Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 319 320 321 322 323 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Aug 6 2015, 03:09 AM
Post #6401

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Unless you're running an external cooler, an extra 1/2 quart is OK, 1 could be bordering trouble.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 6 2015, 09:06 PM
Post #6402

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Some assembly required!
Drivers seat almost finished. Not fully assembled yet. I am going to try and add a bit more cushion to back and lumbar support, seat heaters and then a bit more firm seat cushion. I made a few minor mistakes here but learned a lot in the process. I'm going to try and do another set soon.
The hardest part is to stretch the side and back around. After that getti.g the back of the headrest pulled tight fastened securely. Otherwise not too bad.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 6 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #6403

Member No.: 17,376

The '73 got the following today:

New:

Front rotors
Pads all four corners
New upgraded master cylinder
All four brake calipers rebuilt
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Aug 7 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #6404

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

Smokin' on the Dragon... didn't realize it was this bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
No wonder we don't have mosquitos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Aug 7 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #6405

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

That's fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 7 2015, 09:38 AM) *

Smokin' on the Dragon... didn't realize it was this bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
No wonder we don't have mosquitos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 7 2015, 11:34 AM
Post #6406

Were you drifting, or just got bad valve guides (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 8 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #6407

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

Had a crusty rusty fuel tank.

Step 1: (Electrolysis)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s15.postimg.org-11125-1439088972.1.jpg)

Step 2: (De-greaser & Phosphoric Acid bath)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s1.postimg.org-11125-1439088973.2.jpg)

Step 3: (KBS coating from Summit)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/s17.postimg.org-11125-1439088973.3.jpg)

I decided to do the coating as the tank will not have gas in it for a while. All the bad reviews of tank coating I believe are people rushing and not prepping the tank effectively. These modern coatings are designed to run ethanol fuels and racing fuels.

Definitely a time consuming process ( really a whole day...two days if your tank is BAD)
+Quote Post
dangrouche
post Aug 9 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #6408

dangrouche

Member No.: 2,012
Region Association: None

Got an idea from the $50 drink holder sold for 911s that attaches to the seat bases. When I saw that the 914 has the seat adjuster at that location, I devised an alternative contraption made from flat aluminum stock. I bent it and used a rasp to shave the metal down so that it would slide into the same track that the seat slider uses. I attached a bottle holder, so that the bottom of the bottle meets the floorpan.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 9 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #6409

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Got the 2.8 Twin-Plug ready for Dyno-Time!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KlokWerk
post Aug 9 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #6410

Member No.: 18,862
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Took the rusty side rails off and found more rust. I'll be cutting out a little bit of metal after media blasting.
The car is extremely light now that the suspension is out of it too!

Sourcing a Boxster S from Copart.com. Waiting for the right one.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 9 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #6411

What we did happened yesterday. I arrived at Kent's (76-914) bright and early (around 6:30am). Had some coffee and put the 'BB' up on blocks. I guess that could be considered 'car and coffee', no? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Kent started modifying a clutch/brake pedal assembly by grinding the tacks off of the original bolts.

Attached Image

I started in on the driver's side, taking the seat out for more room, then down into the foot well, removed the pedal board, disconnected the clutch cable & throttle linkage and gas pedal, then removed the old clutch pedal assembly.

Attached Image

Then Kent completely disassembled the pedal assy to tack in some longer bolts

Attached Image

whilst I was removing the clutch cable pulley console and the old clutch cable ...

Attached Image

... and installing the braided hydraulic hose in thoough the vacated clutch cable tube.

Attached Image

Stay tuned for part-II
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Aug 9 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #6412

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

Tried to install the front turn signal buckets, but I spent most of my time cleaning them. Now I need to paint them. Installed the side marker assemblies. But the screws for the lens wouldn't tighten all the way down. I need to figure that out.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 9 2015, 07:32 PM
Post #6413

Continued:

Kent lubed and reassembled the pedal assy and I installed it. Kent started under the the front end, installing the clutch master cylinder adapter plate to the existing brake master cylinder (that's why the longer bolts were added). Then he drilled a hole for the braided hose (to the slave cylinder) and installed a grommet to eliminate vibration chaffing ...

Attached Image

... and fished the hose through the grommet. Notice the small rivet in the hose opening? ... that was so we wouldn't introduce any debris when running the hose in through clutch cable tube (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

I started installing the slave cylinder mounting bracket, but Kent came back down there to finish up with the cylinder and linkage. Since we partially disassembled it from the mock-up transaxle, Kent knew how it all went back together better than me.

Attached Image

I installed the new reservoir adjacent to the brake system reservoir. We drained most of the fuel from the tank so we could lift it out enough to provide a path for the new supply hose to the master cylinder. Kent went back under to drill an additional hole for the supply hose and I fished it down through that same hole.

Attached Image

Next, Kent prepped the front end of the hose and attached a 90° AN connector, then attached it to the master cylinder while I re-secured the fuel tank.

