Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 221 222 223 224 225 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
wobbletop
post Jul 24 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #4441

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,335
Region Association: Canada

Bought a CIS setup for my 3.0L. Now to figure out the best way to clean all the years of grime from it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 24 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #4442

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Went to Paintless Dent Removal today; seems like the Porsche Parade cost me extra $$.
There' same great Paintless dent removal shop on Warner near Graham in Huntington Beach.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Jul 24 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #4443

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

Got a door to replace the piece of Bondo with hinges. Now need to find time to finish the car. Thanks Bruce.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 24 2014, 11:21 PM
Post #4444

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 23 2014, 09:24 PM) *
... oh, and he also set the valves- they were on the tight side, but timing is not perfectly set at this time, because my TDC mark is gone!- so I have a question, what is the best way to mark it? - ...
Phil, to find TDC:

1. Remove your dizzy cap and take note of where cyl #1 spark plug wire is
2. Remove cyl #1 spark plug
3. Jack car up so one rear wheel is off the ground (or if both, chock one of them)
4. Place the shifter in 5th gear
5. Have an assistant rotate the un-chocked wheel until you see the dizzy rotor is pointing at cyl #1 firing position
6. Insert a chop-stick into the spark plug hole ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
6. Insert a long plastic straw into the spark plug hole so it contacts the top of the piston
7. Have your assistant rotate the wheel forward and backward several inches while you are watching the straw move in and out of the hole. When the straw is at the highest point, you're at TDC for that cyl.
8. Verify again that the rotor is still pointing at cyl #1 firing position
9. Locate the notch in the inspection hold on your fan housing and paint a '0' on the fan
10. Measure the distance forward of TDC to mark your ignition timing mark (this depends on the specific engine that you have)

There is a good tech article on Pelican, including a gauge you can copy, cut and place on your fan to mark your particular ignition advance setting, again with a dab of paint. You may wish to paint TDC one color and your X° BDC mark with another color.

one other question-how do you tighten up the steering column? it has a bit of up and down play to it?
There is a steering shaft bushing that you can replace (I need to do this too). There was a recent thread on how to do it. I don't remember exactly where, but it may have been in this thread ...
+Quote Post
jrrhdmust
post Jul 25 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #4445

Member No.: 13,668
Region Association: None

Bolted up pedals, brake master, brake lines, and right front caliper.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jul 25 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #4446

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey, I did something on my 914 last weekend! Shocking I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It's OK though, I didn't break anything. I just put spacers on the front. Oh, and cleaned/replaced spark plugs. One of the old ones broke - I got most of it, but figured the rest would just come out the tailpipe. Eventually.

Oh relax, I'm kidding!
+Quote Post
CrashDown
post Jul 25 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #4447

Fake Carbon Fiber MASTA!

Member No.: 10,453

Drove it like I stole it. If ou're on 880 south in Oakland CA at 5pm say hi. I'll be on my way home.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 26 2014, 01:33 AM
Post #4448

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jul 25 2014, 03:37 PM) *
Hey, I did something on my 914 last weekend! Shocking I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It's OK though, I didn't break anything. I just put spacers on the front. Oh, and cleaned/replaced spark plugs. One of the old ones broke - I got most of it, but figured the rest would just come out the tailpipe. Eventually.

Oh relax, I'm kidding!
Now you need to install that nice gold VW emblem on the rear deck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 26 2014, 06:42 AM
Post #4449

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the info. I think I can do that. Nit I will have to wait, I didn't get to bring the car home because the shop did not receive the gear things for adjusting the rear calipers, so the car is up in the air waiting on the package fro pmb so they can set the rear inside venting. But brakes are bled, my new a-arms are in , all new ball joints and turbo tie rods too!! So once she is down they will get the alignment done on the rear . I think I will be putting on some 5 or 7mm spacers on the front (running the 14" fuchs-5 lug) with 195's. I should have put on 205's and probably will get a second set for track d.e. days - looking for some 15's or 16's to put some toyls or such on just for that. Anyway if they have time we will also put in new shift bushings in the tunnel I didn't do that, I did the rears and the firewall one but it needs it. Hopefully by next weekend its ready to go!

