Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

843 Pages V « < 384 385 386 387 388 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Larmo63
post Jun 11 2016, 10:47 PM
Post #7701

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

My new/old '73 Ivory 2.0 car arrived this morning.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jun 11 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #7702

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

After a few hours of fiddling, it looks a bit better. Keeping a small stash of leftover parts pays big dividends when getting another 914. Nuts and bolts, correcting small things. I can note that it does have factory sway bars which made me happy and the chrome bumpers are outstanding. Anybody have a spare outside mirror?

I installed a battery, and it fired up instantaneously. Surprised the shit out of Forrest and me!

Now, all I need is a 19mm master cylinder and I'm good to go driving.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 12 2016, 01:37 AM
Post #7703

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I've got a camping trip coming up in a couple of weeks so I decided to start prepping 'Eileen' for the event. Since I had a blow-out a couple of weeks ago, and didn't want to buy any new stock-sized 14" tires, decided to install the MBZ CLK alloy wheels and Geolander 215/65-16s on her.

I needed to install 1/4'" spacers up front so the tires don't rub on the insides, and that necessitated longer lug bolts. I just happened to have some extra 914 bolts that were blasted a while back, so I hit ten of them with flat black 'Rust Reformer'. The CLKs were previously 'altered' to accept the VW diameter and ball-seat bolt/nut profile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Started with the front left ...

Attached Image

... then the front right ...

Attached Image

... then on to the right rear, but before doing so, cleaned up and painted the brake drum while I was in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Attached Image

I was able to get most of the nut threads onto the stock length studs, but because the alloys are a little thicker than the steelies, and, I'll be installing 1/4" spacers in the rear as well (not that the rear tires would rub, just want to keep them in line with the fronts), I'll be ordering some longer studs (and a couple of lug nuts) this coming week.

Attached Image

A problem arose, though ... I wasn't able to get one of the lug nuts off of the left rear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ... I sprayed PB Blaster on it and tried heating it, but that didn't work ... and when I used a longer length of pipe over the breaker bar, I ended up rounding-off the damn nut!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jun 12 2016, 01:43 AM
Post #7704

Member No.: 17,376

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 11 2016, 09:50 PM) *

I installed a battery, and it fired up instantaneously. Surprised the shit out of Forrest and me!

Fantastic!!!

Also, I can get you the contact info for some excellent Mustang mirrors.
+Quote Post
914pipe
post Jun 12 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #7705

Say......TEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Member No.: 2,422
Region Association: South East States

Carpooling!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 12 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #7706

Fuch ... the lug nut from hell is now toast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Jun 12 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #7707

Member No.: 19,630

Finished detailing for next Saturday's PCA Orange Coast Region Concours and Display in Fountain Valley,CA. Hope to see you there.

.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Racer
post Jun 13 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #7708

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Went to the local PCA Tech event for an upcoming DE yesterday. Wanted to get the car up on a lift and have some extra eyes point out any issues.. and they did. Well, what do you expect with a 46 year old car!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 13 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #7709

Richard (Type 4 Unleashed) and I talked today about my wife's 1.7L motor ... he's examined everything except for the heads (we'll get to those later in the week), and planning what we'll be doing with it.

It will remain a 1.7L, but I'd like to make some little upgrades like 911 swivel foot adjusters and chromoly push rods and stainless steel vavles at a minimum.

We'll have some more direction come this Thursday ...
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jun 13 2016, 11:23 PM
Post #7710

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 13 2016, 06:52 PM) *

Richard (Type 4 Unleashed) and I talked today about my wife's 1.7L motor ... he's examined everything except for the heads (we'll get to those later in the week), and planning what we'll be doing with it.

It will remain a 1.7L, but I'd like to make some little upgrades like 911 swivel foot adjusters and chromoly push rods and stainless steel vavles at a minimum.

Why do you want chromoly pushrods on a 1.7? Do you plan on a different cam and carbs?
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jun 13 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #7711

Member No.: 13,549

QUOTE(Gmanscott55 @ Jun 12 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Finished detailing for next Saturday's PCA Orange Coast Region Concours and Display in Fountain Valley,CA. Hope to see you there.

That's a beautiful car Gmanscott55! Are those 17" wheels?
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 14 2016, 12:44 AM
Post #7712

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

QUOTE(Gmanscott55 @ Jun 12 2016, 06:25 PM) *

What kind of rims are those. They are sexy with that green
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 14 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #7713

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pulled it from the trailer and speed shined all the Oregon rain off ! then Drove it to the tux shop,,,
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Jun 14 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #7714

Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 17 2011, 10:07 PM) *

i just wanted to start a thread to see what you guys do day to day on your cars.

i'll start,

about a month ago, i pulled my engine and trans to put in a new clutch. had the flywheel lightened and resurfaced. but what i didnt know is that i had to shim the little ball that the clutch arm rides on, after a resurfacing. so guess what i did today?

yup, pulled the trans and put an extra washer under the ball. you have to goop up both washers to get it to seal because the threaded hole goes all the way thru to the inside of the trans. i also replaced the plastic cup that the ball rides in. the throwout bearing and its little plastic blocks were fine so i buttoned every thing back up. 5 hours total. i think this has been the cheapest repair yet on my car. $2.75 for the little plastic cup.

what did you do to your 914 today?

I put in the back window with the required 2 rows of black electrical tape at the bottom I must add. That allowed me to put in the newly vinyled back pad with the interior light. This was after I assembled and lubed the seat belts. After 23 years in the barn they wouldn't work. Took one apart only to have a clock spring jump out and scare the crap out me. All fixed now except my fingers which should heal in a week or so. What fun I'm having
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 14 2016, 11:22 AM
Post #7715

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jun 13 2016, 10:23 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 13 2016, 06:52 PM) *

It will remain a 1.7L, but I'd like to make some little upgrades like 911 swivel foot adjusters and chromoly push rods and stainless steel valves at a minimum.

Why do you want chromoly pushrods on a 1.7? Do you plan on a different cam and carbs?
Better rocker geometry with the swivel foot adjusters and zero lash valve adjustments. Chromoly rods don't expand as much as the stock rods.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 14 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #7716

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Took the '71 out for a quick cruise before the rain came- hadn't driven it for a while and the first time since the mod to the signal lights in the tach (after installing all the LED turn and brake lights). Now, no tach signal! Must have loosened the tach signal wire in the process...
Too damned hot and humid to fix today!!
Otherwise, ran great!
+Quote Post
Gmanscott55
post Jun 14 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #7717

Member No.: 19,630

Those asking about rims. They are a MY 2002 Porsche 996 ten spoke factory 5 bolt wheel powder coated black. 7 x 17 on front and 9 x 17 on rear.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jun 15 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #7718

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

I'm now just a few days away from finishing the exterior body. It's all in epoxy primer allowing it to be protected and showing me the dimples in the metal work.

A little bit of sanding and painting in the hell hole done today. Once the seam sealer dries can get in and put on the colour coat.

Taking a break tomorrow to watch Wales v England in the euro's then back on it Friday.

Think I found someone to paint it today. He's going to call around next week to look at it and either say yes or tell me what he wants me to do before he has it.

What do people do about the sticker on the door shut pillar, the one with the vin and build date on it?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 15 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #7719

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I will be leaving work in a few minutes to go pick up my engine parts from the machine shop!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jun 15 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #7720

Member No.: 19,245

Re-keyed the door locks and installed new handles.
Nice to get rid of pitted chrome and have a key that works .
+Quote Post

843 Pages V « < 384 385 386 387 388 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:21 PM