Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> V8 conversion question
NYRangers
post Aug 19 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,555

Hi all. New member, first post. I'm just about ready to go forward with a V8 conversion. I've lurked for awhile here and seen a lot of very helpful information scattered among different posts. I've been following Andyrew's V8 thread, and I've got some other ones bookmarked (radiator hose routing, etc).

Has anyone compiled a "walkthrough" (for lack of a better word) that has the V8 conversion process laid out as a series of steps, or can anyone suggest a website/publication that would be helpful for me to read through before jumping in? I think I've got the necessary mechanical aptitude to do this project (done engine swaps before on other vehicles), but I'd like to get a big picture view of the project.

Anyway, thanks for any advice/information you can give, and let me know if I am being too vague, or asking the wrong kind of question.

BTW, I was surprised to see how many Los Osos people contributed here. I was just in Los Osos this past weekend and saw a sweet yellow 914 driving down Willow Dr. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
Allan
post Aug 19 2004, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Dude, that was not me!! But if you want someone who can turn a wrench and you're back on the central coast, give me a PM. More than happy to find a reason to go there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
NYRangers
post Aug 19 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #3

Sounds good! I'll probably be doing the work in San Diego, though... Saw from your profile you're a Bako native. I spent some time there myself. You know what they say about Morro Bay/Pismo, right? AKA West Bakersfield (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post Aug 19 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Welcome to the club NY, You may want to post at least your first name in your signature so people know what to call you. There is a guy down in SD that has a V8 car named Sean. He bought one already converted but was going to build one himself also and has all the parts to do so. I am working on one also and I am north of you in Orange County. You are more than welcome to come by and visit and I will show you everything I have done and what all is involved in building one of these cars with a V8. PM me if you want to come up. There is a PCA meeting this Saturday morning at the Krispy Kreme donuts in Orange and I will be there but not in my car yet. It still has a few things left to do on it to get it on the road.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 19 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

It wasn't me. My running one is only mostly yellow, and I didn't drive it this weekend, and I don't even know where willow drive is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) As far as the V8 conversion goes, I don't know that much about how to do it as I haven't yet. I'm just working on things I know need doing, in no particular order. Someday I won't have anything left to do and I'll be done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
NYRangers
post Aug 19 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #6

Thanks Scott. Do you guys get together every Saturday? I'm on call this week (IT nerd), so I can't make it this weekend, but I'd really like to come by and check out some other conversions, and ask questions.

Will you be around some point next weekend? If so, I'll PM you and maybe we can set something up.

Royce--I guess it wasn't you then! Willow Drive is a road right off of LOVR, just east of S. Bay Blvd.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 19 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Welcome, lots of great info here. Ask anything you want. That's what this place is for.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
skline
post Aug 19 2004, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Born to Drive

The Krispy Kreme meet is every 3rd Saturday at the Block in Orange. This Saturday is the 3rd Saturday. As for next weekend, you can come over anytime after about 10 on Saturday or anytime on Sunday. I may even be working on mine to get it a little closer to road time. The parts I ordered will be here on Saturday so I will be able to finish up the plumbing. I do IT support also and know what its like to be on call. I am working on a proposal for a new client presentation this week and need to finish it up before Monday. The presentation is Tuesday and it has to be perfect. If you are into IT, wait till you see the setup I have here in my garage. I support about 14 client offices from my workstation in my garage. Just let me know when you want to come up. Here is a picture of my server rack in my garage.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Aug 19 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,348

I see a linksys wireless router, a nice Cisco router, and old Compaq proliant, a Gateway (3200?), Dell 4u... etc, etc

Looks SOOO much like my basement. All you seem to be missing is the UltraSparcs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
NYRangers
post Aug 19 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #10

LOL Verruckt, I was doing the EXACT same thing. I was going to go with Gateway 4200, and I thought I saw a 3Com switch on top of the rack -- 1100/3300 maybe? The OS looks like Win2K maybe?

Scott--I'll definitely PM you at some point. We can talk conversion and complain about lusers! Good luck with your presentation. I work in house for a biggish law firm in SD, so luckily my presentations are typically only "Hey boss, I think we should do this, like this. Will you pay for my plane tickets?"

Thanks everyone for the responses! I'm really getting excited about this project. I've wanted to do a 914 conversion for awhile now. Originally I was thinking about a Buick 3800, but I think the V8 will be more fun...
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 19 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #11

neo life

Member No.: 159

Jeff,
Welcome! Working IT in the Bay Area is not what it used to be. PM me your email address and I'll let you know when the next Bay Area Porsche V8 meet will be. It's great to compare rides. There are ~ 30 in the Bay Area and we've had 13 Porsche V8s show. There are a few nice cars getting finished...
Felix
+Quote Post
skline
post Aug 19 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #12

Born to Drive

Well, you guys are close, there are 4 servers and one old workstation in that rack. The linksys is only an access point, not a router. Down from that is a Sonicwall Pro Firewall, then a Cisco router, then the Proliant web server, then the old Gateway POS computer I use for storage, then the Poweredge server, then another 1U generic server and then a 4U generic server and then the BU Power supply. There is a 24 port 3com on the top but I dont need it. I use a Dell Powerconnect switch which is also inside the rack. As for OS, it is 2003 Standard server loaded on the Dell which is what you see on the monitor. The web server is loaded with 2003 also and the others are 2k server. The Gateway is just XP Pro. I have a Mac too but its in the house running OSX latest release. My workstation I use to control everything is a dual 2.4 GHz Xeon Dell Precision workstation. I bought 2 of them the first of the year to upgrade the most used machines. Just a few toys.
+Quote Post
NYRangers
post Aug 20 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Thanks again for the responses. Among people who've done a V8 conversion (or who just have opinions!) is there any consensus as to going with a prefabbed/preassembled conversion kit like from RH, or gathering the pieces you need on your own?

I think I'm most concerned with the adapter plate and flywheel, and the motor/tranny mounts.

I'm sure the RH kit is top notch, but I am working on sort of a budget, and $1800 seems a little high for me if it's possible to assemble my own "kit" from other bits. What do you think?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 20 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

is there any consensus as to going with a prefabbed/preassembled conversion kit

if you act quickly, there is a killer deal in the classifieds section for some V8 conversion parts.....

flywheel=custom
adaptor plate=custom
throw out bearing=custom
engine mounts=custom
harmonic balancer=custom
water pump and brackets=custom

so that means for those items, you'll have to buy from Renegade or Kenneday (1st 3 items) or one of the other V8 conversion companies...or if lucky, find them used...still risky depending on how well used and abused

If you do have to buy new and cannot find used parts, I'd buy the most parts you can from one of the conversion companies such as Renegade, buying from them goes a long way when it comes to getting help and advice in the future on the install.....

the cooling system is the only part of the conversion that one can use off the shelf or even junk yard parts, but it'll be hit'n'miss on how well it performs....most people recommend biting the bullet and getting a "proven", new radiator from RH...if I was doing a V8, I'd go that route, but my V6 conversion will not need the same amout of cooling so I can use a standard off the shelf radiator (and cross my fingers it works)
+Quote Post
NYRangers
post Aug 20 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #15

Thanks Mike for the information. I checked out that ad, and it looks like there is a good chunk of the parts I need in there. It looked like there was already interest from other members on it though. I'll act quicker next time...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 10:49 AM