Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 654 655 656 657 658 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
brcacti
post Jun 5 2020, 03:44 PM
Post #13101

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 5 2020, 02:26 PM) *

Washed it up for the drive tomorrow. "Someone" was breaking in new tires and there was tire soot all over the back end (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) also wanted to make sure the oil was all off from my last attempt to go to a drive

Hehehe, looks frozen solid
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jun 5 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #13102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 5 2020, 02:38 PM) *

Wow ! That’s a lot of soap! It will probably lather up every time it gets wet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And most member here won’t soak the 914 like that. There is a thread about washing our 914 like a newer car since 914 has a lot of places where water can get into hidden places.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 5 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #13103

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

With engine dropped, pretty much finished welding 9" x 10" patch on muffler to hold me until I can build/make my own system.

Also almost finished prepping tins for repaint. And forgive me if I'm repeating myself: New alternator in, net t-stat and wire in, cooling flaps in, engine & tranny cleaned - but that was weeks ago before our week at the beach where it was in the low 60's and/or rainy......still had a good time with family.

GN
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 5 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #13104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2020, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jun 5 2020, 02:38 PM) *

Wow ! That’s a lot of soap! It will probably lather up every time it gets wet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

And most member here won’t soak the 914 like that. There is a thread about washing our 914 like a newer car since 914 has a lot of places where water can get into hidden places.

Its a foam blaster from Griots, makes washes nearly 'touchless'. And don't be fooled, I have plastic completely covering the engine bay held down by magnets when I do this, and I do this rarely but had a pretty significant oil smoking issue (the car not me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) and had to get all the residue off. I remove the front trunk seal when I dry off as well as get into the rear trunk, interior behind the seats etc.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 6 2020, 07:53 AM
Post #13105

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 4 2020, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jun 1 2020, 02:29 PM) *

Sanding and putting on more glue.

Trying to get the trailing edge of the targa bar fairing to come to a point.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thats a new one Joe!!! Going for aerodynamics and maintaining the targa bar?

Yeah Andrew, if the scoops work the way I think they will the Targa Bar will disappear in the eye of the wind.
Scoops mounted.

Attached Image

That picture just gave me a laugh. VW in the background is up on the stands and the Porsche is not.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 6 2020, 07:58 AM
Post #13106

Yesterday...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 6 2020, 08:16 PM
Post #13107

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

been testing out some D-jet parts for GN(Gatornapper) , which has also given me the chance to see is a different mps, tps etc help the car run better .... then put my ECU back in and moved the mount location of the charcoal canister, i hates it in the battery tray side it was in the way if i wanted to get at the ECU idle adjustment , and the MPS etc too. now it’s on the fan housing, much better!
Rich- your MPS is in need of a rebuild it does not hold vac, it’s wrong #, for a 1.7, and someone drilled a hole in the end cap so they could adjust it- probably due to trying to run it on a 2.0 car, or thought that would help but the diaphragm was already torn most likely. the TPS ran but bucked a lot due to the wear on the board, but your ECU is good to go!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 9 2020, 11:22 PM
Post #13108

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Well, not exclusively 914 related, as it will work on a wide array of automobiles - ordered this rolling jack for my 4-post lift today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

This will allow for wheel, brake & suspension work on the 4-post while the mid-rise lift is occupied (the Ghia will be resting on the mid-rise for a while).

... also received some FAG rear wheel bearings for 'HOWARD', along with some stuff for the Cayman. (We put over 200 miles on the Cayman in the past two days) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 10 2020, 11:00 AM
Post #13109

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

A little work on my floor design with keeping the hoses out from under the car, should I need to go that way. My plans are to mount the radiator in a different location to be revealed at some future date but meanwhile, I'll keep my fuel and brake lines out of the passenger compartment... I'll feel safer.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 10 2020, 10:16 PM
Post #13110

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

euro- you'll love the rolling jack- I have two of them on my 4 post lift. Good for suspension work etc though you still have to work around the ramps, which definitely get in the way if you want to lower the engine/transaxle for example.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 11 2020, 12:03 AM
Post #13111

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Hey Stu - the main purpose I envisioned for the jack is to accommodate suspension work while the mid-rise is occupied. Even though the mid-rise is perfect for suspension work, I also plan on utilizing it for drive train drops ... especially for the tail draggers.

The Ghia will be getting a full-on suspension rebuild and a rebuilt transaxle installed fairly soon.

