Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 449 450 451 452 453 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Alphaogre
post Jun 17 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #9001

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,487
Region Association: Southern California

Yea, I kind of stole it from the GT style 1/2 cage mount then changed the down-tube angles since I am so big and my seat is pretty much up against the firewall...
[/quote]
Is that your design and build or did you buy it?
[/quote]

I built it with some inspired design aspects that I have seen before from various track cars in the last couple years... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 17 2017, 06:00 PM
Post #9002

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jun 17 2017, 03:09 PM) *
Ying and Yang day,

After an eternity got the six onto its dolly and listened to Radio LeMans

Pedal box, loom, dashframe, upper column and front shifter just to go and the fun can begin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

In moving the 911 it has sprung a fuel leak near the pump, hopefully it's just the hoses again. Ethanol in modern fuel seems to just chew through the rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Investigate tomorrow....
What brand and style of fuel hose do you use? We've converted over to the SAE 30R9 hose here. Seems to be holding up pretty well.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 17 2017, 09:08 PM
Post #9003

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looked at the 914... drove the Spyder... temps going to mid to upper 110's in a couple days so doubt I'll be driving it for a while!!
+Quote Post
SixerJ
post Jun 18 2017, 05:34 AM
Post #9004

Member No.: 16,042
Region Association: England

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2017, 01:00 AM) *

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Jun 17 2017, 03:09 PM) *
Ying and Yang day,

After an eternity got the six onto its dolly and listened to Radio LeMans

Pedal box, loom, dashframe, upper column and front shifter just to go and the fun can begin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

In moving the 911 it has sprung a fuel leak near the pump, hopefully it's just the hoses again. Ethanol in modern fuel seems to just chew through the rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Investigate tomorrow....
What brand and style of fuel hose do you use? We've converted over to the SAE 30R9 hose here. Seems to be holding up pretty well.

As it's all very stock so have always used Wurth cloth covered hose, but clearly they just can't handle the high levels of ethanol we now have

As the pump is tucked away and not really visible I think I will switch to a double wall and hunt down some SAE or Euro equivalent as SAE stuff is thin on the ground here. Fingers crossed it's not the pump. Thanks for the tip
+Quote Post
daveandliz
post Jun 18 2017, 07:50 AM
Post #9005

Member No.: 14,861
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 17 2011, 09:07 PM) *

i just wanted to start a thread to see what you guys do day to day on your cars.

i'll start,

about a month ago, i pulled my engine and trans to put in a new clutch. had the flywheel lightened and resurfaced. but what i didnt know is that i had to shim the little ball that the clutch arm rides on, after a resurfacing. so guess what i did today?

yup, pulled the trans and put an extra washer under the ball. you have to goop up both washers to get it to seal because the threaded hole goes all the way thru to the inside of the trans. i also replaced the plastic cup that the ball rides in. the throwout bearing and its little plastic blocks were fine so i buttoned every thing back up. 5 hours total. i think this has been the cheapest repair yet on my car. $2.75 for the little plastic cup.

what did you do to your 914 today?

I cried a bit after some more pre-op.... Back inches of both floor pans (aft of the inner brace) are shot and the firewall around the clutch tube (and elsewhere) need patches as well. Am assessing the risk of major surgery versus a holistic approach.

Dave
+Quote Post
Porscheguy912
post Jun 18 2017, 12:38 PM
Post #9006

porscheguy912

Member No.: 17,236
Region Association: North East States

First Place in Porsche 914 category. Happy Father's Day.Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 18 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #9007

Member No.: 12,732

Don't remember that as a Porsche exclusive option back then... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
warpig
post Jun 18 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #9008

Member No.: 12,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Last time I was out at Cary's shop I broke in his newly upgraded blast cabinet with my engine tins. Then life got in the way and I haven't worked on my car since. This weekend the rain stopped so I cleaned all the dust off and shot it all with some self etching primer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image Attached Image
Then the engine tins and some other bits got a good dose of Sunburst Yellow. The valve covers and brake dust shields etc got a squirt of Regal Red. (note to self. your spray technique needs work) A little drippy and some may need sanding down and a touch up, but it is not going to rust now!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Then I got down to biz stripping all the crusty covers off the engine harness in anticipation of a dip in the sonic cleaner for inspection and repair of any trouble I find. (I hope 914 Rubber makes the boots to replace the ones I just sacrificed) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image
I think Cary has a P-car function next weekend so I won't get to actually work on my car. But I can work on the CV's and have them ready to go too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Jun 18 2017, 06:33 PM
Post #9009

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(warpig @ Jun 18 2017, 05:28 PM) *

