Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 440 441 442 443 444 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
michael7810
post May 10 2017, 06:53 AM
Post #8821

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 9 2017, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 9 2017, 08:52 PM) *
WCR is only 23 days away. Got started on my list of prep work...mostly fixing things that broke during Rt66.
Removed flex dam and installed stock front valance to help with cooling
Removed both front shock spanner nuts and re-torqued using blue locktite. The left side came loose during Rt 66. The right side was not as tight as I would have liked it. Rechecked all front suspension hardware while I was there.
Installed Ford starter solenoid using the Mark Henry method (thanks Mark)
Ordered new rear tires...left rear had a flat spot from a spin during my last DE and the rumble was annoying during long highway drive to Rt 66
Removed lower dash pad in preparation for replacing the ignition switch. Have not been able to isolate the intermittent start issue...hoping to find a cracked switch.
Started fab'ing adapter plates to replace the K&N type air filters with Honda Gold Wing air boxes. Left side is rough cut and fit checked good. I'll do a separate write-up on this with pictures when complete.
Still needed is; finish installing GW air boxes, replace ignition switch, adjust valves, replace breather hoses (going to tie the 2 head breathers together and run only the oil filler stand breather hose to the air box), adjust the targa top to address hellacious squeak and detail. Workie workie
Michael, did you already source some Goldwing air boxes? ... I still have the pair we discussed previously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mark - I did buy 2 boxes eBay. I remembered we discussed your boxes a couple years ago but thought for sure you already got rid of them...guess I should have asked.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 10 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #8822

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 10 2017, 05:53 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 9 2017, 10:13 PM) *
Michael, did you already source some Goldwing air boxes? ... I still have the pair we discussed previously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Mark - I did buy 2 boxes eBay. I remembered we discussed your boxes a couple years ago but thought for sure you already got rid of them...guess I should have asked.
No problem ... looking forward to your thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 10 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #8823

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Installed the Engman manual trunk release pull; big thanks to Stratplayer for the NLA kit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 10 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #8824

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

drove it to work again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 10 2017, 06:35 PM
Post #8825

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

drove it to where I used to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
michael7810
post May 10 2017, 08:07 PM
Post #8826

Member No.: 13,164

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 9 2017, 08:52 PM) *

WCR is only 23 days away. Got started on my list of prep work...mostly fixing things that broke during Rt66.
Removed flex dam and installed stock front valance to help with cooling
Removed both front shock spanner nuts and re-torqued using blue locktite. The left side came loose during Rt 66. The right side was not as tight as I would have liked it. Rechecked all front suspension hardware while I was there.
Installed Ford starter solenoid using the Mark Henry method (thanks Mark)
Ordered new rear tires...left rear had a flat spot from a spin during my last DE and the rumble was annoying during long highway drive to Rt 66
Removed lower dash pad in preparation for replacing the ignition switch. Have not been able to isolate the intermittent start issue...hoping to find a cracked switch.
Started fab'ing adapter plates to replace the K&N type air filters with Honda Gold Wing air boxes. Left side is rough cut and fit checked good. I'll do a separate write-up on this with pictures when complete.
Still needed is; finish installing GW air boxes, replace ignition switch, adjust valves, replace breather hoses (going to tie the 2 head breathers together and run only the oil filler stand breather hose to the air box), adjust the targa top to address hellacious squeak and detail. Workie workie

Finished replacing the ignition switch. Old switch is made in Germany and not cracked. So I disassembled it and found a bunch of crud on the contacts and the center contact was burned. I believe this was self induced as a couple years ago I squirted some TriFlow in the key hole to free up the steering lock mechanism and I believe that stuff worked it's way into the switch. I installed a new switch (not German) and disassembled/cleaned the old one with contact cleaner and put a dab of silicone grease on the sliders and it feels and works good. So that went in my spare parts bag.
Adjusted the valves; it's a PITA trying to spin the pushrods with the tube retainers in the way (I have SS pushrods so I adjust the valves to zero lash just loose enough for the pushrod to spin easily). I did find that it's easy to spin the swivel foot and verified that when the swivel foot spins the pushrod also spins and when the valve is tightened just enough that the foot does not spin neither does the pushrod.
Continued work on the GW air boxes. Got the second adapter plate cut and used the wrong top plate as a guide and drilled bolt holes wrong. Waiting for the JB Weld to set and I'll redrill the holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I probably have another full day of work to finish installing the new air boxes.
Going up north to a wine & music festival tomorrow...hopefully I'll finish her next week so I can get a few drives in before WCR.
+Quote Post
914dave
post May 11 2017, 09:14 AM
Post #8827

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

Installed new roll bar trim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post May 11 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #8828

Member No.: 13,287

Applied for my insurance today. Then I can apply for the plates.

Its getting close enough for me to start thinking about these things.

I sent the pictures and gave $25,000 as a valuation, agent called and said the company has these cars valued at $30,000 - $40,000, So I may up the number after its actually on the road.

+Quote Post
6freak
post May 11 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #8829

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(anderssj @ May 10 2017, 05:35 PM) *

drove it to where I used to work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

you retire ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 11 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #8830

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Finally got around to re-install the broken outside mirrors.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

No fun driving without them ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post May 11 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #8831

Member No.: 15,915

Getting my car ready for WCR. Last year I had installed 5 gauges in my center console but I didn't like the "busy" look of that many gauges. A couple of months ago I had the vinyl sides of the console recovered and that gave my the impetus to do something about the gauge issue.