Attached Image

I need to replace some minor suspension components on a couple other vehicles as well, so the jack will be a great addition to the 4-post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Looking forward to checking out your 'car condo'. We're drawing up plans for a 8' or 10' x 16' loft in the AZ RV garage - mainly for storage, but possibly putting a sit-down work bench up there too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 12 2020, 06:19 AM
Post #13112

Thanks Phil for all your work and help.

Might just look for a good 2.0 MPS instead of having mine rebuilt......

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jun 6 2020, 08:16 PM) *

been testing out some D-jet parts for GN(Gatornapper) , which has also given me the chance to see is a different mps, tps etc help the car run better .... then put my ECU back in and moved the mount location of the charcoal canister, i hates it in the battery tray side it was in the way if i wanted to get at the ECU idle adjustment , and the MPS etc too. now it’s on the fan housing, much better!
Rich- your MPS is in need of a rebuild it does not hold vac, it’s wrong #, for a 1.7, and someone drilled a hole in the end cap so they could adjust it- probably due to trying to run it on a 2.0 car, or thought that would help but the diaphragm was already torn most likely. the TPS ran but bucked a lot due to the wear on the board, but your ECU is good to go!

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 12 2020, 06:23 AM
Post #13113

Still working on tins & stuff with engine down.

Good news yesterday - on checking Porsche dealer service records I discover the new master cylinder installed about 4k miles ago is indeed a 911 master cylinder.

That, along with the i320 front brake calipers (PO told me about them) is just another one of dozens of great things I keep finding on this sweet 914 that was thrown in my lap 3 years ago.........

GN
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 12 2020, 08:28 AM
Post #13114

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 12 2020, 08:19 AM) *

Thanks Phil for all your work and help.

Might just look for a good 2.0 MPS instead of having mine rebuilt......

GN

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jun 6 2020, 08:16 PM) *

I have an idea about that.... pm sent.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 13 2020, 07:01 AM
Post #13115

Formed a small fairing to tie the Targa Bar Fairing to the Cold Air Intake scoop. Tidied up the end of the Targa Bar and makes everything look much cleaner.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
911GT2
post Jun 13 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #13116

Member No.: 12,773
Region Association: Europe

Sometimes you just feel stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So today I drove the 914 out of the garage to swap the transmission oil. I want to change all the fluids on the car so I know all is well. Last week I drained the old US fuel (sorry your low octane fuel really had to go) and replaced the filters an lines where I could. (painting on a stainless steel kit) Anyway, when I turned on the car the fuel pump primed and kept screaming at me. I was afraid cavitation was going to kill it so I switched it on after 20 or seconds and I drove the car out and started to look around the pump, no real issues but a minor kink in the fuel line. So again I replaced all the lines, fuel filter and made sure to leave no kinks in the lines this time.

Surely it would prime now!

Contact, again the sound that sounded like a screaming fuel pump. So I switched it off again.

I sat in the car going through all the things I've done last week and I realised I cleaned the interior too. While cleaning, the leaver form the heater fan was moved to the 'on' position. Being used to bugs and early bay window busses I thought the leaver would work in the same way it does there, just opens a flap.
When I pressed it forward my 'screaming fuel pump' turned out to be a happy little camper. I had just mistaken the heater fan for a faulty fuel pump. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I did find a little chunk on the gearbox oil drain plug though. Doesn't look like a broken tooth.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 13 2020, 04:57 PM
Post #13117

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

Replaced the front trunk cable on BB. The plastic sheath was broken in multiple places and it was darn near impossible to get the latch to release.

After cleaning the latch and replacing the cable/sheath it opens smooth as butter!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 13 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #13118

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Drove out to San Rafael to do a ppi for a friend who's looking to buy a 914 and it turned out it was Bill's @Grimstead old car ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Jun 13 2020, 08:48 PM
Post #13119

Replaced the original (I think) tranny oil with Swepco 201 as recommended here.

Magnet on plug had a lot of fine, tiny pieces of steel on it, but nothing that concerned me. 2nd gear synchro occasionally fails (1 out of 20 shifts? less?), but the service manager at Porsche dealer told me that when I got records from him right after purchasing car. He remembered everything about the car from 17 years ago because they rarely service 914s.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Jun 14 2020, 12:41 PM
Post #13120

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, I loosened the nut to the clutch cable circle where it makes the bend and inspected the cable for next season of driving starting Oct 15, the weather gets better. I did not find any problems with it. Recently I remember someone on here said no grease for the cable and wheel but I forgot what they said to put on it, anyone remember?
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 654 655 656 657 658 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 07:12 PM