Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 664 665 666 667 668 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Cairo94507
post Aug 11 2020, 02:01 PM
Post #13301

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Took it for a drive and this baby just cruises on the freeway at 75 like it's sitting still. Good oil pressure and the engine is running beautifully. Car rides great on the freeway. Of course no top and windows down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 11 2020, 03:06 PM
Post #13302

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 11 2020, 12:39 PM) *
Thinking about installing a Utah themed pistol grip shift handle...

Is that going to make your car 'ski-daddle' down the road faster? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 12 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #13303

Michael

Took it for a nice drive and then stopped by my brother's work so his co-workers could see it. They were all "car people" and were blown away by the car. They said it looked better than when they were brand new. I had to agree. Running and driving great. Yes, top off and windows down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 16 2020, 07:40 AM
Post #13304

Michael

So @tygaboy held an impromptu gathering at his shop and my brother and I drove my Six. It was a great drive, save the 30 minutes or so that we were stuck in 1-2 MPH traffic on the Richmond San Rafael Bridge due to a pretty serious accident. But I am happy to report the car handled it flawlessly. The weather was hot and we had the top off for the drive to Chris' place.

When we arrived there was a host of other 914 owners present and there were a couple 914's present. I am horrible with names so forgive me for not mentioning everyone.

There was donuts and coffee (yay and thank you to whomever brought that) and I indulged in a glazed donut or two.

We all got a chance to look at my car and we discovered I need the spring for the driver's door pocket lid as well as a round opaque plastic plug that goes in a hole on the engine tin on the driver's side. I immediately knew what the plug was as soon as someone pointed out the opening. Note to self, get a spring, plastic plug and I need the thick hard rubber welting that goes at the rear edge (closest to the rear trunk) of the engine grill - it goes across the width of the engine lid grill and also has side pieces that go on the short side of the grill too. Those trim pieces we had for my car were in poor condition so it was not installed.

I will be headed down to Jim's for a long ride (800 mile round trip) in the car next month hopefully, schedules permitting, and I hope to really have more miles on the car by them. Yesterday we put about 150 miles on the car and I am tickled with how it runs, rides and handles traffic. Oh, the speedo now says 90,000 miles! When I had the speedo restored, we kept the original miles on it. I have the paperwork and log book from when I bought the car and believe that mileage to be true.

I know people were taking pictures, but as usual I was too distracted talking to people to take pictures. Sorry. I hope others will post up their pics.

For the ride home we put the top on as it was now about 103 degrees out. That was a smart move. We left the windows down and were warm but comfortable.

By the way, the oil cooler system performed flawlessly. Sitting in traffic on the bridge, I watched the oil temperature climb about 40 degrees to about 210 degrees. As soon as we passed the accident and traffic was moving within about 2 miles the temperature had dropped back to normal.

Thanks to Chris who hosted this and Yes, we all were wearing masks unless drinking or eating. Also thanks to everyone who took time out of their weekend to show up and just hangout and talk cars. I had a great time. Thanks everyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 16 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #13305

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 16 2020, 06:40 AM) *

So @tygaboy held an impromptu gathering at his shop and my brother and I drove my Six. It was a great drive, save the 30 minutes or so that we were stuck in 1-2 MPH traffic on the Richmond San Rafael Bridge due to a pretty serious accident. But I am happy to report the car handled it flawlessly. The weather was hot and we had the top off for the drive to Chris' place.

When we arrived there was a host of other 914 owners present and there were a couple 914's present. I am horrible with names so forgive me for not mentioning everyone.

There was donuts and coffee (yay and thank you to whomever brought that) and I indulged in a glazed donut or two.

We all got a chance to look at my car and we discovered I need the spring for the driver's door pocket lid as well as a round opaque plastic plug that goes in a hole on the engine tin on the driver's side. I immediately knew what the plug was as soon as someone pointed out the opening. Note to self, get a spring, plastic plug and I need the thick hard rubber welting that goes at the rear edge (closest to the rear trunk) of the engine grill - it goes across the width of the engine lid grill and also has side pieces that go on the short side of the grill too. Those trim pieces we had for my car were in poor condition so it was not installed.

