Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 736 737 738 739 740 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
930cabman
post Aug 29 2021, 10:14 AM
Post #14741

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Aug 28 2021, 04:07 PM) *

Engine started running poorly couple days ago......some popping in left carb at idle... loss of power...think I found it - loose intake manifold on left. That sure would explain it.

My bad.....should have snugged it up a week or so after running engine in in May.......right one was tight.

When you get my age, you forget things........

GN

"you forget things" It's a miracle any of us can walk and talk.

Back to the topic: Changed the alternator belt and changed the leaking oil pressure sender. Hoping a bad oil leak in the area of the oil filter will be cured. It appears the upper portion (plastic) had become dislodged from the lower portion and was leaking. The area surrounding the pressure switch was washed clean from leaking oil.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 29 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #14742

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Back 3 years ago before I had a stroke and surgery I swore that I would not tear another 914 apart. So at 73 I am doing one "final" parts car. I sure can't get up and down like I used to but I am working smarter. Got all the tools on location and try to prepare for all options. With that said, I made great progress the last couple of days. 1st up was all the brake pads pulled. Spent time taking the paint off the rear axle bolts with wire wheel. Original axles that had never been off. Made sure you could see yourself from the reflection. Sprayed with PB Blaster. Moved on to removing muffler. Looked to be a great 2.0 L, wrong it had big holes . Went back and used 450 lb impact wrench and took of axle nuts.
As usual one was easy other was a pain. Went back today, got heat exchangers off, axles out and swapped out rear shock bolts so I could keep rear sway bar bolts. One day closer to getting the engine/transmission out. Rest of the stuff is a piece of cake when that is done.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 29 2021, 03:07 PM
Post #14743

Advanced Member

Slow and steady wins the race
+Quote Post
rbzymek
post Aug 29 2021, 07:56 PM
Post #14744

Member No.: 23,013
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Quinn Moore @ Aug 28 2021, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 17 2011, 09:07 PM) *

i just wanted to start a thread to see what you guys do day to day on your cars.

i'll start,

about a month ago, i pulled my engine and trans to put in a new clutch. had the flywheel lightened and resurfaced. but what i didnt know is that i had to shim the little ball that the clutch arm rides on, after a resurfacing. so guess what i did today?

yup, pulled the trans and put an extra washer under the ball. you have to goop up both washers to get it to seal because the threaded hole goes all the way thru to the inside of the trans. i also replaced the plastic cup that the ball rides in. the throwout bearing and its little plastic blocks were fine so i buttoned every thing back up. 5 hours total. i think this has been the cheapest repair yet on my car. $2.75 for the little plastic cup.

what did you do to your 914 today?

Took a bath? Getting some air.....

If you open the frunk with the wipers popped up it does a number on the paint. Ask me how I know.......

+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Aug 29 2021, 07:58 PM
Post #14745

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865
Region Association: Southern California

New shock inserts in my 71. Finished painting panels on Saturday. Ready for a paint booth!
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 30 2021, 05:10 AM
Post #14746

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

oil change
second car on the new hoist.
found nothing unpleasant in the screen after running it for about a year, after a very long 16 year hibernation. no rod knock - fingers crossed. some more high zinc goodness went in.

Attached Image

then had to begin disassembly of ford falcon ute hell hole project.
don't ask.
had to put this back together in great haste, get a roadworthy and get historic plates for it, dickhead dan our state premier has with short notice shifted requirements for historic plates to 30 years, from 25 years. its a revenue grasp for the state coffers in the covid aftermath? are we even in the aftermath yet? the gouge has begun.
we mocked it up, got the rw and got it registered, now i have to strip it again to finish the paintwork.

Attached Image

i got to drive the 914 home on the last day of winter, first day of spring, in middle of covid lockdown with essential worker permit on a cloudless night, with the heater on and the top off. perfect. twilight drive. not too much traffic.
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Aug 30 2021, 09:44 AM
Post #14747

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Further working on my 914 badge dropped the engine for the first time
Next Pull the heads

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 30 2021, 09:48 AM
Post #14748

Advanced Member

QUOTE(GBX0073 @ Aug 30 2021, 09:44 AM) *

Further working on my 914 badge dropped the engine for the first time
Next Pull the heads

Is she not running well?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 30 2021, 05:06 PM
Post #14749