Attached Image

Then Kent prepped the rear end of the hose and attached another AN connector, then attached it to the slave cylinder.

Attached Image

When we attempted to attach the clevis to the master cylinder plunger rod, we found that the bushing's bore diameter in the clutch arm on the pedal assembly was too small. There wasn't enough room to drill it out, or to press it out with it installed in the car, so this is where we stopped for the day. All we had left to do was fill the reservoir, bleed the system and make final linkage adjustments. We were SO close (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Hell, roughly 10 hours doing all this beat the shit of two old farts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 9 2015, 08:19 PM
Post #6414

UPDATE!

Today, Kent mentioned that he removed the pedal assembly, fabricated a press tool to pop the clutch arm bushing out and swapped it out for a modified (re-sized) bushing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

He'll fill me in on the details later, but it sounds good so far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 9 2015, 10:04 PM
Post #6415

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is terrific- two guys having fun working on a car together. Throw in a pepperoni pizza and a couple ice cold beers and that is just a terrific day.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 9 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #6416

... and a couple of Tylenols (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 9 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #6417

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well, I've had several long weekends (with only a little time to work on the tuning) of my car. I've finally decided that I know enough to say I don't know enough. I'm going to seek expert help locally.

After solving an issue with the O2 sensor some time ago, I began to make progress with a friend to try to lean it out (AFR values were hovering between 10-11, burning my eyes with unburnt hydrocarbons!) Successful as that has been, partially, I applied a firmware upgrade for my Megasquirt 3 module and have had fun trying to track down what the hell it did during that upgrade.

Since I didn't build this car (EDIT: I'm not a car builder - just an engineer who loves to drive and learn stuff), it's been a slow learning curve for me and I don't have all the specs on things like injector pulse widths, dead times ... things I suspect are causing some issues. But more likely the real errors are within the way the code/firmware changed. As stated in the latest manual about going from 1.2.x to 1.4.x (which I did), the first two "gotchas" to fix are these:

"1. Idle control settings re-arranged. Need to reset:
Stepper vs. PWM idle valve
Open-loop vs. Closed-loop
Output pin for PWM.
2. Closed-loop idle control
The settings are re-arranged to simplify setup, but existing users will need to retune."

Double (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I don't know how to do any of that! Not helpful to me. So, I'm taking it to an expert soon. This post is just all about me venting, in case you haven't noticed.

When I do manage to get a stable idle, it's acted strange with both the built-in EGO control and the "auto-tune" feature (I don't run them simultaneously). The autotune has actually helped somewhat. My VE table has an interesting look to it right now, with quite low percentages (I'm at a mile-high altitude) at idle, and a rather steep slope up to higher percentages. Still, even under just little throttle blips load (even partial, light throttle) the AFR gets super-lean (I've seen brief values of 15-20, almost off scale). Although I've read EGO sensors are wildly inaccurate at load conditions, this shouldn't be so dramatic with mild blips, I think.

Anyway, as much as I've enjoyed learning stuff, no matter what I try to do with after-start enrichment settings and stuff, I'm starting to admit a minor defeat. I think I might have the wrong pulse width setup under cranking, but there's something definitely wrong with the idle control settings ... what the hell they should be is beyond me. Right now, it's hard to start without pumping the throttle, a classic sign of being too rich, and it tends to stall with even feathering of the throttle ... not quite drivable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Anyway, that's what I've been doing to my 914 every weekend for the past 2 months or so. Thanks for reading all that. I'll hopefully, someday, know a lot more than I do now. It might even be the fact that I've got ITBs on it that are making for a difficult tune, but I think I've got more fundamental issues with the injectors and idle control preventing a stable running condition. I almost liked it better when it was just running mega-rich and fouling the plugs up while thinking the wideband O2 sensor was a narrow band sensor! Heheheh, life's funny sometimes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Aug 10 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #6418

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

added parts

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
abes914
post Aug 10 2015, 06:05 PM
Post #6419

Member No.: 12,880

Today, I cleaned my windshield with glass cleaner in anticipation of driving it to the train station or even all the way to work..hmmm...

As for the past couple of weeks, me and my buddy replaced the clutch disc and flywheel! I was dreading to do it--the most i've done was to replace oil and add in transmission fluids and easy stuff. I just adjusting the clutch cable last Saturday and took the 914 for a ride around my neighborhood. WOW! That was satisfying and encouraging. It went all right! No grinding and the car felt really good. i also found out what is leaking--my driver side axle to transmission is leaking and my shift linkage seal in the transmission is also leaking. I saw instructions from Pelican so i'll be printing them out and ordering parts soon.

I also borrowed my friends cordless impact wrench and his 27mm socket to replace my steering wheel. I got a lecarra steering wheel from a board member a year ago. not too bad for $30.

And to finish my weekend, i finally installed spoke's led brake lights. now i wish i had ordered his rear led signal lights too.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 11 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #6420

Glad to hear the clutch disc worked out for you, Abe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 319 320 321 322 323 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:09 PM