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2014, 01:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jul 23 2014, 09:24 PM) *
... oh, and he also set the valves- they were on the tight side, but timing is not perfectly set at this time, because my TDC mark is gone!- so I have a question, what is the best way to mark it? - ...
Phil, to find TDC:

1. Remove your dizzy cap and take note of where cyl #1 spark plug wire is
2. Remove cyl #1 spark plug
3. Jack car up so one rear wheel is off the ground (or if both, chock one of them)
4. Place the shifter in 5th gear
5. Have an assistant rotate the un-chocked wheel until you see the dizzy rotor is pointing at cyl #1 firing position
6. Insert a chop-stick into the spark plug hole ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
6. Insert a long plastic straw into the spark plug hole so it contacts the top of the piston
7. Have your assistant rotate the wheel forward and backward several inches while you are watching the straw move in and out of the hole. When the straw is at the highest point, you're at TDC for that cyl.
8. Verify again that the rotor is still pointing at cyl #1 firing position
9. Locate the notch in the inspection hold on your fan housing and paint a '0' on the fan
10. Measure the distance forward of TDC to mark your ignition timing mark (this depends on the specific engine that you have)

There is a good tech article on Pelican, including a gauge you can copy, cut and place on your fan to mark your particular ignition advance setting, again with a dab of paint. You may wish to paint TDC one color and your X° BDC mark with another color.

one other question-how do you tighten up the steering column? it has a bit of up and down play to it?
There is a steering shaft bushing that you can replace (I need to do this too). There was a recent thread on how to do it. I don't remember exactly where, but it may have been in this thread ...

+Quote Post
falcor75
post Jul 26 2014, 11:54 AM
Post #4450

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Painted the front and rear hood hinges. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
draganc
post Jul 26 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #4451

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Removed the original floor soundproofing and painted the rust FREE floors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

And thanks to the poster pointing out to use a oscillating scrapper, took only an hour per side.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 26 2014, 08:04 PM
Post #4452

Member No.: 12,594

Nothing to the 914 today....too hot in the shop, 102 today, but I did do something for it...bought an air conditioner/heat unit for the shop. Installing it tomorrow morning, while it's cool.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 26 2014, 11:32 PM
Post #4453

HA - I know what you mean Jeff. It was only 90 something here, but hot enough for me. I rigged up a little 5K AC unit under the roll-up door and used plywood and cardboard to block off the sides. It actually did help a little bit, but it was still hotter than I'd like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) … I'll wait till summer ends and buy a bigger unit when they go on sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I replaced the antiquated security alarm panel at the shop and added a long-range wireless paging transmitter. When the pager activates, I can look at the CCTV monitor to see what's going on there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) … My friend Fred is going to bring me some additional motion detectors next week so we can cover more areas of the shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Went to start the 'BB', but the battery was dead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 27 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #4454

I was thinking the same thing Mark, but then I thought about Craigslist, found a 14k unit with heat under a year old, 20 min from my house, (if you been to my house you know there's not much within 20 min).....for $100 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) couldn't pass up that deal.
Now I'm set for summer and winter.....no more excuses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 27 2014, 02:46 PM
Post #4455

Gas-fired unit? $100., nice score (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jul 27 2014, 07:34 PM
Post #4456

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 27 2014, 01:46 PM) *

Gas-fired unit? $100., nice score (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

No it's a thru wall 220 electric unit, I've got a 75k propane shop heater, but now with this having heat too, who knows when I'll install it, might leave it installed in the garage. Got it installed and power run. I ran it for about an hour, definitely a big improvement, I think a couple of properly placed fans will help with circulation. Now maybe I can start getting things done, still need to finish the ring job on the tractor, then get the 2.7 tore down and in the machine shop.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 27 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #4457

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I got mine off jack stands and drove it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Jul 27 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #4458

Member No.: 14,487

I had a busy weekend, but in a good way!

Started the weekend with a great drive home...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i187.photobucket.com-14487-1406515206.1.jpg)

Turned the trunk in to a toy box in the morning...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i187.photobucket.com-14487-1406515206.2.jpg)

Then drove it to my favorite parking spot.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i187.photobucket.com-14487-1406515206.3.jpg)

Then Removed the radio and mounted an ipod direct to speakers amp under the dash, so I could make room for a Stopwatch dash mount in its place. Manage to find a same year (1970) Chronograph Heuer Track Stopwatch...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i187.photobucket.com-14487-1406515206.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 27 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #4459

Awesome sunset along the beach. Looks like your Trainer's seen better days?

Note to self: charge up my battery and give the old gal a bath (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jul 28 2014, 10:27 AM
Post #4460

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 26 2014, 01:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jul 25 2014, 03:37 PM) *

Oh relax, I'm kidding!
Now you need to install that nice gold VW emblem on the rear deck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Yeah, thanks Mark! That will go on this weekend - having the glass guy show up to replace the windshield on the FJ this Friday, so when he's done I'll have my garage back and plan to install the bling! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 221 222 223 224 225 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: lbubba42614

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 PM