Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 413 414 415 416 417 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Costa05
post Dec 7 2016, 06:13 PM
Post #8281

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bought a used 60 gallon compressor off CL to replace my piddly 20 gallon that gave out. Now i can really grind rust off floor pans! Woop woop!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slotty008
post Dec 8 2016, 03:49 PM
Post #8282

Member No.: 19,349
Region Association: None

Last week I received a pair of very nice B-pillar trims from Garold. I was planning to install them today after replacing the backpad insulation But then I realised it would be better to take out the rear window first because it leaks a little bit wich probably caused the extensive rust on the floors and the firewall. Floors and firewall are perfectly repaired now ( 4 weeks in the body shop) so I want to keep it that way. Anyway thank you Garold for the almost perfect trims.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 11 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #8283

Member No.: 17,273

I worked on the four wheel to replace my trusty cookies.

I installed the newly refurbed wheels on the car with a tire switch, balance, and new stems. Then I headed home only to determine in 200 feet, that one wheel was rubbing on the unrolled fender lip. I shut it down and then had it bed-towed to my pla's place (Keith) wherein we deployed his sage 911 fender roller tools.

He worked both fenders to address the slight contact on the one and to gain visual balance on the other.

I then switched front to back on the rub-side just to confirm (on a new sidewall), that the case was solved. I am going with the walnut shell blast / no polish, and satin black paint / all cleared coated / if it doesn't hold up here at the beach-air, i will try something else............. Voli!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Dec 11 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #8284

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Let's see........
Waited for
1. The orange six in the body shop
2. The white six at the blaster
3. The yellow conversion at the body shop for egnine bay repaint
4. The orange six engine that would be done Nov 15
5. And. Track beast to go back to shop for oiled clutch fix....
Guess I did a lot of waiting as the wheels of progress move slowly
At least all are in "process" and I am not waiting for Harvey or Al (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Dec 11 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #8285

Member No.: 5,880

Installed a Kenwood HD head unit which absolutely transformed the sound from th 6" Blaup... speakers. Nothing short of amazing but not period correct, but then I prefer my tunage not to sound like the early 70s FM.

The only gotcha not on the wiring schematic is that it required a second ground directly from the units chasis to the 914 body. That one confounded me for 3 hours.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Dec 11 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #8286

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 11 2016, 10:49 AM) *

Let's see........
Waited for
1. The orange six in the body shop
2. The white six at the blaster
3. The yellow conversion at the body shop for egnine bay repaint
4. The orange six engine that would be done Nov 15
5. And. Track beast to go back to shop for oiled clutch fix....
Guess I did a lot of waiting as the wheels of progress move slowly
At least all are in "process" and I am not waiting for Harvey or Al (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Check out this guy for refinishing your Fuchs.
Much, much quicker than Harvey and the quality looks so far to be great.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 13 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #8287

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Finally got the retro black & yellow license plates for my old 911 today. The car had been off the road for 33 years and was no longer in their system, so they wouldn't issue new registration without a VIN verification, although I did have the title and the registration from the last time it was registered (1983). I had all the paperwork taken care of and paid the registration fee ($84.) earlier in the year, just needed the VIN checked out.

A friend directed me to a source to have the VIN verified without having to trailer the car to the CHP or DMV, and this was all done while I was out of town. I got back last Friday and went to the DMV this morning with the verification document. The clerk I had to deal with was a royal pain in the ass ... she wouldn't issue me the registration and new plates unless I paid additional back fees and penalties for all the years it hasn't been registered.

I finally ended up speaking with the manager and went on to explain some of the DMV's own procedures to her regarding re-registering a car that I've owned for nearly 40 years. She ended up handing my paperwork to another clerk and it all got it taken care of without any extra fees (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I hate dealing with DMV people who don't know what their own policies are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 13 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #8288

Today I opened up the can of worms......

Riv-nuts at M6 all around / Then I drove it hard to see what the engine noise change might be. No worries. A precise and tight fit of the hatch and well prior to reinstallation of the interior backpad carpet... which will further deaden noise..// I will be offering this hatch cover in carbon fiber (not plastic) after I create a prototype and perfect the product .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And so the last pic shows it installed for the test run and the suggested bolt is an M6 cap screw into the Rivnut

Sidebar: when installing rivnuts in sheetmetal, understand the thickness of the material you are mating that fastener to / too heavy in gauge, failure. correct fasteneer for the 914 sheet metal gauge / success.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Dec 13 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #8289

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Very nice! I might be interested in making this modification.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 14 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #8290

Hey Lone Wolf: If you want me to trace the opening and then the cover and riv-nut pattern, let me know. I can send you a pattern folded in an envelope for next to nothing but time.

