Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 302 303 304 305 306 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Jun 4 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #6061

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Placing a 914 on jack stands serves a few purposes:

1. it prevents flat spots on your tires
2. it relieves pressure on the springs, torsion bars and bushings
3. it allows any sagging in the longs to correct itself
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 4 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #6062

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Took out all the extra wiring for the headlight relays and installed the LED headlights in the '73. Now I have LIGHTS!! And those will come in handy in the dark Arizona nights...
Now I have to justify spending that money all over again to put those lights in my '71. Got old H4's in that and they could use some improvement.
The LED bulbs in the other lights (from spoke) were such an improvement, I figured the headlights must be good too, and there were a LOT of recommendations here for them.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jun 4 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #6063

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jun 4 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Took out all the extra wiring for the headlight relays and installed the LED headlights in the '73. Now I have LIGHTS!! And those will come in handy in the dark Arizona nights...
Now I have to justify spending that money all over again to put those lights in my '71. Got old H4's in that and they could use some improvement.
The LED bulbs in the other lights (from spoke) were such an improvement, I figured the headlights must be good too, and there were a LOT of recommendations here for them.

What headlights are you referring to? Do you have any pictures?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 4 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #6064

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Probably this headlight. I bought a set for my car. About $400 for the pair with the Amazon $100 per coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...+7%22+headlight
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jun 4 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #6065

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I backed them out, stripped and waxed the floor and moved them back in. Too tired to drive...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 4 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #6066

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 4 2015, 04:21 PM) *
Probably this headlight. I bought a set for my car. About $400 for the pair with the Amazon $100 per coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-NIGHTHAWK-Round-R...+7%22+headlight
YEOW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) - why are these so expensive ?
+Quote Post
rangrbob
post Jun 4 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #6067

Member No.: 15,027
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jun 2 2015, 05:41 PM) *

What did I do to my car today?

How about what did it do to me?!!!!

Removed what is left of the lower trumpet after my tire took it to task on a right hand turn on the test drive for my newly installed motor and tranny. Horn. He Gone... The motor ran great / idles smoothly at 1800 for a minute or so, then settles into a 900 rpm idle / blips up the scale smoothly and pulls at a conservative estimate of 2x my 1.7FI motor (which ran just fine before changing it our for this higher education).

The tranny shifting I sorted out after some very good advise from bdstone (Bruce) and all gears are there and shift nicely. What is not there is tranny oil.

The box did not drop a drip when filled and sitting for three days during the install and linkage tuning. The box did not drop a drip during the first three 1/4 mile loops in the neighborhood to check out the motor. Once I went for a real 5-gear test, BOOM! The main seal must have dearly departed because by the time I retuned to Laguna, the EPA had an APB out for little ole me. I was traced to my secrete (misspelled on porpoise) hideout by the dollar-sized blotches of fresh tranny oil splattered from Irvine down Laguna Canyon to the beach.

Upon clearing the smoke and neighbors, and upon undercarriage inspection, my newly refinished headers look like baked chocolate swirl sausages wrapped in mud. My tranny sports a patina of greenish grey with hints of auburn (or just... Ah.. burn) The underside of the little beast from the engine back looks worse than a beach in north Santa Barbara and the back bumper has a dust coating held to the car with a fine mist of gear oil infused with road grime.

Keep in mind that prior to this undertaking, I drove virtually nonstop - with Larmo doing parallels - all the way to WCR just before the new motor install began. At WCR, the mouse kept up with alll of the big cars..... in the parking lot.. not under power of course.... Consider that the lowly 1.7FI never missed a beat and needed only an occasional plug set, oil change, and the obligatory face mask to hide behind (or in Larmo's case a great domed helmet and bug-eyed goggles) / The 1.7 would regularly and dependably take me from the coast to Scottsdale to my Motor head Son's place wherein I could be roundly rebuked for bringing the sounds of clatter, spanks, clanks, and the put-put of the 1.7 to a place where 400HP is fairly weak.......