I will be headed down to Jim's for a long ride (800 mile round trip) in the car next month hopefully, schedules permitting, and I hope to really have more miles on the car by them. Yesterday we put about 150 miles on the car and I am tickled with how it runs, rides and handles traffic. Oh, the speedo now says 90,000 miles! When I had the speedo restored, we kept the original miles on it. I have the paperwork and log book from when I bought the car and believe that mileage to be true.

I know people were taking pictures, but as usual I was too distracted talking to people to take pictures. Sorry. I hope others will post up their pics.

For the ride home we put the top on as it was now about 103 degrees out. That was a smart move. We left the windows down and were warm but comfortable.

By the way, the oil cooler system performed flawlessly. Sitting in traffic on the bridge, I watched the oil temperature climb about 40 degrees to about 210 degrees. As soon as we passed the accident and traffic was moving within about 2 miles the temperature had dropped back to normal.

Thanks to Chris who hosted this and Yes, we all were wearing masks unless drinking or eating. Also thanks to everyone who took time out of their weekend to show up and just hangout and talk cars. I had a great time. Thanks everyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You'll need the plastic sheath for that spring as well. Have Jim install it when you're down there. It's easy to do if you've done it fifteen times, otherwise............... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . When you're up to it try 80mph. Porsche's don't wake up until 80mph. They seem to be in their element at that speed. Glad you're enjoying the thrill. Next drive, have your passenger take a pic of your " (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) eating grin"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 16 2020, 08:35 AM
Post #13306

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

@Cairo94507 @RetroRacer @BuddyV @Krieger @markhoward @fiacra @rmarx
Crap, am I forgetting anyone???

Michael said he wanted to bring his /6 up as one of the first, longer, shakedown runs. I couldn't help myself and let a few of the local 914 Worlders know about it. People dropped what they were planning for a chance to see Michael and his car. And I have to say, well, nothing!
I simply have no words. The car is unbelievable. I'm renaming The Justice League to "Gods of MPA!" (that'd be Metal, Paint and Assembly!)

The car is so understated you could glance at it and only think, "Hmm, pretty clean 914..." But when you look at it for more than 3 seconds you realize you can count the # of hairs on your leg in the reflection of that PERFECT paint. It's ridiculous...

And don't miss a chance to check out Tony's (RetroRacer) and Mark's (markhoward) cars. Both are very cool GT tributes with their own unique touches - Mark's wonderful tartan seats, Raby motor and paint scheme, Tony's crazy nice cage, one-off GT engine lid and revvy 2.2 6!

Let's not forget to give a BIG thanks to Robert (BuddyV) for the coffee and donuts!

And most importantly, thanks to all for coming and helping ensure we build and keep the social connections! How lucky am I that I stumbled into 914 World and all its great people.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Aug 16 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #13307

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thanks all for a much needed, socially distanced, gathering of like minds (especially @Tygaboy for hosting). A few pics:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

- Tony

+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Aug 16 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #13308

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

...and a few of this well-known car, apparently under new ownership!:

Attached Image

Attached Image

- Tony
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Aug 16 2020, 10:40 AM
Post #13309

Member No.: 20,897

had a great time hanging with the crew! michael’s car is amazing. the more you look, the more the attention to detail comes to light. kudos for letting that lovely machine outta the garage!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Aug 16 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #13310

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

Amazing to have a chance to see Michael's car, as well as Tony's and Mark's. Always fun to visit Chris' workshop and see his incredible project. A genius at work... Also picked up a new (to me) scissor lift when I was there. Thanks to @markhoward @tygaboy and @BuddyV for getting that beast into my truck. Next up: getting it out, set up, and starting to use it!
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Aug 16 2020, 11:20 AM
Post #13311

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Removed some pesky bondo they just don’t make like they used to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Aug 16 2020, 01:01 PM
Post #13312

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

First of all...... all four of those cars are awesome! Looks like a good time was had by all...I can't wait to see TygaBoy's finished car.

