Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

846 Pages V « < 322 323 324 325 326 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Aug 16 2015, 12:36 PM
Post #6461

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Aug 16 2015, 08:33 AM) *
I know the horror stories, but why not use an EZout?
It's a recessed barrel nut with an internal Allen head, Pat. The Allen bit tool striped out the nut when I attempted to remove it - the PO probably striped it when he torqued it on.

EZ-out won't work because the tip of the stud is less than a 1/4" below the surface of the nut - nothing to grab on to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-7300-1439630872_thumb.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Aug 16 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #6462

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 16 2015, 11:31 AM) *

Put another 16 miles on the LE's odometer today. Odometer now reads 48,583 original miles. The dreaded 50k is fast approaching! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)

Why worry about the mileage? Don't save your car for the next guy ... get out there and enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven and I can't think of a car that's more fun to drive than a 914.
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 16 2015, 01:33 PM
Post #6463

Member No.: 17,027

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i2.photobucket.com-17027-1439753618.1.jpg)

Woke up to this for the first time this morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yesterday I put in a side shift console with new seals, speedo drive with double seal, pulled both CV joints to put in new diff shaft seals, refilled the tranny with Swepco and took it for a drive.

The before picture was literally a foot square puddle of oil after I changed the old oil. Some of the seals I pulled were so dried out pieces snapped off them as pulled them out.

+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 16 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #6464

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Aug 16 2015, 03:15 PM) *

Why worry about the mileage? Don't save your car for the next guy ... get out there and enjoy it. Cars are meant to be driven and I can't think of a car that's more fun to drive than a 914.

That's what my six is for (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The LE was my Dads car & has been a garage queen her whole life.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 16 2015, 01:48 PM
Post #6465

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

After being reminded on how to actually move the seats so I could get to the seatbelt bolts, I put in a new Sabelt 4-pt harness (passenger side is coming ... for now, I'm giving no rides). Found out that if using the newer eye-bolts (actually, I have to do this for this harness), when putting them into the tunnel, one should be careful if the bolts are much longer than the ones that were in there before (presumably stock) ... I ended up pushing against the shift linkage, making it impossible to shift. I also learned that when moving a seat forward, if you pull it out too far you'll need to find and press down a spring tab on the other rail (outside, or left leg) in order to get the seat to slide back in. That one baffled me for a while yesterday. Heheheh ... one thing leads to another! :roll eyes:

Now, back to tuning.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Aug 16 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #6466

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 13 2015, 07:33 PM) *

Thinking about this - Opinions?

This took me a bit to see what you meant (or what I think you meant) since the plastic is so new and clear ... and that's kinda the point of any opinion I would have. I think it looks cool as hell, but if (when?) it gets scratched, it might be more annoying than a standard metal rain hat, no? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I still think it's cool. I often want to take off the rain hats and filters and just let the ITBs shine and roar...
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Aug 16 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #6467

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Had a few friends over yesterday for a little BBQ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Aug 16 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #6468

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 16 2015, 02:31 PM) *
Put another 16 miles on the LE's odometer today. Odometer now reads 48,583 original miles. The dreaded 50k is fast approaching! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg)

Careful, a trip every weekend like that and you'll hit the big 50k in April 2017 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/creamsicle914.jpg) every day!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Aug 16 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #6469

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Put the Hot Start Relay kit on. Seems to be working fine. I hope it prevents me from having to replace my ignition switch again anytime soon. When the dumb ass current owner put the new (cheap replica) ignition switch in last year he bollocksed up the little screw that holds the switch in the cylinder. So he's not looking forward to sorting that out. Hopefully he won't have to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Got the relay kit from Pelly-can. Not sure if it's McMark's kit or not, but it was a very straightforward upgrade, so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) to all involved.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Aug 16 2015, 06:13 PM
Post #6470

Member No.: 17,215

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) over the hill to San Gregario beach, and then down PCH to. Santa Cruz.

Only saw one or two 911s going up HWY1 from Monterey.

