Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

840 Pages V « < 738 739 740 741 742 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Chaznaster
post Sep 13 2021, 07:41 PM
Post #14781

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Changed out the transmission fill plug - the allen head on it was pretty badly stripped - with a new one. It’s not much but any day working on this car is a good day.
One surprise was the 15-18 torque spec. The old one wes definitely in tighter than that! The new does not sit flush to the case. Will watch for leaks …
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Sep 14 2021, 01:46 AM
Post #14782

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Attached Image

Not really what I did to my 914 yesterday but what it took to get to this picture on Saturday at sunset at Laguna Seca raceway.

I've been working to get her running and ready to go on our annual trek to Laguna Seca for the sportscar races. We have a group and we get the same 4 campsites overlooking the Corkscrew each year.

So I thought I had all the major running/driving issues taken care of so, Sept 1 I zipped off to AAA and picked up my current tags and found my license plate and invited my wife for a drive. I had driven it a few times illegally around the block before the windshield went in. Of course it can't be that easy, as we prepared to back out of the driveway, suddenly I could not get it into reverse or first, yes the shift coupling bushing had disintegrated. Following the holiday weekend after grandkids/kids left, I 'MacGyvered' a pair of spacers/bushings for the shift coupling that I could slip in from the outside with the coupling installed, that took most of the slop out. I have new bushing ordered.
So now with a sloppy but functional shifter I again invited my wife for a ride, this time went better until the car died and did not want to restart. It was a frustrating few minutes but I managed to get us home.

Attached Image
I charged the battery and installed a starter button on the dash and took the 914 for some new tires and then errands prepping for the trip to Laguna Seca.

Attached Image
Added the tow bar bracket and off we went.

Over the weekend my wife and I tooled around the track in the 914 a couple times and took a drive through Monterey and Seaside.
Overall a great maiden voyage.

Attached Image

Jim
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 14 2021, 07:01 AM
Post #14783

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I spent the evening last night tracking down a short. Whenever I would put the screws in my instrument cluster, the gauge fuse would blow. I have the 5 gauge dash in my big six. I have a volt meter in with the gas guage, and I found that the power lead for the volt meter was hitting the dash frame behind the gauge. The power lead is insulated so that wasn't the short. The connection on the back of the volt meter was broken loose, and when the wire would hit the dash frame, it would push the connector up and cause it to short on the gauge housing.

I rewired the gauge so the G connector on the back of it is now the power lead. It is up high and won't interfere with the dash frame.

And I started to hook the radio back up. The used Hirschmann power antenna I have doesn't have the leads to make it go up. That will have to wait, as I need to get the car up and running this week for Okteenerfest.

Clay
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Sep 14 2021, 08:14 AM
Post #14784

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

That is one sweet and beautiful 914 - thanks for the pics!

GN

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Sep 14 2021, 01:46 AM) *

Attached Image

Not really what I did to my 914 yesterday but what it took to get to this picture on Saturday at sunset at Laguna Seca raceway.

I've been working to get her running and ready to go on our annual trek to Laguna Seca for the sportscar races. We have a group and we get the same 4 campsites overlooking the Corkscrew each year.

So I thought I had all the major running/driving issues taken care of so, Sept 1 I zipped off to AAA and picked up my current tags and found my license plate and invited my wife for a drive. I had driven it a few times illegally around the block before the windshield went in. Of course it can't be that easy, as we prepared to back out of the driveway, suddenly I could not get it into reverse or first, yes the shift coupling bushing had disintegrated. Following the holiday weekend after grandkids/kids left, I 'MacGyvered' a pair of spacers/bushings for the shift coupling that I could slip in from the outside with the coupling installed, that took most of the slop out. I have new bushing ordered.
So now with a sloppy but functional shifter I again invited my wife for a ride, this time went better until the car died and did not want to restart. It was a frustrating few minutes but I managed to get us home.

I charged the battery and installed a starter button on the dash and took the 914 for some new tires and then errands prepping for the trip to Laguna Seca.

Added the tow bar bracket and off we went.

Over the weekend my wife and I tooled around the track in the 914 a couple times and took a drive through Monterey and Seaside.
Overall a great maiden voyage.