What did I do to my 914 today you ask? I put it on jack stands..... AGAIN!. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Looks like your car was Metallic Gold at one point. Was it an original Gold car?
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 4 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #6068

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Had a set of door locks keyed in L. A. today, L.B. Locksmith in Hollywood.
They hadn't seen 914 door locks since Bob Smith Porsche moved away, but they knew exactly what these were (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
BD Stone had the L side that I needed...thanks Bruce !Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 4 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #6069

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 31 2015, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 30 2015, 07:55 PM) *

Did you buy another radiator? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My new radiator (Celica GTS) and oil cooler (RX7) showed up. Time for some weekend fab... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Jun 4 2015, 11:37 PM
Post #6070

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

Small paint job!

There's a guy down the road from my house who runs a local paintshop. He's more into Jaguars etc, but loved the looks of the Teener. It took him back to his days as an apprentice...

He has repainted the area under the spare wheel.

Pics later today.

Menno

EDIT: here's a pic. Note the little hole in the middle of the floor, near the bulkhead. Under the hole, on the outside, there's now a 'bailer' like you find on a sailing dinghy: when you drive, the air going under the car 'sucks' the air and moist from under the spare wheel. Jags have a similar system.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433515235.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 5 2015, 02:31 AM
Post #6071

No car work again this week ... replaced some termite-infested wood, painting wood trim and new carpet installed this week (the house) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Our Auto Shop class ended on Tuesday night and our instructor is retiring on Friday. No more day classes at the school, but he's trying to keep the adult evening classes going - will know in mid August if we'll start up again in September (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I need to start looking to see if any classes are available in AZ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jun 5 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #6072

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Got my rear Sway Bar mounts welded in.

Got everything laid out but didn't want to burn holes in my new trunk floor, so I asked a master welder friend. he is certified to weld in nuclear power plants so he is my go-to guy for anything even slightly tricky.

these welds are so pretty I hate to clean them up with a grinder. like ruining artwork.

Trunk reinforcement

Attached Image

Mount

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MDTerp
post Jun 7 2015, 12:14 PM
Post #6073

Member No.: 9,075
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I installed a new windshield and trim without cracking it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 7 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #6074

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

QUOTE(MDTerp @ Jun 7 2015, 11:14 AM) *

I installed a new windshield and trim without cracking it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Nice job and nice color
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 7 2015, 12:49 PM
Post #6075

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Does tripping on some 1.7 liter heads in the garage and spilling my coffee count as "work"?
+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Jun 7 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #6076

Member No.: 16,332
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Got the rest of the landscape rocks gone so now when it cools off this evening the Pumpkin and I can go for a drive.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914fahrer
post Jun 7 2015, 01:26 PM
Post #6077

Member No.: 18,115
Region Association: Germany

Welding ,welding ,welding (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 7 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #6078

QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 4 2015, 10:37 PM) *
Small paint job! ...
EDIT: here's a pic. Note the little hole in the middle of the floor, near the bulkhead. Under the hole, on the outside, there's now a 'bailer' like you find on a sailing dinghy: when you drive, the air going under the car 'sucks' the air and moist from under the spare wheel. Jags have a similar system.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433515235.1.jpg)
Just an FYI, Mark (Mikey914 - aka 914rubber.com) makes & sells repro rubber drain nozzles for all those drain holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 7 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #6079

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 7 2015, 11:49 AM) *
Does tripping on some 1.7 liter heads in the garage and spilling my coffee count as "work"?
Only if you spent more than 10 minutes cleaning up after yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Jun 7 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #6080

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 7 2015, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 4 2015, 10:37 PM) *
Small paint job! ...

Just an FYI, Mark (Mikey914 - aka 914rubber.com) makes & sells repro rubber drain nozzles for all those drain holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Thanks!

Point is that 914Rubber beautifully made parts are eyewatering expensive to ship to Europe... according to the website, sending simple items like the pre mentioned rubbers will set me back more than $ 80.00 - for shipment alone. I am sure you can see why I'm not to happy with that.

If there's a way around that, I would certainly like to hear (read) it.

Menno
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 302 303 304 305 306 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 04:26 AM