Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

843 Pages V « < 204 205 206 207 208 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Mike Bellis
post May 3 2014, 09:31 PM
Post #4101

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Got the 6 speed back in. Axles and CV's greased up and ready for new bolts. Got to wait until Monday when the boltdepot.com order shows up.

My new CV's require a spacer and 10mm x 80mm bolts. The spacer is so the axle can slide in the CV and not bottom out in the flange cup.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RogerYellow914
post May 4 2014, 12:27 AM
Post #4102

Member No.: 5,230

Valve adjustment, new spark plugs and an oil change.
+Quote Post
potomacmidget
post May 4 2014, 07:11 AM
Post #4103

I gotta have more cowbell....

Member No.: 12,860
Region Association: North East States

Hey, I actually drove mine today to do a bagel run....had not had her out since October....ran like a dream... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
jamracing
post May 4 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #4104

Member No.: 17,043
Region Association: None

Went to the local junk yard. They had about 12 914's. I picked up a really nice rear bumper, outside door handle, parking brake assembly, door stop and a lot of odds and ends.......$50!!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i289.photobucket.com-17043-1399210325.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
NORD
post May 4 2014, 07:54 AM
Post #4105

Member No.: 2,756
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jamracing @ May 4 2014, 06:32 AM) *

Went to the local junk yard. They had about 12 914's. I picked up a really nice rear bumper, outside door handle, parking brake assembly, door stop and a lot of odds and ends.......$50!!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i289.photobucket.com-17043-1399210325.1.jpg)

If you could check all 12 vin# with our site and see if they are registered it would be great. Next time there take your camera. Thanks.

I drove my car yesterday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 4 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #4106

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) on getting the VIN #s

Man-o-man, I could spend a week in that bone yard. I never run across any Vanagons or buses in our local ones (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Drove the 'BB' to get coffee (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) and smokes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) this morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Porscharu914
post May 4 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #4107

Member No.: 14,439
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I replaced the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, spark plugs and wires on the EJ22 going into my car. Timing belt, cam seals, and front and rear main seals tomorrow.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post May 4 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #4108

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Replaced fuel filler neck gasket on top of gas tank. At least the inside of my tank looked pretty good. Looking to see if the new gasket helps with some fuel vapor smells I get every now and then. I've replaced all (and I mean all) of the vacuum/evap hoses in the car (and the plastic ones along the longs are not cracked.)
+Quote Post
pneuhyde
post May 5 2014, 01:01 AM
Post #4109

Member No.: 3,654
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I flipped her over and worked the top over pretty good
Attached Image
And then slowly worked my attention a little lower
Attached Image
and I think she is going to appreciate it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 5 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #4110

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 3 2014, 08:01 PM) *

I have been on the lookout for a YOM (year of model) license plate to run on my 914 but wanted the number/letter combo to be somewhat relevant to my 914. I have seen one with the sequence PA-1974 but the guy wanted close to $100 for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

So today at a VW show, I stopped by one of the vendors who had a crate full of tags. I asked if he had any Tennessee tags from 1974. "Let me look" was his reply and then he handed be this...

Yes, I bought it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

:driving"

AWESOME: I bought a "memphis" one, just incase I did not pass emissions and had to go the antique route. I like yours better.

I have an 85 tag on my 85 vw cabriolet. I get more comments about the tag than the car. People just don't remember the old days when TN used population to mark the counties.... Shelby County and Memphis were #1.... and yours is Chattanooga, Hamilton Co.

Very cool.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 5 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #4111

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 5 2014, 05:28 AM) *
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 3 2014, 08:01 PM) *
I have been on the lookout for a YOM (year of model) license plate to run on my 914 but wanted the number/letter combo to be somewhat relevant to my 914. I have seen one with the sequence PA-1974 but the guy wanted close to $100 for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

So today at a VW show, I stopped by one of the vendors who had a crate full of tags. I asked if he had any Tennessee tags from 1974. "Let me look" was his reply and then he handed be this...

Yes, I bought it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

:driving"
AWESOME: I bought a "memphis" one, just incase I did not pass emissions and had to go the antique route. I like yours better.

I have an 85 tag on my 85 vw cabriolet. I get more comments about the tag than the car. People just don't remember the old days when TN used population to mark the counties.... Shelby County and Memphis were #1.... and yours is Chattanooga, Hamilton Co.

