Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 405 406 407 408 409 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
speed metal army
post Oct 11 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #8121

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

I drove it! Ive been neglecting the LGD for damn near the whole summer as the black car was parked closer to the garage door. Man, the 911 is cool but the 914 is just a blast. Love my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 12 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #8122

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

Wrapped up my car so well it now looks like a parcel.

I managed to get the final coat on 1 wing, door and valance. I don't have enough space to paint all in one go.

Had another play with my carbs to try and figure things out. Emailed a couple of people more knowledgeable than me about them.

Also managed to get a strap painted and stripped the flaky paint off one of the bump grills.

And I modified the mounts so that the trunk will now close properly with the gas struts fitted.

Not too bad a day.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 15 2016, 11:47 AM
Post #8123

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Discovered another road last night on Google maps and went for a 1 hr drive this morning. Gotta love that satellite view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Oct 15 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #8124

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Took the teener to the car show & car parade at Dillsburg's "Farmers Fair." It's always fun being tucked in between muscle cars & classics:

Attached Image

I was shocked when I turned the corner and saw this...yet another green 914 in Central PA. I've never seen another 914 at this show. Don't know the owner or the car:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 15 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #8125

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Did you leave a note on his/her windshield?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 16 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #8126

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Drove my car finally on a longer drive. Hadn't hardly driven it except one time after Ron Meir passed this year. Went to hang out with the early 911 reg group. Saw a 356 with a "chopped" flat six in it. 4 banger with dual OHC and it was amazing sounding. No tappet noise, with what looked liked a dual outlet Dansk. You wonder if they built this and put in in a 914. Sorry no pics.

Perfect day here in So Cal ......mid sixties with patchy blue skies, might even get a little rain tonight.

Car ran flawless with new gas in it. I need to get out more.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Oct 16 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #8127

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I worked on the valve covers / hot tanked them then cleaned and painted / then stole one of my lovely wife's emory boards to buff off the PORSCHE lettering / the finish looks much beter than the reflections being shown in the photos,,,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Then helped Keith drop his motor yet again......

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 16 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #8128

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

What's wrong with Keith's motor?
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 16 2016, 06:37 PM
Post #8129

Member No.: 805

Spent a little time doing some tuning. Got the car fully warmed up and used my Heathkit Exhaust Gas Analyzer to check and set the idle CO. Car recently had a valve adjustment and I checked the timing before setting the CO. Initial setting was about 4%, like I thought, too rich. Not only does it produce more pollution, waste gas, and increase HC's in the crankcase, it also can affect idle stability. Turns out the idle mixture adjustment on the ECU is quite sensitive, as a single click toward lean (CCW) brought it down to 3%. Re-adjusted the idle bleed screw to get the correct idle speed, and spent some more time checking the setting at various idle loadings (i.e. turning on various electrical loads). Will do some more test runs to see if I think this is where it should be. One day, I'll get off my butt and design and implement an active idle speed control for these crazy cars.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Oct 16 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #8130

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

Replaced the hard line, master and flex feed brake lines.

I can't imagine what a pita it is to replace the master and the feed lines with the steering and suspension in place.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 17 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #8131

I finished brake master cylinder clean up, i know have all i need to refit the mc and the pedal box.

Stripped the headlight mechanisms and got them into primer. Haven't decided which colour to paint them yet, orange or black. Will flip a coin to decide that tomorrow. Also got the rear part of the engine lid into black, that's now finished & ready to refit.

More body painting tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 18 2016, 12:43 AM
Post #8132

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Made a fixture to help mill flat and then drill out the broken exhaust studs.

Can be used for other mods to the heads as well since the angle plate is adjustable.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Redraptor
post Oct 18 2016, 04:47 AM
Post #8133

Member No.: 20,501

Bought my 74 914 2.0 on Saturday. She won't turn over, needs a fair amount of body work out and a good cleaning. One owner 63k miles barned for over 30 years.

Today I ripped the rockers off and found...super solid longs. I had anticipated some damage to the passenger long just because of the hell hole, but after sticking my head under the car the hell hole damage stops just short of the long. The worst damage is where the rivets holding the rocker on rusted in their holes, so that will need some repair. Structurally the car appears and feels solid as a rock. I may have found the reason the car won't turn too, the drivers side seat belt wire was disconnected. I'm not holding my breath, but fingers crossed.

Overall I feel it was a good Day 1. Day 2 is Wednesday.Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phoenix914
post Oct 18 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #8134

Member No.: 7,322
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Redraptor @ Oct 18 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Bought my 74 914 2.0 on Saturday. She won't turn over, needs a fair amount of body work out and a good cleaning. One owner 63k miles barned for over 30 years.

Today I ripped the rockers off and found...super solid longs. I had anticipated some damage to the passenger long just because of the hell hole, but after sticking my head under the car the hell hole damage stops just short of the long. The worst damage is where the rivets holding the rocker on rusted in their holes, so that will need some repair. Structurally the car appears and feels solid as a rock. I may have found the reason the car won't turn too, the drivers side seat belt wire was disconnected. I'm not holding my breath, but fingers crossed.

Overall I feel it was a good Day 1. Day 2 is Wednesday.Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 18 2016, 07:44 AM
Post #8135

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Redraptor @ Oct 18 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Overall I feel it was a good Day 1. Day 2 is Wednesday.

Welcome, from Cincy!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 18 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #8136

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I hope its that easy for you! - so you cleared out and replaced fluids etc first? clean the tank, gas lines too first!! those lines will be bad after sitting for 30 years. -

Seems like very month or so we have 1 or 2 new barn find cars that have been tucked away in storage for some length of time that are being rediscovered!!! amazing how many are still out there! of course also good to see them no just rotting away but re-discovered and put back into use!

keep us posted on the progress.
+Quote Post
Redraptor
post Oct 18 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #8137

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 18 2016, 08:09 AM) *

I hope its that easy for you! - so you cleared out and replaced fluids etc first? clean the tank, gas lines too first!! those lines will be bad after sitting for 30 years. -

Seems like very month or so we have 1 or 2 new barn find cars that have been tucked away in storage for some length of time that are being rediscovered!!! amazing how many are still out there! of course also good to see them no just rotting away but re-discovered and put back into use!

keep us posted on the progress.

I have clean up scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday. The front trunk got jammed in transport, so I need to drop the bumper, but the wasted tires are in the way of the bolts so I need to put her on jack stands to take the tires off to access the bolts to drop the bumper to access the trunk to clean stuff out. Phew.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 19 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #8138

I put the final colour coat on the last panels today. Having reviewed the bonnet i'm not happy so i'm going to redo it. Also got the rear roll bar trims into primer after a bit of fettling to straighten them up a bit.

+Quote Post
Redraptor
post Oct 19 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #8139

Day 3 resto: Removed the bumper and wife popped the trunk yesterday So I spent the afternoon today I.D.-ing weird wires (CB wires), de-rusting the front latch release, and locating long deceased tenants(talk about finding a good reason to disassemble the car, screw rust dead mice are way more disgusting)

Day 4: Battery tomorrow for a full electric system check and start to remove gas tank for re-seal.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 20 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #8140

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Pulled the front bumper (swapping from painted to chrome) and cleaned!
Before and after

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 405 406 407 408 409 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:09 PM