I decided to use a 964 oil pressure & temp combo gauge and an older 911 pressure & temp gauge. The 964 gauge was easy, it just required an appropriate 911 oil temp sender. The 914 oil pressure sender works directly for oil pressure. This is the upper combo gauge in my console. This gauge also has a number of indicator lights that will implement later show various fault conditions.

I wanted the lower gauge to display CHT and AFR values. First I disassembled the gauge, and scanned the gauge faces. I then used Photoshop to create new gauge faces to show Cylinder Head Temperature and on the second gauge Air/Fuel Ratio. My Megasquirt uses these sensors for its fuel calculations so I used Megasquirt's CAN Bus output to send these values to an Arduino computer that then transforms the CHT and AFR to voltage values that are output to the gauges.

Attached Image

Also, since you can't have too much information, I made a mount that replaces the ash tray so that I can have an Android tablet on my dash. In the display shown below it is using a product called Shadow Dash MS to communicate via Bluetooth to the Megasquirt ECU. The tablet can also be used as a navigation computer. The tablet is fully readable in normal sunlight driving conditions.
Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 11 2017, 09:16 PM
Post #8832

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ May 11 2017, 11:02 PM) *

Getting my car ready for WCR. Last year I had installed 5 gauges in my center console but I didn't like the "busy" look of that many gauges. A couple of months ago I had the vinyl sides of the console recovered and that gave my the impetus to do something about the gauge issue.

I decided to use a 964 oil pressure & temp combo gauge and an older 911 pressure & temp gauge. The 964 gauge was easy, it just required an appropriate 911 oil temp sender. The 914 oil pressure sender works directly for oil pressure. This is the upper combo gauge in my console. This gauge also has a number of indicator lights that will implement later show various fault conditions.

I wanted the lower gauge to display CHT and AFR values. First I disassembled the gauge, and scanned the gauge faces. I then used Photoshop to create new gauge faces to show Cylinder Head Temperature and on the second gauge Air/Fuel Ratio. My Megasquirt uses these sensors for its fuel calculations so I used Megasquirt's CAN Bus output to send these values to an Arduino computer that then transforms the CHT and AFR to voltage values that are output to the gauges.

Also, since you can't have too much information, I made a mount that replaces the ash tray so that I can have an Android tablet on my dash. In the display shown below it is using a product called Shadow Dash MS to communicate via Bluetooth to the Megasquirt ECU. The tablet can also be used as a navigation computer. The tablet is fully readable in normal sunlight driving conditions.

that might be the coolest techie mods/upgrades for 914's yet! watch out when you display such cool mad skills, you may end up in a business creating such things for others that like but dont have the same ability to create ourselves- its happened before-
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
what is it you do may i ask? automotive computer engineer?
+Quote Post
Dtjaden
post May 11 2017, 10:31 PM
Post #8833

Member No.: 15,915

QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 11 2017, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Dtjaden @ May 11 2017, 11:02 PM) *

that might be the coolest techie mods/upgrades for 914's yet! watch out when you display such cool mad skills, you may end up in a business creating such things for others that like but dont have the same ability to create ourselves- its happened before-
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
what is it you do may i ask? automotive computer engineer?

Semi-retired from various high tech positions. Software development, engineering management for electro-mechanical and laser optical devices.
+Quote Post
My 914
post May 12 2017, 04:23 AM
Post #8834

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928

Would love to see a picture of the whole interior if you have one available.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 12 2017, 12:45 PM
Post #8835

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Got it a new stablemate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Garland
post May 12 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #8836

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Removed these from the fuse panel

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 12 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #8837

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Wired up the Tow Lights for the WCR trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #8838

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Back working on the BB's clutch project.

Gave the pedal area of the floor a fresh coat of flat black after spraying the primer spray a few days ago.

Changed out the bushing in the modified pedal assembly to accept the 5/16" dia pin on the new clevis that threads into the Willwood M/C's rod.

Partially installed the pedal assembly - enough to get the steel plate to sandwich between the floor board and the brake M/C ... what a pain in the ass that was with no help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

... and back underneath to tighten things up

Attached Image

I highly recommend having a helper ... would have made this a little more enjoyable and took a lot less time.

Next up, running the braided hydraulic hose through the tunnel back to where the slave cylinder will be mounted and mount the slave on the tranny ...
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post May 13 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #8839

Member No.: 17,273

Yesterday I completed the recreation of braided SS AN-12 line to mate to my new on-engine cooler. I have installed a T on a a stock 911 cooler and used one side for return cooled oil from the tank and, on the other side of the "T" I installed a valve at the low point in the oil line system to drain the tank and part of the sump when warranted. I safety-wired an additional safety plug to the valve body downstream of the valve just for mental ease.

I also cut off and welded on my muffler pipe to align perfectly with the rear valance. then I hammered on the 911 stock chrome tip. It looks and sounds great.

I remain hostage to my Weber guru who is replacing three butterflies and changing emulsions etc. to better address the particulars of my engine build. Unless he misses a third deadline (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) for the return of the carbs, I should hear this beast roar again next week sometime..... not holding my breath however.

Today, I will reinstall the break-in oil and check for leaks at all fittings. It would be hard to imagine a Porsche that doesn't leak somewhere / but I have heard tales.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post May 13 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #8840

Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rebuilding my rear brake calipers. Finally to a point where I can begin assembly today. Removing rust down to bare metal with vinegar soaking and wire brushes very tedious but effective. Paint turned out well.

Almost had them zinc plated locally for $80/pair but currently laid off from job. Thought I'd try paint first and see how well my intensive prep pays off in durability. When time comes for the front calipers I'll perhaps be more eager to send them to PMB or at least locally blasted and plated. At least I now know what it takes to do it myself.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 440 441 442 443 444 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 07:18 PM