Very cool.
But now you need to do a V8 conversion, since it starts out '4 D 8'

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
barefoot
post May 5 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #4112

Member No.: 15,673

[quote name='NORD' date='May 4 2014, 09:54 AM' post='2033120']
[quote name='jamracing' post='2033115' date='May 4 2014, 06:32 AM']
Could you supply the address or phone # or website for the yard, I could use an outside door handle, possibility ??
Barefoot

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post May 5 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #4113

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 5 2014, 02:19 PM) *
But now you need to do a V8 conversion, since it starts out '4 D 8'

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yeah, I suppose it would have been too much to ask for 7-D4914 or 7-T4914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 6 2014, 02:47 AM
Post #4114

I did nothing '914' today, except for taking delivery of a really nice set of lug bolts for stock steel wheels (thanks, Garold) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Alternatively, I worked on the 'bike made out of junk' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ... and found a new use for an old garage door spring (cut into 4 pieces) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 6 2014, 04:25 AM
Post #4115

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Lawn Art?
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 6 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #4116

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 6 2014, 02:25 AM) *
Lawn Art?
Sort of, Bob. I don't think anyone will be able to ride it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I used to dabble with metal sculptures before I got married - much smaller items though:

Motorcycles, Model 'A's, dune buggies, bi-planes and sailing vessels, meant for desk top/coffee table display, and constructed mostly from small old school electronic components.

This bike will be displayed at our annual 'Burning Ham' event (Ham radio guys and girls camping/dirt biking event), held at Cuddeback Dry lake in the Mojave Desert. Last year, the bike I made out of wood got, um, burned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time to 'play'. Maybe I'll do a 914 some day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post May 6 2014, 07:41 PM
Post #4117

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 2 2014, 12:12 AM) *

Finally finished the cowling for the new and incorrectly sized radiator from Renegade (wasn't an exact replacement for the old one that sprung a leak), thus finalizing the winters work (Dr. Evil sorted 901, new 7 qt oil pan, complete shifter bush rebuild, CV rebuild, Carb rebuild) just to discover on the first test drive the rear main on the SB is leaking like a sieve.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Finally found out what the problem was. Not a rear main thank goodness. My new seven quart oil pan was leaking out of a few pan bolts. I took em out and used yellow teflon, stuffed em back in and no more leaking! Saweet!
Pity I discovered a coolant leak at the engine inlet. Very difficult to access on a Renegade conversion. I'll have to remove the belts, the auxilliary water pump and all the associated hoses just to get to the offending inlet. Poop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Jeez, did my PO ever do any maintainence? I've had the car almost a year and have yet to put a hundred miles on it due to "one thing after another" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 6 2014, 08:22 PM
Post #4118

Has anybody made a large removable section of the firewall to access forward components (like the water pump, alternator, etc.) - larger than the 'belt-change' size they guys do for '6' installs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... or how about 2 or 3 keenly positioned removable sections, not large enough to fook with the structural integrity (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 6 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #4119

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 6 2014, 09:41 PM) *

Finally finished the cowling for the new and incorrectly sized radiator from Renegade (wasn't an exact replacement for the old one that sprung a leak), thus finalizing the winters work (Dr. Evil sorted 901, new 7 qt oil pan, complete shifter bush rebuild, CV rebuild, Carb rebuild) just to discover on the first test drive the rear main on the SB is leaking like a sieve.

Finally found out what the problem was. Not a rear main thank goodness. My new seven quart oil pan was leaking out of a few pan bolts. I took em out and used yellow teflon, stuffed em back in and no more leaking! Saweet!
Pity I discovered a coolant leak at the engine inlet. Very difficult to access on a Renegade conversion. I'll have to remove the belts, the auxilliary water pump and all the associated hoses just to get to the offending inlet. Poop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Jeez, did my PO ever do any maintainence? I've had the car almost a year and have yet to put a hundred miles on it due to "one thing after another" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

David- My Renegade notes say to let the motor idle until the thermostat opens as the water pump has no bypass like the chevy pump. So if you rev it too high the water pump will make allot of pressure that could spring a leak at the weakest point.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post May 6 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #4120

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 6 2014, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ May 6 2014, 09:41 PM) *

David- My Renegade notes say to let the motor idle until the thermostat opens as the water pump has no bypass like the chevy pump. So if you rev it too high the water pump will make allot of pressure that could spring a leak at the weakest point.

Could've happened I s'pose....but doubtful it'll "self-seal", lol
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hanged.gif)
+Quote Post

843 Pages V « < 204 205 206 207 208 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:13 PM