Today, I took off the rear bumper and ansa exhaust. The Ansa exhaust won't be going back on the car. The original paint under the bumper was still in surprisely good shape. On the downside, I was able to take a closer look at the shift rod cover which has been dangling off the car since I got it. It was cracked, so I went ahead and cut it off, and, in doing so, got a healthy dose of gear oil all over me and my carport floor. Apparently I have a leak coming from the shift rod selector.

....time to order a new seal and o-ring .....looks like I'll have to remove the selector mechanism in the next few weeks, and replace the seals.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 16 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #13313

Michael

@76-914 No worries, I have already had it past 80 MPH. The car just wants to be at speed. On the freeway at 75 MPH (verified by my Waze GPS) I am tacking about 2800 RPM. The engine is actually pretty quiet at the RPM as we had the top off and windows up.

This week I am going to pull all 4 wheels off (I will mark them first so they go back where they were) and take them to get re-spun to make sure they are spot on. Harvey told me after I got a few hundred miles on them to re-balance them as he had a bit of trouble getting them right. At freeway speeds I could feel just a hint of vibration in the steering wheel.

So the way I do that, so I don't stress out, is I put the car on my lift and remove all 4 wheels and put them in the back of the truck and take them in and speak with the guy that my brother deals with for his shop and then have their best technician put them on the balancer without removing any weights to see what they were reading. If they are at zero across the board it just goes back in the truck. If not, I strip the weights, clean off the tape residue and let them put them on their balancer and get them to zero. Then I reinstall them and torque them to 94 foot pounds. The last thing I want is to have a shop, regardless of how careful they say they are, jacking my car up. Kent would be upset with me if I let that happen.

I can't wait to do that. Wednesday is looking like the day I can swing that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 16 2020, 06:38 PM
Post #13314

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 16 2020, 06:40 AM) *

So @tygaboy

We all got a chance to look at my car and we discovered I need the spring for the driver's door pocket lid

@Cairo94507

PM me your address and I’ll send you one!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 17 2020, 06:29 AM
Post #13315

Michael

PM sent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Aug 17 2020, 02:27 PM
Post #13316

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Extreme heat here car is stored started it today, let it run in the morning as I do every two weeksAttached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 17 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #13317

Michael

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Took my Six for a ride over too Sergio's to pick up the welting for the engine lid. I have known Sergio since about 1984-ish when we met at our former mechanic's shop in San Ramon- Honest Bill's.

Sergio let me tour his collection of all things Porsche- WOW. I really enjoyed that.

Thanks again Sergio for the kit for my engine lid. You guys probably all know but Sergio is the guy that makes the great quality GT engine lids. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Aug 17 2020, 03:28 PM
Post #13318

Member No.: 20,484

Shift linkage bushings and lubed everything up - like new now.Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 17 2020, 07:58 PM
Post #13319

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

The engine harness finally arrived today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) That was holding me up as far as installing the engine and completing the cradle. It would have been a PITA to do so with the engine in the vehicle. As soon as the temps drop below 100 I'll get motivated again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 18 2020, 07:14 AM
Post #13320

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

first time getting into the 914 in weeks, or tried anyway, wanted to take the car for a test run which i had not done since installing the new angle drive a few weeks ago and new speedo cable, BUT as i backed out, noticed a puddle in the garage, NO!!! dang , under the front so this one is not oil, it was brake fluid! cleaned it up, put the car back in on ramps and will investigate tonight. I had a blown seal on previous MC and replaced it with a new 19mm one from 914rubber back in February right before Amelia island, and not one drip since then, so not sure if its just a leaking supply line or return line, but it seems very unlikely it would be the MC itself again. last time it leaked into the pedal area! .

just when you think you are all set, its something else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 664 665 666 667 668 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:34 PM