Last time I was out at Cary's shop I broke in his newly upgraded blast cabinet with my engine tins. Then life got in the way and I haven't worked on my car since. This weekend the rain stopped so I cleaned all the dust off and shot it all with some self etching primer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Then the engine tins and some other bits got a good dose of Sunburst Yellow. The valve covers and brake dust shields etc got a squirt of Regal Red. (note to self. your spray technique needs work) A little drippy and some may need sanding down and a touch up, but it is not going to rust now!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Then I got down to biz stripping all the crusty covers off the engine harness in anticipation of a dip in the sonic cleaner for inspection and repair of any trouble I find. (I hope 914 Rubber makes the boots to replace the ones I just sacrificed) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Attached Image
I think Cary has a P-car function next weekend so I won't get to actually work on my car. But I can work on the CV's and have them ready to go too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I didn't hear from you on Friday so I assumed they were making you work 6 days. They look great ................
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jun 18 2017, 09:43 PM
Post #9010

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

As a licensed landscape architect in multiple states, I wholly approve of the garden art pieces and subtle placement in the landscape expression of your rear courtyard.
Particularly the wind chimes with a surreal resemblance to, dare I say,... car parts..

Happy Father's Day to all who qualify.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
www.fkhdesign.com
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jun 18 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #9011

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

And back to what did you do to the 914 today......

I discovered my robust firewall bushing milled out of SS for my shift rod was a little too thick and would not allow full free movement of the shift rod front and rearward. this resulted in third gear popping out of gear.

Solution was to take one half inch out of the shift rod maintaining the precise alignment of the two cone screw holes. then my pal, Keith914 came over to the shop to help me get the gears aligned with the shifter.

End result: From shifter arm bushing to side shift console bushing and everything in between - all brass, bronze or stainless steel. No slop and the action shifts like a contemporary 993 in terms of precise throws.

The 901 still has a fault code in first gear........... That insidious crunchy sound of eating a saucer of bb's (or grape nuts) is still there if I push the torque / but if I don't push it - or use 2nd for take off, everything is good to go.... and go fast.

The day before, I drained the break in oil from the tank, lines, and sump and filter. I measured what came out to be precise as to what to put back in.

The 6 took 14 qts on initial fill.

A total of 10.5 quarts came out. The front oil circuit thru the Mocal was obviously trapped.

The oil was clean and without anyindication of contamination of any sort / no filings on the magnetic sump plug and no fine screen filtered particles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I put 10.5 quarts of fresh oil back in. I adjusted the MSD Digital up another 500 RPM's on the Rev Limiter (to 4500) / And after another 500 miles I will do the same thing and go to 6500. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 19 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #9012

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Put my lower front spoiler on makes a huge difference covering up the torsion bars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I like. It's amazing how small changes can really make compliments to a car.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 19 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #9013

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I'm fibbing here a little, didn't do anything today to the 914, too hot in the garage so I spent tonight studying for my UL508 cert...

Made these yesterday.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 19 2017, 11:32 PM
Post #9014

914 Freak!

QUOTE(cali914 @ Jun 19 2017, 08:49 AM) *

Put my lower front spoiler on makes a huge difference covering up the torsion bars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I like. It's amazing how small changes can really make compliments to a car.

No front turn signals?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 20 2017, 12:07 AM
Post #9015

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 19 2017, 10:30 PM) *
I'm fibbing here a little, didn't do anything today to the 914, too hot in the garage so I spent tonight studying for my UL508 cert...

Made these yesterday.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Nice, Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

UL508 ... you do energy mgt?
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 20 2017, 12:50 PM
Post #9016

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(cali914 @ Jun 19 2017, 11:49 AM) *

Put my lower front spoiler on makes a huge difference covering up the torsion bars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) I like. It's amazing how small changes can really make compliments to a car.Attached Image

Love that front hood. Did you make it yourself, or buy it somewhere? Is that real carbon fiber or a wrap?
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 20 2017, 01:38 PM
Post #9017

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

Had new tires put on the 914 2056. They told me they wouldn't put my 2010 tires on because they were too old. But they did not tell me that till the car was stripped of its rubber and on the hoist.

Drove part way home and the engine died. I am chasing ignition gremlins in the 914 and the 911 now.

After a couple hours the tow truck came...At least Hagerty paid the bill.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 20 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #9018

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Installed Wevo 915 shifter. Hopefully it will solve the hitting reverse issue when shifting from 5th to 4th.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 20 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #9019

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

Went for a Ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 20 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #9020

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Calvinator2016 @ Jun 20 2017, 09:24 PM) *

Went for a Ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Best response in days!
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 449 450 451 452 453 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:19 AM