Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 445 446 447 448 449 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
forrestkhaag
post May 28 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #8921

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

Today I completed the basic conversion process and drove the 3.0 up and down Pacific Coast Hwy. This, with unbelievable smooth acceleration with a cacophony of screaming sounds emanating from behind my behind even limited to 4K RPM for the first 500 miles.

At idle, it is fairly tame but if 1st gear is used with any force, invest in Goodyear stock. Other than tires, no smoke. None from the engine exhaust and a fantastic range of torque compared to my prior seated experiences in my two 914's of various displacements.

I have to thank Kieth914, Steve, Larmo63, and particularly Leamon who, today returned a call to me on his holiday Sunday and helped us pinpoint the issue down to one thin dime.

Literally. Short story is..... Kennedy Engineering specs on the ring gear, clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing were correct. My resurface of the 911SC flywheel that came with my 3.0 core was done correctly.

What was NOT done correctly was developing an understanding of the minute slight teeny weenie infinitesimal fraction of throw that an outta-whack worn out clutch fork ball cup bushing can make.

If that 35 cent piece is not right, your world will never be right.

Leamon called and suggested committing a federal crime to solve the issue.

After three ins and outs of the tranny in as many days, I was willing to go to jail for another fix.

After crying on his shoulder explaining what Keith914 and I have done in the last two days, Leamon suggested to shave the outer edge of one thin dime to fit inside of the shift fork ball cup holder thereby returning the forks throw to a range that would disengage the clutch.

After the conversion process, I didn't have a dime left but to save me again, Kieth did. And Steve, who dedicated his Sunday to my shop and our debace knew from his experience, what the range of motion on the fork should be to actually disengage the clutch - and it is a fraction of a fraction.

We plucked the tranny out yet again, and wrestled it to a table and committed the crime of destroying US currency - One Thin Dime. Once shaved to fit in the fork, the ball cup plastic absurd "busing" was reinserted. Steve observed the pedal flex in the cabin, while Kieth adjusted those ridiculous 11MM wrench nuts on the clutch cable. Once the tension was correct.........Viola! Gears.
All of them.

I fired up the beast and drove out of the shop for a very pensive run thru the gears and rpm range to 4K set to limit that on the MSD until I get some mile under the belt.

Then I took Steve to lunch at a high end restaurant in Orange County (Bob's Burgers) and he split for other less fun things...... Honey Do's.....

I towed the car home and disconnected it from the tow bar. I then had my lovely wife drive the tow vehicle an eighth of a mile home and I went for a drive. The difference is really something. These cars are made for a six. It now quells my interest in another 911. I have a 911 in sheep's clothing. The standard 914 badges stays.

They will figure it out off the line once this thing is properly broke in. Thanks for all the help along the way guys.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post May 28 2017, 07:49 PM
Post #8922

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nothing- no time, up for Monaco, and then the Indy 500...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 28 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #8923

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I had a brand new cup for you if you would have asked, Forrest. Glad all worked out.

914 World is the best world.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post May 28 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #8924

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

Congrats Forrest
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 28 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #8925

Advanced Member

I fiddled with getting my Scheel seats to glide in the tracks today. I also drilled out & ditched those pesky "safety" tabs that are hard to pry up while you try to slide a set of 914 seats out of their tracks. After a few ins and outs, the seats didn't want to cooperate and slide, so I decided to put washers in between the seat tracks and the really thick vinyl at the bottom of these seats.

Voila!! That was the trick!!! *shimming reference

Now they are as easy as a downtown hooker at midnight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 28 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #8926

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 28 2017, 06:34 PM) *
I have to thank Kieth914, Steve, Larmo63, and particularly Leamon who, today returned a call to me on his holiday Sunday and helped us pinpoint the issue down to one thin dime.

Literally. Short story is..... Kennedy Engineering specs on the ring gear, clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing were correct. My resurface of the 911SC flywheel that came with my 3.0 core was done correctly.

What was NOT done correctly was developing an understanding of the minute slight teeny weenie infinitesimal fraction of throw that an outta-whack worn out clutch fork ball cup bushing can make.

After three ins and outs of the tranny in as many days, I was willing to go to jail for another fix.

After crying on his shoulder explaining what Keith914 and I have done in the last two days, Leamon suggested to shave the outer edge of one thin dime to fit inside of the shift fork ball cup holder thereby returning the forks throw to a range that would disengage the clutch.

After the conversion process, I didn't have a dime left but to save me again, Kieth did. And Steve, who dedicated his Sunday to my shop and our debace knew from his experience, what the range of motion on the fork should be to actually disengage the clutch - and it is a fraction of a fraction.

We plucked the tranny out yet again, and wrestled it to a table and committed the crime of destroying US currency - One Thin Dime. Once shaved to fit in the fork, the ball cup plastic absurd "busing" was reinserted. Steve observed the pedal flex in the cabin, while Kieth adjusted those ridiculous 11MM wrench nuts on the clutch cable. Once the tension was correct.........Viola! Gears.
All of them.
Shimming the pivot bolt as I suggested in post 8911 would have provided the fix as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 28 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #8927

Advanced Member

"Shimming" is a popular topic tonight.....?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 28 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #8928

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ May 29 2017, 01:34 PM) *

Today I completed the basic conversion process and drove the 3.0 up and down Pacific Coast Hwy. This, with unbelievable smooth acceleration with a cacophony of screaming sounds emanating from behind my behind even limited to 4K RPM for the first 500 miles.

