Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 266 267 268 269 270 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Jan 30 2015, 03:35 PM
Post #5341

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 30 2015, 04:10 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 30 2015, 04:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 30 2015, 01:14 AM) *
Bought her a new stable mate. A Yamaha RZ 350.

cool ...

but... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

You'd probably rather see the pictures of the Honda Moto Compo that is in my garage. It belongs Brant and he has the RZ.

Well, sure ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 1 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #5342

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I took apart my door handles & mechanisms. The driver's door was getting very hard to open and I knew it had probably never been out of Speedy in 42 years. Well, they were really dirty and with some cleaner, a wire brush and, some light oil, the they work really well now. Really well. The key locks the door now (duh) and the action at the door handle is amazingly easy. This is a good weekend afternoon project to perform and wasn't hard to do at all.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Feb 1 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #5343

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I fixed up an old Ski Rack I have for the 914. The rubber straps were deteriorating so I made some new ones with some extra webbing I have. Not sure if I will ever use it but oh well.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 1 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #5344

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 1 2015, 03:35 PM) *
I took apart my door handles & mechanisms. The driver's door was getting very hard to open and I knew it had probably never been out of Speedy in 42 years. Well, they were really dirty and with some cleaner, a wire brush and, some light oil, the they work really well now. Really well. The key locks the door now (duh) and the action at the door handle is amazingly easy. This is a good weekend afternoon project to perform and wasn't hard to do at all.
I need to clean and lube everything inside both doors on both cars as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Can't open the passenger-side door from the inside on the 'BB', and can't open the passenger-side door from the outside on 'Howie' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

We just buttoned-up the new clutch install in the Tacoma last night, so I should be able to move on to completing a few tasks on the 'BB' now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Feb 1 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #5345

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 1 2015, 04:31 PM) *

I fixed up an old Ski Rack I have for the 914. The rubber straps were deteriorating so I made some new ones with some extra webbing I have. Not sure if I will ever use it but oh well.

Attached Image

Attached Image

40 hrs ago skis had skinny side cuts and were over 200cm long.

Now they be 175cm long and fat sidecuts. The fatties for pow pow can be twice the width.

Just sayin.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 1 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #5346

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 1 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Mine had a lot of old thick sticky grease that made them stik. Looked like white lithium grease.
I found that brake cleaner worked awesome to clear it all out!! Amazing! Now they work like new and I didn't have to use a brush or scrub or soak .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 1 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #5347

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I used brake cleaner too, the crap just poured out of them. It is amazing how light of a touch the stock handles/mechanisms have when cleaned and properly lubricated. Night and day.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 1 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #5348

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I measure the width of the car with flares. Sold my roller to a buddy who is picking it up in a 7x14 enclosed. Going to be tight but will fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
PaulK
post Feb 1 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #5349

Member No.: 17,903

Took a picture of my floor mats I made, binding and mats times two, total cost $25.00, looks vintage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Feb 1 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #5350

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Installed some old Cibie 40 fogs and took her for a mountain spin.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s1.postimg.org-11125-1422846499.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Michael N
post Feb 1 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #5351

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

My neighbor texted me last night to join in on Super Drive out of Pacifica. There were about 70 vintage cars and the drive was down Hwy 1 into Skyline then down to Boulder Creek for lunch via Hwy 9 and 236 thru Big Basin. I got to follow "at the speed limit" a Renault A110 alpine from Skyline to Boulder Creek. That is my new favorite car next to the 914. It was light, fast, and sounded great. I will attend this drive again. What a great bunch of hooligans.

This is my car and my neighbor's original 6.

Attached Image

Nice conversion 6 in Pacifica. Loved the outlaw wheels.

Attached Image

Nolan, my co pilot, always up for a drive.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Feb 1 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #5352

Member No.: 17,376

PaulK,

Those mats look great!

My project for the day: put new tires on.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
PaulK
post Feb 2 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #5353

Member No.: 17,903

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Feb 1 2015, 09:22 PM) *

PaulK,

Those mats look great!

My project for the day: put new tires on.