Jim

+Quote Post
Arno914
post Sep 14 2021, 09:01 AM
Post #14785

Member No.: 24,260
Region Association: Germany

Watered the 914, maybe she grows becoming a -6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Had my taillights sealed to the body with 5mm epdm foam strips and no more water entering the trunk.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/up.picr.de-24260-1631631668.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Sep 15 2021, 07:35 PM
Post #14786

Fiddled with the choke on my Weber 32/36 after finally running power to it. It was adjusted open when I got the car. The choke does not seem to respond when I give it 12v. Also learning how to tune these - will sleep on it and try again tomorrow.
+Quote Post
mikey63
post Sep 16 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #14787

Member No.: 11,529

Drove it!!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bludden
post Sep 16 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #14788

Member No.: 24,380

My original tach was not allowing the lights inside to work. Took it apart and found a cold solder joint broken where the ground attaches to the casing right where it was easy to get a soldering iron in there and redo it. I hate removing the front casing but it all went back together. Oh also the clear covers for the illumination bulbs got reglued as they were rattling around in there. If it's not raining tomorrow I will replace it as the temp tach I got pretty cheap has a rusted ring. Also have a replacement part for the broken seat adjustment handle to get in.
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Sep 16 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #14789

Got the choke working. Voltage to it was ~5. Cleaned the contacts for the relay board fuse and put in a new one. Got 12.7V. Problem solved!
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Sep 18 2021, 05:25 PM
Post #14790

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

Dropped the new gas tank into the 74 and she fired right up. Stainless steel lines went in a week or so ago.
No leaks, no fuss and most importantly, no fires.
I got a new carpet kit for the car as well so, I won't put the interior all the way back together tomorrow.
But still. Kind of cool.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 18 2021, 05:49 PM
Post #14791

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Sep 18 2021, 04:25 PM) *

Dropped the new gas tank into the 74 and she fired right up. Stainless steel lines went in a week or so ago.
No leaks, no fuss and most importantly, no fires.
I got a new carpet kit for the car as well so, I won't put the interior all the way back together tomorrow.
But still. Kind of cool.

nice! that is a happy 914 weekend!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 18 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #14792

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

I started it and did the 20 minute break in run.
first time running since May when the dropped valve seat.
3.5 months! motor sounds great-
i posted a video on instagram- #drphils914

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 18 2021, 06:11 PM
Post #14793

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

QUOTE(mikey63 @ Sep 16 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Drove it!!

@mikey63 - Looking awesome!
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 18 2021, 06:16 PM
Post #14794

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463

Engine back IN!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Sep 18 2021, 07:10 PM
Post #14795

I am trying to address the popping noise I get when decelerating in gear. Changed the fuel filter. Changed idle jets on the 32/36 - 50 on venturi 1 and 60 on venturi 2. Checked valves (all were nominal). Adjusted carb with new jets to lean fast idle. Double checked timing (also nominal). There was definitely an improvement.
The took a drive and fiddled with teh 123 dizzy. Made some improvements by stretching the advance across more of the RPM spectrum. It was significantly better.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 19 2021, 07:00 AM
Post #14796

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Sep 13 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Changed out the transmission fill plug - the allen head on it was pretty badly stripped - with a new one. It’s not much but any day working on this car is a good day.
One surprise was the 15-18 torque spec. The old one wes definitely in tighter than that! The new does not sit flush to the case. Will watch for leaks …

Yes, they get rounded out from guys overtightening. A bit of teflon pipe dope and you are in business. As I recall they should sit proud of the case.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Sep 19 2021, 07:47 PM
Post #14797

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 19 2021, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Sep 13 2021, 07:41 PM) *

Yes, they get rounded out from guys overtightening. A bit of teflon pipe dope and you are in business. As I recall they should sit proud of the case.

Thanks! I drove about 25 miles yesterday and no leaks!!
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 19 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #14798

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Today my 75 car had a chance to meet up with its new owner. Monday it will get loaded on UHaul and make its way up to new home in Northern CA. Nice that this CA car stays in California. Note that the 914 looks to sit around 2 inches to 3 inches lower than my MB SL500

Bob B Burton
Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
PaulFV8
post Sep 19 2021, 09:18 PM
Post #14799

Member No.: 24,562
Region Association: None

I spent yesterday taking the paint and bondo off the rest of the fenders and found another fine mess the POs left for me. I have a couple of local sources looking for a replacement corner. Attached Image
+Quote Post
914e
post Sep 19 2021, 09:26 PM
Post #14800

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Sep 19 2021, 08:18 PM) *

I spent yesterday taking the paint and bondo off the rest of the fenders and found another fine mess the POs left for me. I have a couple of local sources looking for a replacement corner. Attached Image

How does that even happen? Was it a rust repair, accident repair, or both.
+Quote Post

840 Pages V « < 738 739 740 741 742 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:41 AM