Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Results from changing my tranny oil to SWEPCO 201, Comments on transmission oil.
'73-914kid
post Dec 20 2011, 06:32 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

And all this after spendning $50 on a gallon of swepco. perfect.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 20 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 20 2011, 04:32 PM) *

Just use it.

I've torn down my trans several times over the years (rebuilt in around 1998) for modification. Everything looks great after years of abuse.....and it's still going strong with Swepco. It's been pushing over 200hp/ft/lbs thru it since 2000 with fat stickey tiars.....now over 300hp/ft/lbs.....with fatter stickies. This crapping on Swepco comes up every few years.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 20 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #23

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(earossi @ Dec 20 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I agree with Casto. I have a 993 and have found that using a trans oil with friction moifiers in it does not work well with Porsche synchros. Many 993 folks have found that an oil like Redline 75W90 N.S. which is a synthetic that does not contain any friction modifiers works best. Many transmission guys working on Porsches will guide you away from Swepco for that reason. So, suggest that you look for an oil without any friction modifiers in the formula.

You haven't got "Porsche snycros" in your 993.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 20 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #24

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 20 2011, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE('73-914kid @ Dec 20 2011, 04:32 PM) *

Just use it.

I've torn down my trans several times over the years (rebuilt in around 1998) for modification. Everything looks great after years of abuse.....and it's still going strong with Swepco. It's been pushing over 200hp/ft/lbs thru it since 2000 with fat stickey tiars.....now over 300hp/ft/lbs.....with fatter stickies. This crapping on Swepco comes up every few years.

Swepco is great for boxes that are being torn down and RnRed often.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 20 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #25

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 20 2011, 06:51 PM) *

Humm.... funny, I never had to replace a part in it except to change gear ratios and to install an LSD. I learned sumthin' new.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 20 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #26

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I tried swepco once and I wasn't real impressed. I use cheap o gear oil. Never had an issue.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 21 2011, 05:50 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 20 2011, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 20 2011, 06:51 PM) *

Humm.... funny, I never had to replace a part in it except to change gear ratios and to install an LSD. I learned sumthin' new.

The detergent quality on Swepco causes yoru box to be very clean inside, no? Is it magic and it causes dirt and particles to dissolve into the ether? No, it is that it keeps such things suspended in solution. Regular dino oil allows crap to fall to the bottom of the case thus keeping it out of your gears and bearings. If you open and clean your case often, then this becomes less of a problem as you clean and change the Swepco. If you use Swepco, you need to be replacing it sooner rather than later. The recommendations for dino oil are 10Kmi, I would change Swepco far sooner.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 21 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #28

Irrelevant old fart

Manny's the time I reused the oil I had drained out.....after all. it's 50 bucks a gallon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , a trans is not an engine, and MY usage was at most 300 miles a season after I took it off the street....hard miles but... Contamination consisted of metallic particles stuck the the magnetic drain plug,
Over the years I ran the stuff I bought maybe 3 gallons of Swepco.
I spent a hell of a lot more on engine oil......the best I could find.....I suppose that was an error also?
You do your thing, Doc, I did mine......that meant taking care of my equipment as best I could which worked out pretty damn well.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 21 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #29

Your data is far from generalizable. I don't care what you do, but your scenario is not analogous to the majority of people you are trying to recommend swepco to.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 21 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #30

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 21 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Your data is far from generalizable. I don't care what you do, but your scenario is not analogous to the majority of people you are trying to recommend swepco to.

AH....now I see... the big frog discounts any experience except his own. My 14 years of using the same trans on & off the street is worthless in your opinion. This is not about trans lube at all, but about egos.
I yield to your self importance.
+Quote Post
mikea100
post Dec 21 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 11,182
Region Association: North East States

I used Mobil 1 75W/90 in 944 and it was very smooth. It's readily available in your FLAPS.

Excerpt from my favorite 944 site http://www.clarks-garage.com/
"The factory service manual calls for the transmission fluid to be changed every 60,000 miles. There's always been a lot of discussion about what type of transaxle fluid to use in the 944 transaxle. The factory shop manual calls for hypoid transmission oil SAE 75 W 90 to API Class GL5 or MIL-L 2105 B, or SAE 80 to API Class GL or MIL-L 2105. What does all that mean? I don' t have a clue.

Better, but more expensive alternatives to the standard transmission oil (IMHO) are Redline Synthetic MTL, Swepco 201, or Mobil 1 75W/90 gear oil. There was some discussion several years ago with regards to Mobil 1 gear oil attacking bronze synchros. However, there's never been anything to my knowledge to support that. Regardless of which of these three you choose, you'll probably notice a marked improvement in transmission shifting and noise, especially when the transaxle is cold."
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 21 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #32

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 21 2011, 08:52 AM) *

AH....now I see... the big frog discounts any experience except his own. My 14 years of using the same trans on & off the street is worthless in your opinion. This is not about trans lube at all, but about egos.

JP, I will gladly sell you a gently used gallon of swepco for $20 + shipping - less than 200 miles of use. I know how my car shifted before I put it in, and it isn't the oil for me. I am going to drain it anyway. I may as well put it back in the bottle it came from a few weeks ago and let it go to someone who values it. Just PM me.
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Dec 22 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #33

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 20 2011, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(earossi @ Dec 20 2011, 03:34 PM) *

I agree with Casto. I have a 993 and have found that using a trans oil with friction moifiers in it does not work well with Porsche synchros. Many 993 folks have found that an oil like Redline 75W90 N.S. which is a synthetic that does not contain any friction modifiers works best. Many transmission guys working on Porsches will guide you away from Swepco for that reason. So, suggest that you look for an oil without any friction modifiers in the formula.