I used an air driven wheel to cut the firewall then fine tuned the edges with an 80 grit wheel on my Mikita to make perfect to the pattern and alleviate the suicide wrist slicers from the wheel-cuts. Now, as one draws a wrist or arm back out of the hole, no critical body parts will be clogging the alternator fan or belt and pulley. I want the color of my fan shroud to remain red...paint.

My 6 will be somewhat old school (like me) with original (recurved dizzy) so I need access for cap, rotor etc. Also, belt changes, or general inspections come easier / there has to be a good reason the factory GT's had this modification..... or maybe they were old and worn out too...

Merry Christmas
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Dec 14 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #8291

Member No.: 13,549

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 14 2016, 09:41 AM) *

Hey Lone Wolf: If you want me to trace the opening and then the cover and riv-nut pattern, let me know. I can send you a pattern folded in an envelope for next to nothing but time.

I used an air driven wheel to cut the firewall then fine tuned the edges with an 80 grit wheel on my Mikita to make perfect to the pattern and alleviate the suicide wrist slicers from the wheel-cuts. Now, as one draws a wrist or arm back out of the hole, no critical body parts will be clogging the alternator fan or belt and pulley. I want the color of my fan shroud to remain red...paint.

My 6 will be somewhat old school (like me) with original (recurved dizzy) so I need access for cap, rotor etc. Also, belt changes, or general inspections come easier / there has to be a good reason the factory GT's had this modification..... or maybe they were old and worn out too...

Merry Christmas

I'd love to have a template to lay out in my car to see what all would be effected. As I understand your post, it looks like you plan to continue to use the factory backpad and I'd like to do the same. Hopefully everything will still fit after the removable cover is in place. I'll PM you my contact information. Thank you!
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Dec 14 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #8292

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 11 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Installed a Kenwood HD head unit which absolutely transformed the sound from th 6" Blaup... speakers. Nothing short of amazing but not period correct, but then I prefer my tunage not to sound like the early 70s FM.

The only gotcha not on the wiring schematic is that it required a second ground directly from the units chasis to the 914 body. That one confounded me for 3 hours.

Which Kenwood? I did the same earlier this year, KMM-BT515HD, couldn't be happier with the result.
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Dec 14 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #8293

Lone: I am planning on using my custom square weave backpad or none at all / I don't want to dilute the symphony of tunes coming from six Italian deep throats in concert with 200 and something German horses / all at full tilt.

My lovely wife's concerns are no longer if we are going top off (off of the 914), but rather,... are we not taking the MBZ SUV that has a heater, tunes, and full connectivity... Afterall, it got down to 76 last night...

You could definitely bury the hatch behind the stock backpad if desired as the profile doesn't change in the firewall.

After a rip up the coast today, the hatch has no perceivable leaks and the sounds of the engine are all from the GT lid / not in the cabin. If I can find it, I will install the top and see what the tunes sound like from an enclosed interior.

Cheers

What did I do today on the 6 project? Little. I fabricated 12 galvanized studs for my PMO intake manifolds, measured the height to allow nut and washer installation next to the carb bowls, then locktited them into each threaded hole.

I also moved out a 911 oil tank going to a deserving patron of Pelican 911 Parts FS.

Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 14 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #8294

Interested in a cut-out template too, Forrest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 14 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #8295

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Adjusted play on the piston rod for the MC- such a fun location to work, especially with bad shoulders...
Will try a test drive tomorrow to see if that helps with spongy pedal even after MULTIPLE bleedings!!
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Dec 15 2016, 12:20 AM
Post #8296

Member No.: 20,535

I hand built a 914 out of 3,285 beer cans. Can't decide if I should paint it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 15 2016, 12:54 AM
Post #8297

QUOTE(Costa05 @ Dec 14 2016, 10:20 PM) *
I hand built a 914 out of 3,285 beer cans. Can't decide if I should paint it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 15 2016, 01:31 AM
Post #8298

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 14 2016, 07:51 PM) *
Adjusted play on the piston rod for the MC- such a fun location to work, especially with bad shoulders...
Will try a test drive tomorrow to see if that helps with spongy pedal even after MULTIPLE bleedings!!
Did you bleed at the MC first? ... Also, how about at the proportioning valve at the firewall?
+Quote Post
JFG
post Dec 17 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #8299

Member No.: 19,869

This week i have fitted the rear glass, head light assemblies a couple of seals and today i built up the drivers door.

I also trial fitted the roof but it's a bit tight as the front rubbers are new and need to bed in a bit.

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 17 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #8300

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Took my Dad out to breakfast for his 74th birthday.

This is my car crying at having to be out of the house in 31 degree weather.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 413 414 415 416 417 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 10:38 PM