Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 809 810 811 812 813 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
r_towle
post Jun 19 2023, 09:01 PM
Post #16201

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 15 2023, 10:15 AM) *

The RAT Engen came back from PMB for me and Mark Sonners to take down to find out why it has a tick in it. Sounded like an exhaust leak but it had low oil pressure so we will find out. This was a Jake build not just RAT parts.

Best Bob B Burton

Is this your engine, or are you the engine builder?

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 19 2023, 09:06 PM
Post #16202

Custom Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 15 2023, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 15 2023, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2023, 03:36 PM) *

Today we took Elwood (the Factory Six) to Park Place Porsche in Dallas for the Porsche 75th anniversary celebration.

Betty and Elwood, both lookin' good! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Looks great.. runs like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif).

Cylinder #5 is not firing. Changed the plug, and wire, no joy. Took the gas torch and fed acetylene into the #5 venturi on the car. The miss went away.

I think I have a blocked passage in the left carb. I have to pull the top after work today and see if I can clear it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Did I ever say how much I dislike carbs.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

After you fix it again, which I am sure you will (clean)
Might I suggest you install a fuel shut off in prior to the carbs.
then when parked, shut off the fuel and let the carbs suck all the fuel out till the car dies.

Works really great on a 356, keeps the carbs from gumming up.
Starting does require a bit more cranking...but yah...

Matt, working with Mark at Exotech in Plaistow nh, just installed an easily reversible ITB solution with a dedicated brain onto his 914/6 race car.
when air cleaners are on....its hard to tell.
Starts and runs perfectly now, versus carbs...which don't always do that.
If you want to see it, I will find the thread he posted, I think its on the PP forum, possibly in the 911 engine forum...one of the threads on ITB.
I will follow suit, just wanted to see how easy and simple it was to tune.
they did tune it at a track, but now they know how to tune it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
found it
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...sion-kit-2.html
Matt Romanowski is the poster.

Rich
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Jun 20 2023, 11:56 AM
Post #16203

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

Drove the hell out of the 74 on Friday. Took it down to Cruising Grand, in Escondido CA for a bit as well.
Purchased new rear springs and bilstein shocks for the 75. Will be putting those in over the next couple of weeks.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 20 2023, 12:40 PM
Post #16204

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Still 914-less, I did however show the wife some on Craigslist over the weekend, there is a green '72 1.7 in Reno that I am interested it, no idea of the true condition of it since only a few outside pics.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 20 2023, 12:42 PM
Post #16205

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 20 2023, 12:40 PM) *

Still 914-less, I did however show the wife some on Craigslist over the weekend, there is a green '72 1.7 in Reno that I am interested it, no idea of the true condition of it since only a few outside pics.

Take your time and find the right one, it's looking for you
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Jun 21 2023, 12:49 AM
Post #16206

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

Replaced both front engine mounts... Three seasons of 5000rpm launches had taken their toll! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MM1
post Jun 22 2023, 12:56 AM
Post #16207

914 obsession continues

Member No.: 22,105

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2023, 06:36 PM) *

Today we took Elwood (the Factory Six) to Park Place Porsche in Dallas for the Porsche 75th anniversary celebration.

Hi Clay,

Stunning 914! What's this color? I love it . . . is it metallic?

-M
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 22 2023, 09:00 AM
Post #16208

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(MM1 @ Jun 22 2023, 01:56 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2023, 06:36 PM) *

Hi Clay,

Stunning 914! What's this color? I love it . . . is it metallic?

-M

It is a 2006 Boxster blue. Rusty painted it that color before I bought it from him. We love the color, but it is not the original color, so when we have the rust repairs done, we are going to take it back to the factory color. The original metallic blue is a bit lighter.

+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 22 2023, 11:57 AM
Post #16209

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 19 2023, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 15 2023, 10:15 AM) *

The RAT Engen came back from PMB for me and Mark Sonners to take down to find out why it has a tick in it. Sounded like an exhaust leak but it had low oil pressure so we will find out. This was a Jake build not just RAT parts.

Best Bob B Burton

Is this your engine, or are you the engine builder?

Rich

This Eng was in Oscars blue 914 with the big Frog lights on it and flairs on it. Going into the 74 blue 2.0 that I had inside my shop for 12 years.

