's not really a good idea. It is far easier to strip the threads out of the heads with any bolt than it is to use a stud and the proper nut. Most people just use whatever nut they have handy. That causes the exhaust heat to seize the nut to the stud. Then the stud unscrews, and sometimes that brings the threads in the head with it.

Just put the studs back, and use some nuts that won't seize to the studs. The MB ones work great for me, but YMMV.

That makes sense. Four of the existing studs are locked/seized to the nuts so based on what you just said, I'm thinking I'll pull the remaining studs and replace them and try out the MB exhaust nuts. Thanks Clay!
+Quote Post
sb914
post May 24 2020, 07:08 AM
Post #13046

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Went for a short drive and seen a bunch of Ferrari’s. Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 24 2020, 08:38 AM
Post #13047

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

little trip to savannah and a gathering that got scrubbed due to lack of permit by the organizers so we went for bit to eat burgers and beers so all is good!(yesterday)

and a few other modern porsche’s there too, only had about a half hour before we had to leave, couple Ferrari’s too, lots of other stuff. well, maybe we wil have better luck for the cruise-in scheduled for thursday evening in HHi!
cheers!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 24 2020, 09:36 AM
Post #13048

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(sb914 @ May 24 2020, 06:08 AM) *
Went for a short drive and seen a bunch of Ferrari’s.

Attached Image

... and one Ferrari Killer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post May 24 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #13049

Member No.: 21,449

Great pics Phil. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 24 2020, 08:38 AM) *

little trip to savannah and a gathering that got scrubbed due to lack of permit by the organizers so we went for bit to eat burgers and beers so all is good!(yesterday)

and a few other modern porsche’s there too, only had about a half hour before we had to leave, couple Ferrari’s too, lots of other stuff. well, maybe we wil have better luck for the cruise-in scheduled for thursday evening in HHi!
cheers!

+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 24 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #13050

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Cleaned the windshield, plugged in the radar detector, adjusted the mirror, (all in that order), and went for an early morning drive with some friends. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
simonjb
post May 24 2020, 08:40 PM
Post #13051

KiwiMan

Member No.: 20,505
Region Association: North East States

Added 3rd brake light
Attached Image
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 24 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #13052

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

nice light @simonjb ! And even nicer stable...

I did a little night washing...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RickS
post May 24 2020, 11:26 PM
Post #13053

Member No.: 5,880

Drove it to a small outdoor party. When arriving back home and stopping while the garage door was opening, noticed that the shift lever (Rennshifter) was spinning loosely on its mounting peg. Was able to do a complete 360 with it. Luckily we were home and so put some thread lock on the two Allen bolts and tightened them back up. The Mrs was never the wiser, since she knows the history of breakdowns and sundry mishaps. She doesn’t need to be spooked any more.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 25 2020, 01:05 AM
Post #13054

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Cleaned up an area behind the main driveway's gate, allowing us to get 'HOWARD' off of the mid-rise lift and moved into the back yard.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Need the lift to drop the entire front suspension out of the Ghia for a total rebuild, as well as installing a rebuilt transaxle.

Attached Image

Once the Ghia's done, we can move 'HOWARD' back onto the lift and prep for it's F & R suspension rebuild.
+Quote Post
Michael N
post May 25 2020, 11:26 PM
Post #13055

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

Took it out for a trip to Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley from San Jose. Take out menu and picnic in the parking lot with the family. My 17 year old daughter chased me thru the backroads with her Mini Cooper.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 26 2020, 12:04 AM
Post #13056

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(Michael N @ May 25 2020, 10:26 PM) *

Took it out for a trip to Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley from San Jose. Take out menu and picnic in the parking lot with the family. My 17 year old daughter chased me thru the backroads with her Mini Cooper.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Great photos Michael...here's a photo of @LS1V8Jerry car this morning. @SB914 took the photo. I cleaned it up a bit.

Oscar

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 26 2020, 05:32 AM
Post #13057

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 26 2020, 02:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Michael N @ May 25 2020, 10:26 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Great photos Michael...here's a photo of @LS1V8Jerry car this morning. @SB914 took the photo. I cleaned it up a bit.

Oscar

Attached Image

that’s really cool, what did you use for that effect Oscar?
+Quote Post
cali914
post May 26 2020, 08:44 AM
Post #13058

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Is that a cooper S ?
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post May 26 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #13059

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600

Finished replacing the full set of targa seals from 914Rubber.
WHAT A HUGE difference they make. Soooo much quieter, no rattling or thuds while going over bumps anymore.
Awesome!
+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post May 26 2020, 12:58 PM
Post #13060

Member No.: 20,051

QUOTE(mmichalik @ May 26 2020, 08:54 AM) *

Finished replacing the full set of targa seals from 914Rubber.
WHAT A HUGE difference they make. Soooo much quieter, no rattling or thuds while going over bumps anymore.
Awesome!

I have my wife hold down her side of the roof if she in the car with me and it keeps the rattles to a minimum (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 651 652 653 654 655 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:05 PM