Thanks, let us know what you think of the Nanking's after you've been on them awhile, your car is looking good!
+Quote Post
jfort
post Feb 2 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #5354

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

a few winter projects being performed by Auto Assets in Powell OH. Replacing shocks, bearings and tie rod ends. PMB-restored rear calipers. The last of the oil hoses to AN. And the shifter couplings. A few pics:Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
reharvey
post Feb 3 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #5355

Member No.: 9,308
Region Association: North East States

Finally getting all the pieces together for the five bolt conversion on my black 73. 16

X6 polished Fuchs, rebuilt 914-6 front struts and five lug rear hubs. Haven't decided

what tire size to use. I have this same setup on my red 74 using 225-50-16 tires

but the fronts rub a little on the inside if the wheel is turn all the way.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 3 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #5356

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

This borders on embarrassment and I should just say I changed tires and be done with it, but no. On the return trip home after the last GnR I felt I had thrown a tire weight. More recently, Kugel began to ride like a Stage Coach and felt as if it were moving up n down! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I began to envision my engine cradle flexing and to imagine the best course to reinforce the cradle. After all, I had "tracked" the tires rotation and all seemed to be within 1/8" of being true and had been balanced "to be sure".
I found a post here that stated where the date code is located. Hmmm, it appears that mine were made 5th week of 1998. Shouldn't tires last longer than that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I switched tires/wheels between Whitey and Kugel and OMG what a fuching difference! I don't believe that these 165/80/15's will like the six very much but I'm enjoying the smooooooooth hi way cruise and the lower rpm's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) not to mention the handling and how nice Fuchs look on a black car!
In retrospect, I believe some of those "rides" that I gave at GnR were the nails in the old tires coffin. Now, I'm glad that I never got over 105mph. I knew they were old but not that old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
If your wondering where the date code is.........if made since 2000, the date code is last 4 digits of an 8 to 12 letter stamp following the DOT stamp. 079822120409 = 4th week of 2009. If made in the 90's the last "3 digits" are the date code and will have a small triangle stamped in the start of the series. 88347498 = 4th week of 1998. Or something like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
erussell
post Feb 3 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #5357

Member No.: 15,254
Region Association: Southwest Region

I sold mine. I am now depressed and drinking!
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Feb 3 2015, 05:39 PM
Post #5358

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Ouch!!!! Vw accident at 605 freeway Irwindale area this afternoon.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Feb 3 2015, 06:22 PM
Post #5359

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 3 2015, 10:28 AM) *

This borders on embarrassment and I should just say I changed tires and be done with it, but no. On the return trip home after the last GnR I felt I had thrown a tire weight. More recently, Kugel began to ride like a Stage Coach and felt as if it were moving up n down! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I began to envision my engine cradle flexing and to imagine the best course to reinforce the cradle. After all, I had "tracked" the tires rotation and all seemed to be within 1/8" of being true and had been balanced "to be sure".
I found a post here that stated where the date code is located. Hmmm, it appears that mine were made 5th week of 1998. Shouldn't tires last longer than that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I switched tires/wheels between Whitey and Kugel and OMG what a fuching difference! I don't believe that these 165/80/15's will like the six very much but I'm enjoying the smooooooooth hi way cruise and the lower rpm's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) not to mention the handling and how nice Fuchs look on a black car!
In retrospect, I believe some of those "rides" that I gave at GnR were the nails in the old tires coffin. Now, I'm glad that I never got over 105mph. I knew they were old but not that old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
If your wondering where the date code is.........if made since 2000, the date code is last 4 digits of an 8 to 12 letter stamp following the DOT stamp. 079822120409 = 4th week of 2009. If made in the 90's the last "3 digits" are the date code and will have a small triangle stamped in the start of the series. 88347498 = 4th week of 1998. Or something like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Those tires were long gone... Any tire over five years is suspect. Hagerty had a piece on what was damaging to stored cars.... Mice eating wires and old tires being dangerous in spite of their good looks are two major issues.

Adding how to check the age of a tire is very helpful. Your posting could save a life....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
abes914
post Feb 3 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #5360

Member No.: 12,880

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 3 2015, 02:30 AM) *

QUOTE(abes914 @ Jan 2 2015, 10:40 AM) *
finally replaced this (1975 - 1.8) ... to this (pre 75 - 2.0)
Happy new year to all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Hey Abe, it looks like you have a 1.7/1.8L muffler hanger there. You'll need one like the middle one in this pic (pic from Jeff Bowlsby's site)

Hey Euro. I guess I have a 1.7/1.8 set up. The ad from CL said 2.0. Oh well. They are still better than the 1.8 1975 set up.
Attached Image
Attached Image

While i was there, i also replaced by transmission's ground
Attached Image

Of course something came up once all is bolted up--my battery gave up. I decided to invest on optima battery.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I also deleted my side markers which was inspired by Ethan's car.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 266 267 268 269 270 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:39 PM