Mark Sonners and I are doing the work on this used RAT built eng. Trying to find out why there was oil starvation and the ticking sound. Who knows what the hell the ticking sounds is from. We are taking it down very slowly looking for witness marks. Some stuff doesn't look exactly right there's no wire to the thermostat flaps. We will post pictures and ask questions as we have a RAT Jake DVD

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 23 2023, 07:23 AM
Post #16210

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

After driving her for about 9K miles I decided to open up the front GT oil cooler opening more like a standard GT opening to allow more air flow. Previously I just had the GT valance opening and the bumper was stock; it blocked about 1/3 of the top of the round body openings I use for air to enter the cooler. In traffic and at slow speeds the temperature would creep to about 200 degrees.

So I bit the bullet and sourced another bumper from @DRPHIL914 and had it shipped to Ben McFarland @MB911 along with a template for the opening I wanted on the bumper. Ben did a terrific job and at my request shipped it to Ogden Chrome for the chrome work after I called and spoke with them and they gave me a "as much as $1,500" quote for their chrome work. OUCH! But I wanted it to be nice so I said OK.

Ogden received the bumper and emailed me the work would be $2,700!!!! OK, I love my car, but $2,700 for a front bumper that is in pretty good condition to start with is just other world crazy. I had them ship it to me.

The bumper is now en-route to another chrome shop that saw a bunch of pictures I sent and gave a much more reasonable quote and promised a triple-chrome show finish. We shall see how it comes out.

For now, here is a picture of that modified bumper mounted to my car to check fitment before it went to chrome:
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 23 2023, 07:30 AM
Post #16211

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like Odgen Chrome has being doing too much work for Bitchin Rides
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 23 2023, 07:39 AM
Post #16212

Custom Member

Not sure but I bet the cost of chrome in highly regulated states will go up until they just stop doing it.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 23 2023, 08:04 AM
Post #16213

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Got with it and did some relay boards. Lots of nit picking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 23 2023, 08:21 AM
Post #16214

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 23 2023, 06:23 AM) *

After driving her for about 9K miles I decided to open up the front GT oil cooler opening more like a standard GT opening to allow more air flow. Previously I just had the GT valance opening and the bumper was stock; it blocked about 1/3 of the top of the round body openings I use for air to enter the cooler. In traffic and at slow speeds the temperature would creep to about 200 degrees.

So I bit the bullet and sourced another bumper from @DRPHIL914 and had it shipped to Ben McFarland @MB911 along with a template for the opening I wanted on the bumper. Ben did a terrific job and at my request shipped it to Ogden Chrome for the chrome work after I called and spoke with them and they gave me a "as much as $1,500" quote for their chrome work. OUCH! But I wanted it to be nice so I said OK.

Ogden received the bumper and emailed me the work would be $2,700!!!! OK, I love my car, but $2,700 for a front bumper that is in pretty good condition to start with is just other world crazy. I had them ship it to me.

The bumper is now en-route to another chrome shop that saw a bunch of pictures I sent and gave a much more reasonable quote and promised a triple-chrome show finish. We shall see how it comes out.

For now, here is a picture of that modified bumper mounted to my car to check fitment before it went to chrome:
Attached Image

Attached Image

He did a real nice job. I did one of these and it was not easy to get it right.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 23 2023, 09:18 AM
Post #16215

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

@Shivers I agree; Ben is one heck of a fabricator. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 23 2023, 09:48 AM
Post #16216

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 23 2023, 09:23 AM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

@Cairo94507
wow that looks great! good work from Ben on that, and it will clean up nicely. that alignment and gapping above and below look really good, glad it stayed true and straight thru all the shipping etc.
I had a similar one to this that needed about the same amount of work and it cost me $750 for the triple chrome that was 4 -5 years ago, so i guess $1000-$1500 wouldn't be bad, mine was done by Tri-City Plating in Elizabethton TN . Who ever Oscar was using back when he was doing a bunch of bumpers was doing some nice work too, not sure who that was but maybe check with him and see if they are still doing this work.

Phil
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 23 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #16217

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow 2700 is crazy. Glad you found someone else. I have now done over 100 of these GT bumpers so I have it figured out. That said Michaels was 100% custom to his pattern.

Just shipped another bumper out this morning to another client.
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Jun 23 2023, 05:39 PM
Post #16218

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Played around with wheels, steel (way I bought it) to Fuchs 2.0 to 5 Lug Fuchs, just fun to experiment I guess.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 23 2023, 07:30 PM
Post #16219

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

trying my hand at polishing my rims.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 23 2023, 07:31 PM
Post #16220

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 809 810 811 812 813 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:10 AM