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

I tried to trade in my 914 today but Bill wouldn't trade for some reason. Oh well, I might have him on the corners... might.... Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 30 2021, 05:17 PM
Post #14750

Advanced Member

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 30 2021, 05:06 PM) *

I tried to trade in my 914 today but Bill wouldn't trade for some reason. Oh well, I might have him on the corners... might.... Attached Image

I'm gonna bet you have him in the corners. Have you forgotten #40 from the 1970 Lemans?
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Aug 31 2021, 01:53 AM
Post #14751

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

Attached Image

New numbers for hillclimb next weekend.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Aug 31 2021, 08:35 PM
Post #14752

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

Got new Porterfield Racing brake pads for my front 320i calipers from Eric at PMB Performance - and WOW!

You woulda thunk I put in power brakes!

Another THANK YOU to Eric

GN

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/hosting.photobucket.com-21449-1630463712.1.JPG)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 3 2021, 01:45 PM
Post #14753

Member No.: 24,781

Attached Image

Texture or no texture. With texture is easier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 3 2021, 01:51 PM
Post #14754

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I went to Cars 'n Coffee w/o my car as they are paving the streets in my neighborhood and I am not going to get that junk all over my car. So it needs to sit until I think the 10 or 11th. Bummer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 4 2021, 08:04 AM
Post #14755

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

getting close to having my motor ready to go back in the car, hoping by monday- lots of pics on instagram @drphils914

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 4 2021, 12:31 PM
Post #14756

Member No.: 24,380

I've spent 2 lovely (hot) days with John at Black Forest diagnosing engine issues. It was running really rich and it appears that after we went through several parts and adjustments, replacing the brain resolved it. Returning next week to diagnose and fix and oil leak (prolly push rod tube) and do a valve adjustment. I've done them before but not with having to remove heat exchanger stuff so I want to see John do it first. Also will diagnose the back up lights not working. I did replace my tach to solve a ground issue with it, after fiddling with sockets and bulbs for an hour now I have a high beam indicator and one turn signal light - thats a bit of a mystery, as it's a 74 but just has one light when I thought they still had left and right indicators. Still need to troubleshoot the horns, I can hear a quick beep when i hit the button so I suspect the ground wires are not right on the horns or something like that. Looking forward to getting out to TN in a few weeks!
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 4 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #14757

BEAUTIFUL PHIL !!!

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 4 2021, 08:04 AM) *

getting close to having my motor ready to go back in the car, hoping by monday- lots of pics on instagram @drphils914

+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 4 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #14758

Met Rick B. at C&C this morning to park our 914s next to each other - as usual, only ones there, they get lots of attention.

Our C&C has been super this summer with maybe 300 cars of everything conceivable - a truly great and eclectic gathering - always lots of really interesting car folks.

Met a couple Porsche guys that live near me, one who is looking to get a great yellow 914 in Michigan who now drives a nice Meteor Grey 9971. 6-speed.

When I got home I pulled the gas tank to put in a new one. I spent $265 3 1/2 years ago to have original tank acid bathed, re-lined with lifetime guarantee by top local shop. Just before I put tank in I noticed new lining was peeling off - but wanted to get the car running so bad I proceeded anyway. Bad move.

For 3 years crud from the tank lining has been fouling my idle jets every other tank of gas - not solids, a gummy goo type stuff. Done with that.

GN
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 4 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #14759

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Sep 4 2021, 09:08 PM) *

Met Rick B. at C&C this morning to park our 914s next to each other - as usual, only ones there, they get lots of attention.

Our C&C has been super this summer with maybe 300 cars of everything conceivable - a truly great and eclectic gathering - always lots of really interesting car folks.

Met a couple Porsche guys that live near me, one who is looking to get a great yellow 914 in Michigan who now drives a nice Meteor Grey 9971. 6-speed.

When I got home I pulled the gas tank to put in a new one. I spent $265 3 1/2 years ago to have original tank acid bathed, re-lined with lifetime guarantee by top local shop. Just before I put tank in I noticed new lining was peeling off - but wanted to get the car running so bad I proceeded anyway. Bad move.

For 3 years crud from the tank lining has been fouling my idle jets every other tank of gas - not solids, a gummy goo type stuff. Done with that.

GN

they make new OEM tanks, get a new one from AA.
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Sep 4 2021, 08:23 PM
Post #14760

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

Painted it Silver!! Factory color.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 736 737 738 739 740 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:47 AM