At idle, it is fairly tame but if 1st gear is used with any force, invest in Goodyear stock. Other than tires, no smoke. None from the engine exhaust and a fantastic range of torque compared to my prior seated experiences in my two 914's of various displacements.

All of them.

I fired up the beast and drove out of the shop for a very pensive run thru the gears and rpm range to 4K set to limit that on the MSD until I get some mile under the belt.

Then I took Steve to lunch at a high end restaurant in Orange County (Bob's Burgers) and he split for other less fun things...... Honey Do's.....

I towed the car home and disconnected it from the tow bar. I then had my lovely wife drive the tow vehicle an eighth of a mile home and I went for a drive. The difference is really something. These cars are made for a six. It now quells my interest in another 911. I have a 911 in sheep's clothing. The standard 914 badges stays.

They will figure it out off the line once this thing is properly broke in. Thanks for all the help along the way guys.

Epic so pleased for you,it is a sound you don't forget,3K up and you are off...very quickly to the next gear and repeat,repeat again,keep them on the boil and its all there,truck loads of fun.
Yes they should have carried on making more six cylinder cars but there was an issue of what they cost...that killed them.
The 911 is overrated ,been in some early ones and the interior is small and the bum wigglys everwhere, I find mine just squats down and eats corners no early 911 can do that.
Have you managed to get Lawrence in the car???.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 28 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #8929

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 28 2017, 08:15 PM) *

All of them.
Shimming the pivot bolt as I suggested in post 8911 would have provided the fix as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I suggested the same thing in his other thread. That was the first thing we checked today and it was already shimmed. We didn't want to add another shim or there wouldn't be enough threads for the ball. We then noticed the cup was worn out on the bottom. Leamon suggested putting a dime under the cup. Since we didn't have another cup, the dime worked perfectly. After getting the correct free play in the clutch cable all was well. It was fun working with Keith and Forrest. Lifting the trans in and out with multiple people also helps. Always awesome to see the maiden voyage of these six conversions. Glad I was able to be there!!
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 28 2017, 10:02 PM
Post #8930

914 Guru

All of them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Congratulations!! Glad I was able to be there to witness the maiden voyage!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 28 2017, 11:57 PM
Post #8931

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I hadn't heard the bolt was already shimmed. I have some extra good T/O arms, but looks like the dime bag did the trick. I'll have to remember that trick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Glad to hear it's finally on the road, Forrest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Question ... Did you guys use NEW schnoor washers on the CVs every time you reinstallted the tranny?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post May 29 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #8932

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Did some unmentionable experiments with the Brembos... they now fit 3 inch caliper ears on the struts.
Also pulled my seat covers for a good washing. Got inventive with some new foam from the local upholsterers - turned out pretty nice and just in time to sit in and watch F1!
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mlindner
post May 29 2017, 07:08 AM
Post #8933

Member No.: 13,770

New Elephant Racing Poly-Bronz bushing.....WOW, some really nice hardware. MarkAttached ImageAttached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 29 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #8934

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

After the conversion process, I didn't have a dime left but to save me again, Kieth did.
And Steve, who dedicated his Sunday to my shop and our debace knew from his experience, what the range of motion on the fork should be to actually disengage the clutch - and it is a fraction of a fraction.

All of them.

Thank God you had supervision, Gump. I was afraid you were going to say that you tried two nickels and still nothing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Seriously, congratulations are in order. Now you can attend WCR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post May 29 2017, 09:38 AM
Post #8935

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Took the 3.0 out for a romp on the back roads of eastern Wa with a few friends. What a great torquey motor.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 29 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #8936

914 Guru

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 28 2017, 07:13 PM) *

I fiddled with getting my Scheel seats to glide in the tracks today. I also drilled out & ditched those pesky "safety" tabs that are hard to pry up while you try to slide a set of 914 seats out of their tracks. After a few ins and outs, the seats didn't want to cooperate and slide, so I decided to put washers in between the seat tracks and the really thick vinyl at the bottom of these seats.

Voila!! That was the trick!!! *shimming reference

Now they are as easy as a downtown hooker at midnight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

Attached Image

Lookin good!!! I bought a single GTS Lemans seat a while back.. Same problem. I had to shim it or the springs caught on the cross rails. PIA.....
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 29 2017, 10:19 AM
Post #8937

914 Guru

QUOTE(mlindner @ May 29 2017, 06:08 AM) *

New Elephant Racing Poly-Bronz bushing.....WOW, some really nice hardware. MarkAttached ImageAttached Image

Curious is there a big difference on how it feels while driving?
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 29 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #8938

914 Guru

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 28 2017, 10:57 PM) *

I hadn't heard the bolt was already shimmed. I have some extra good T/O arms, but looks like the dime bag did the trick. I'll have to remember that trick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Glad to hear it's finally on the road, Forrest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Question ... Did you guys use NEW schnoor washers on the CVs every time you reinstallted the tranny?

Thanks Mark. We just noticed there was already a shim there when we took it apart yesterday. Yep good advice on the Schnoor washers. We just buttoned it up to get it drive-able. The rest is just cleanup and tweaking while he drives it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Looking good and sounds awesome!!
+Quote Post
mlindner
post May 29 2017, 04:53 PM
Post #8939

Member No.: 13,770

Steve, car has been apart for 30 years and not on the road yet...so lets say it a big difference in handling. But going together one nut/bolt at a time. Best, Mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 29 2017, 05:07 PM
Post #8940

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 445 446 447 448 449 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 05:00 AM