Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Results from changing my tranny oil to SWEPCO 201, Comments on transmission oil.
bryanf
post Dec 22 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,435

FWIW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I have about 325k miles on my tranny and it is just starting to need a brief pause in the 1-2 and 3-2 shifts. Cheap FLAPS dino oil changed 3x times.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 22 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #42

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

Let re-phrase that, the 911s G-50 with BW syncros came out in 1988. Dunno bout anything else.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Oct 21 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Not sure if my problem is related to SWEPCO or not. Just before I changed out to a cable system from www.cableshift.com, I changed to SWEPCO and didn't notice any real change in performance, but once I went to the cable system I've occasionally not been able to get it in gear (and this even when I've disconnected the cable shift from the console in its entirety. I can eventually get it to go into a gear with channel locks and muscle and then things go back to being ok until the next occasion it jams up.
I wonder if this could be attributed to the SWEPCO?
I suppose it'd be easy enough to experiment and change out to dino to see if this solves the problem...
I'm currently unable to shift into reverse (and remember this is with the cable shift DISCONNECTED-very important to note it's not the cable shifter or a matter of adjustment), this is actually inside the transaxle.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2020, 07:16 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

To a lot of people oil is like politics and religion. A lot of of racers and professional shops use swepco. It’s supposed to reduce wear and make the components last longer. So if your a racer it will make your trans last longer, which long term lowers your costs to race. For street cars, comfort might be more important to you. From my experience with my 915 gear box, swepco is harder to shift than standard Dino oil. This was really noticeable switching from swepco to Kendall or Brad pen oil. I doubt this is your problem. Using oil other then Swepco, will just make it easier to shift.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Oct 22 2020, 07:33 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 18,984
Region Association: None

Try Walmart brand shifts like butter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Oct 22 2020, 09:28 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 21,596

After many years of street and track 911 experience and attempts to improve transmission shifting by use of different brand oils, including Swepco, I place swept alleged improvements in the category of mythology. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 22 2020, 11:33 AM
Post #47

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

You learn something new everyday. Going to get that Swepco out and replace and it as it sounds like it may improve things. This has been a helpful thread, sure glad it was resurrected after 9 years. When the timing is right I will be putting my 915 trans in and will go with what has been recommended here.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 22 2020, 11:45 AM
Post #48

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I quit using 201 long ago, tranny never felt smooth, FLAPS cheap dino gear oil does a better job in our boxes.
I still swear by 101 grease.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2020, 11:47 AM
Post #49

914 Guru

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 22 2020, 10:33 AM) *

You learn something new everyday. Going to get that Swepco out and replace and it as it sounds like it may improve things. This has been a helpful thread, sure glad it was resurrected after 9 years. When the timing is right I will be putting my 915 trans in and will go with what has been recommended here.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)

I have swepco in my 915 trans now, since that is what PMS installed. I will eventually swap it out for Kendall, which can be purchased with LSD additive from Pelican. Andy from Callas Rennsport recommended Brad Penn with LSD additive, but I didn't notice any difference from the Kendall.
Lots of threads on Pelican on Swepco, similar to this thread. That's how I found out about Kendall, which does seem to shift better/smoother for me and my 915 trans.
+Quote Post
jfort
post Oct 22 2020, 11:59 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There's a similar discussion on RennList 997 site. The consensus was that a change to Swepco in those cars made a noticeable improvement. I changed to Swepco and I agree. But that's a 2007 tranny opposed to 1970.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2020, 12:24 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

QUOTE(jfort @ Oct 22 2020, 10:59 AM) *

There's a similar discussion on RennList 997 site. The consensus was that a change to Swepco in those cars made a noticeable improvement. I changed to Swepco and I agree. But that's a 2007 tranny opposed to 1970.

In 1987 Porsche went from Porsche synchro technology in the 911 to a Borg Warner design (G50). Huge improvement over the 901/914/915 trans. That's the reason why 1987 911's are worth allot more, than there predecessors.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 22 2020, 12:46 PM
Post #52

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

JP was a funny guy.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 22 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #53

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

@T H O M A S always recommended the cheeeeep gear oil from AutoZone. I think the brand was 'Global' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Oct 22 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 22 2020, 01:09 PM) *

@T H O M A S always recommended the cheeeeep gear oil from AutoZone. I think the brand was 'Global' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

The 901/914 trans already shifts easier compared to a 915 trans. I agree with Dr. Evil, Thomas and others on this thread. I wouldn't waste money on gear oil for a 914 trans. FLAPS non synthetic 90 weight gear oil is all you need.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Oct 22 2020, 06:00 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(914Toy @ Oct 22 2020, 08:28 AM) *

After many years of street and track 911 experience and attempts to improve transmission shifting by use of different brand oils, including Swepco, I place swept alleged improvements in the category of mythology. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Seeing this old thread with Doc gave me a chuckle with the old posts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) and I'll add this one as worthy a classic therin and above.

Carry on.

+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 22 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #56

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I miss John (Cap'n Krusty). I miss JP. I'm surprised Ron (Slits) didn't post in this thread. I miss him too.

That's interesting. Maybe I'll put the rest of that Swepco I didn't use in the Boxster and try it. The 901 didn't seem to like it. I use the cheap stuff in my 914/901 transaxle.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 23 2020, 01:42 AM
Post #57

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Gint @ Oct 22 2020, 06:31 PM) *
I miss John (Cap'n Krusty). I miss JP. I'm surprised Ron (Slits) didn't post in this thread. I miss him too.

That's interesting. Maybe I'll put the rest of that Swepco I didn't use in the Boxster and try it. The 901 didn't seem to like it. I use the cheap stuff in my 914/901 transaxle.
Let us know how that works out, Mike. I'll probably change the transxale fluid in the Cayman when I do the next oil change - just because I wasn't privy to the PO's maintenance records (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Oct 23 2020, 02:10 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I started this thread and I can confirm SWEPCO is a bad idea in vintage transmissions. Go with the old factory spec non synthetic 90wt hypoid gear oil. It's hard to find. It will be the cheapest on the shelf, but it works. The new stuff is too slick for the syncros to work properly. Once you put SWEPCO in it will be contaminated. It will take several oil changes to get it cleaned out.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Oct 23 2020, 07:10 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Oct 23 2020, 04:10 AM) *

I started this thread and I can confirm SWEPCO is a bad idea in vintage transmissions. Go with the old factory spec non synthetic 90wt hypoid gear oil. It's hard to find. It will be the cheapest on the shelf, but it works. The new stuff is too slick for the syncros to work properly. Once you put SWEPCO in it will be contaminated. It will take several oil changes to get it cleaned out.

Just a straight 90? I was told dino 80w90 GL-5.
But experience speaks louder.

Addendum-I looked in the manual and it does indeed stipulate 90
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:55 PM