A nice day at the beach, too hot inland. 93 in Palo Alto.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Aug 16 2015, 06:15 PM
Post #6471

Member No.: 17,215

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Aug 16 2015, 05:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) over the hill to San Gregario beach, and then down PCH to. Santa Cruz.

Only saw one or two 911s going up HWY1 from Monterey.

A nice day at the beach, too hot inland. 93 in Palo Alto.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 16 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #6472

nice view (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Oh, I took the day off to spend some quality time with Dianne (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 16 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #6473

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I walked pass mine today... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Too much honey doo this weekend to drive...
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 16 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #6474

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Installed 914Rubber roll bar sail panels and top. Soldiered wires DAPO cut and spliced to
make horn work instead of buy a turn signal switch. Repaired seat belt plugs.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 16 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #6475

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Amazingly, I put a muffler on my car and actually drove it around on the street a bit! I put a couple gallons of 100 octane in it and went for a loop around Cornell Road and Mulholland Highway near my house.

The muffler is a Triad 914-6 "quiet" version. It seems pretty nice and the car runs decently with it, although it's a race engine tuned for open pipes so is not completely happy putting around town. Honestly I can't hear the exhaust in my car at all because the carbs, fan and road noise are overwhelming. I also installed the new repro muffler support bracket I got to replace my broken Engman one. I painted it with stainless steel rattle can.

I realized about 3/4 way through the job that it would have been MUCH easier had I jacked-up the car. The bolts are very tough to access on the Triad.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 17 2015, 01:02 PM
Post #6476

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

The battery is dead again, i guess it's safe to say i need a new one ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Aug 17 2015, 09:20 PM
Post #6477

Woke up with what I hope is only a 24-hour bug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) - so didn't do much today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Later in the day Richard called and gave me some verbal instructions on how to fab a wrist-pin puller for cylinder #3. I rummaged through the junk pile and came up with this device:

Attached Image

Here's the Parts List:

(1) 7" length of 3/8" all thread
(2) 3/8" nuts (one is a locking/jam nut ... you can use a single Nylock if you have one handy)
(1) 5/16" flat washer (The OD of this washer needs to be smaller than the OD of the wrist-pin, but larger than the wrist-pin's ID, so it will grab the pin, but also pass through the rod bushing)
(1) 3" length of 1.5" diameter PVC pipe (I ground a 1/4" deep scallop into one end. This will butt up to the side of the piston and should prevent damage to the piston and/or the rings)
(1) 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum plate, with a 3/8" hole drilled in the center (I was lazy so I left the length of the plate long).
(1) 3/8" flat washer
(1) 3/8" all-thread coupling nut (a regular nut will work, this just happened to already be on the all-thread).

Theory of operation:

1. Remove the two nuts and flat washer from the tail end of the all-thread, insert the all-thread through the #3 wrist pin from the cylinder #4 side. Don't forget to remove both circlips first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
2. Position the scalloped end of the PVC pipe against the #3 piston and reinstall the 5/16" flat washer and two nuts (snug them up and lightly jam them together - these take a 9/16" wrench).
3. Use a 1/2" or a 13mm ratchet type box wrench on the all-thread coupling nut. As you tighten up the coupling nut, it will pull the wrist-pin out of the piston and into the PVC pipe.

* EDIT - You may need to a insert a small screw driver between the wrist-pin bore and the doubled-nuts at the tail end, to keep the all-thread shaft from spinning when tightening the long all-thread coupling nut.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it out until tomorrow (if I feel better by then) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Garland
post Aug 17 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #6478

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Masking off for final paint step, don't want overspray on a freshly painted trunk's.
72 All Stock.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Aug 18 2015, 03:12 AM
Post #6479

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

That looks awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 17 2015, 11:59 PM) *

Masking off for final paint step, don't want overspray on a freshly painted trunk's.
72 All Stock.

+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Aug 18 2015, 03:55 AM
Post #6480

Member No.: 17,376

Nice! The PO of my '73 had nothing masked when painting, and I have spent countless hours cleaning off over-spray.
+Quote Post

846 Pages V « < 322 323 324 325 326 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 11:47 PM