You haven't got "Porsche snycros" in your 993.

I think that is a good point to note. While this is 914world and we generally talk about the 901 series transmissions (such as in the 914 and older 911s), it should be noted that I think the 901, 915 and 930 were the last of the Porsche transmissions to use the classic "Porsche" synchro design. Later transmissions such as the G50 and beyond (actually pretty much any new manual transmission these days regardless of manufacture) uses the newer and simpler "Borg Warner" design. Part of this is also why people should not expect older Porsche transmission to shift like those in their econobox Honda or Toyota! In generally those who are new to older cars have been spoiled by modern transmission design. Not that you can't get a 901/915 to shift nicely, you can, but it will never be as nice as newer designs. Anyhow, I digress...

So.... shift quality characteristics are a combo of a specific transmission fluid AND the design of the transmission AND your personal driving/shifting style (I.e. try to speed shift and you will have more problems and do more damage). So a given fluid may work well in your 914, but not in your later/newer 911, or vise versa.

Richard
+Quote Post
dlestep
post Dec 22 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #34

I am smilin'...

Member No.: 8,573

...in the late '80s and early '90s, Porsche owners with the "flat face" syncros
were having problems with some new transmission oils emerging, at that time; like Royal Purple,
for example, tested their oils on Porsche transmissions and found that the boundary
layer of their oil was too robust and caused difficulties when engaging gears.
The newer tapered BW types did not have a boundary layer problem.
If one were to talk to Royal Purple engineering, they would have suggested the
use of their RP ATF in the manual transmissions...some did, some didn't.
I for one, did not, even with their documented failure mode tests reports.
Use manufacturer's suggested lubricant, or its' equivalent specification and you
won't need to worry.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 22 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #35

Irrelevant old fart

Many moons ago I went thru many T-10s, Muncies, & Saginaws ( a real POS) so I was familiar with BW syncros. The first time I got into a Porsche trans (901) , I sez to myself "WTF is this lash up". When I figured out how the syncros worked I sez "this is not a better idea" and I understood why the "balkyness" of the shifting and the requirement that the "pause" between the shifts was necessary. Couple that with the Rube Goldberg shift linkage and careful treatment is necessary. In 1988 Porsche started using the BW syncros.....that took em' long enuff to figure out....the NIH syndrome. In my 40 odd years of experience with manual shifting cars, the only time I gave any thought to trans oil was with the 901/915 and their effed up syncros.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 22 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 21 2011, 11:52 AM) *

Why are you such a dick? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Big Frog?

Do you deny that your use is far from the usual?
+Quote Post
Rockaria
post Dec 22 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #37

ZippidyDoDah...

Member No.: 645

I use Swepco in all of my 911/914 tranys. That is, up until my 73 914. It had sat for 5 years and the trany leaked. I was not about to put the expensive swepco in it while I got it back into running condition. I just put in the cheap stuff I use on my truck.

Well, I got the 73 to run and I noticed that it shifts great. Very smooth and nice. I have driven it almost a year now and I can honestly say I am impressed with the cheap dino fliud.

Whoda thunk it.. Oh wait you guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now if I can only get the engine to run smooth.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 22 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #38

Irrelevant old fart

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 22 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Why are you such a dick? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Big Frog?

Do you deny that your use is far from the usual?

I did the conversion (and trans) in 1998 and took the car off the road in around 2005 so it's about 50-50 but.... my maintenance is far from the 914 usual it seems.

When anything started to act unusual I fixed it. The trans has required none of these steps past the "usual" (initial) sorting out the linkage bits....it seems many folks don't even do that.

As I've wrote before, I give credit to the trans builder for this success and it has
lived far beyond my expectations. All I did was treat it as gently as possible...under the circumstances..... which are well beyond your experience, I believe & keep it full of Swepco.......of course you discount all this and start name calling, Doc. I am not a trans expert. The trans is just another link in the chain and has to be dealt with like any other sub-system of a car.....so I learned to deal with it.

I'll have to go back and look at all this thread but I think my only "recommendation" was "just use it" to someone that already had some Swepco. The rest was recounting my experiences with the stuff and letting folks make their own judgments.

Bigkensteel.....I'll pass, I reused only my own oil if the urge strikes and I no longer have a 914. I just come here to be a dick.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 22 2011, 01:46 PM
Post #39

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 22 2011, 11:28 AM) *
I no longer have a 914. I just come here to be a dick.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post Dec 22 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #40

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 22 2011, 12:04 PM) *

In 1988 Porsche started using the BW syncros.....that took em' long enuff to figure out....the NIH syndrome.

Not sure when the BW design showed up on the scene. I know Porsche has a bit of a problem at times with NIH syndrome (anyone looked at their attempt to design their own caliper brake just so they wouldn't have to license a design from someone else? It had a caliper in the middle with a ring like rotor). Anyhow, I think Porsche apparently made a ton of money on licensing deals for their design until BW came up with a better mousetrap.

Richard
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:45 PM