Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building a Rotisserie
McMark
post Dec 21 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Tomorrow I start cutting metal and building the rotisserie I should have had a long time ago. I'm actually quite eager to get going on this project, more than I anticipated. Not only because I've wanted a rotisserie for a long time, but also because once it's finished the 914 that's sitting on the Celette bench will go on the rotisserie. Then I can put a 66 912 project up on the bench and start building my first set of Celette fixtures. Even though they'll be for a 912, the techniques I learn will make the 914 fixtures even better.

I'll be posting pictures of my progress tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to share. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 21 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496

COOL! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Dec 21 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #3

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

There is no way I could have stripped, repaired and completed other big jobs without a rotisserie. It is the best tool out there for a full restoration, IMHO. Good luck with the project -- I'm sure it will make mine look like it was built out of Lincoln Logs and bubble gum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Geoff
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 22 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 21 2011, 06:58 PM) *

Tomorrow I start cutting metal and building the rotisserie I should have had a long time ago. I'm actually quite eager to get going on this project, more than I anticipated. Not only because I've wanted a rotisserie for a long time, but also because once it's finished the 914 that's sitting on the Celette bench will go on the rotisserie. Then I can put a 66 912 project up on the bench and start building my first set of Celette fixtures. Even though they'll be for a 912, the techniques I learn will make the 914 fixtures even better.

I'll be posting pictures of my progress tomorrow, but I couldn't wait to share. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

I still don't understand how the Celette bench works. If you make your own fixtures, how will you know how accurate they are? Or are they just tools to attache to the car? Do you stretch and bend the body and then measure it with a tape, lazer, etc. till meets specs.? It'll be interesting to see the pics.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 22 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

The actual Celette bench is just a big-ass cart. It has a regular grid of holes in the top and a machined smooth surface on top. The fixtures for different cars are bolted to the bench via the holes.

To use the bench, you lift the chassis up and attach a couple fixtures to hold it in place. On a perfectly straight car, all the fixtures will bolt up to the body and line up with their appropriate holes on the bench. On bent cars, the fixtures won't line up.

To straighten a car you bolt up the fixtures which are correct, and then push/pull the body using whatever means necessary to move the mis-aligned fixtures into place. This is the hard part because the 'operator' must understand how the damage occurred, and how to reverse it correctly. It is absolutely possible, and frighteningly easy, to bend a chassis in the wrong way and make things worse. Definitely one of those situations where 'measure twice, bend once' is SOOOOO important.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.originalcustoms.com-419-1324535327.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 22 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

So it basically acts as kind of a factory jig?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 22 2011, 12:33 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Here he is ladies and gentlemen. The man his ownself.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 22 2011, 12:51 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

So it basically acts as kind of a factory jig?

That's totally right. It's mentioned by name in the factory manuals.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 22 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

You rock Mark!
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 22 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #10

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Just make sure you buy enough 2x4s before you start!

You don't want to run out. I'd also suggest priming and painting it so it won't rot.

John
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 22 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #11

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

My advice is to use at least 5" steel caster wheels with locks.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 22 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #12

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Dec 22 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Just make sure you buy enough 2x4s before you start!

You don't want to run out. I'd also suggest priming and painting it so it won't rot.

John

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

...and lots of drywall screws!
+Quote Post
9fourteen
post Dec 22 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,239
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This may be a dumb question but how do you get the 914 high enough to bolt it onto the rotisserie? Most of the rotisserie redesigns I have seen would require the 914 to be 3 to 4 ft off the ground to bolt it on.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 22 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(9fourteen @ Dec 22 2011, 04:29 PM) *

This may be a dumb question but how do you get the 914 high enough to bolt it onto the rotisserie? Most of the rotisserie redesigns I have seen would require the 914 to be 3 to 4 ft off the ground to bolt it on.

I think it is great question, I have not attempted this, yet.

Several ways come to mind depending on what you have to work with.

A lift works really well but only a few here have them in their garage at home. I have a couple friends with shops and I could go there and put the car on the rotisserie but then I have to load the car on to a trailer while it is on a rotisserie, may not be my first choice.

A fork lift could be used but you have to have access to one or rent one. Probably more money that I want to spend.

Someone here posted some picture of an engine hoist being used to lift 1 end of the car up to get it on the rotisserie, a possibility since I have access to a couple of those. Have to figure out how to lift it without damaging the body.

Floor jack(s) and some sort of cribbing. Jack up one end at a time and stack wood or such to rest it on while you jack the other end up. going back and forth you could work it up to the right height. You have to be sure the cribbing you use is stacked stably and your jacking method is still stable as you get up off the ground. If the timing was such that I was replacing the back fence (that is starting to fall apart) I might have enough 4x4s to use for cribbing before I built the fence with them.

I also have a friend that has a couple motorcycle service lifts. They are small enough to bring 1 to my house and use it to lift the 914 body. Weight of the 914 shell would be in the range of the lift but i am not sure the height that is possible with it.

Just a thought or five

Jim

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Dec 22 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #15

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Free pizza and beer for six of your strongest friends.
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 22 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #16

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

To get it on the rotisserie, just borrow a set of 22" wheels.

Put on the 22s, bolt on the rotisserie, let the air out of the tires. take the wheels off, simple.

John
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Dec 22 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #17

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Dec 22 2011, 05:07 PM) *

Free pizza and beer for six of your strongest friends.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) A bare shell isn't all that heavy. Six of us lifted PanelBilly's car onto the rotis and he had like a million coats of paint on it to add to the weight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 22 2011, 07:46 PM
Post #18

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Dec 22 2011, 07:58 PM) *

I think it is great question, I have not attempted this, yet.

Several ways come to mind depending on what you have to work with.

A lift works really well but only a few here have them in their garage at home. I have a couple friends with shops and I could go there and put the car on the rotisserie but then I have to load the car on to a trailer while it is on a rotisserie, may not be my first choice.

A fork lift could be used but you have to have access to one or rent one. Probably more money that I want to spend.

Someone here posted some picture of an engine hoist being used to lift 1 end of the car up to get it on the rotisserie, a possibility since I have access to a couple of those. Have to figure out how to lift it without damaging the body.

Floor jack(s) and some sort of cribbing. Jack up one end at a time and stack wood or such to rest it on while you jack the other end up. going back and forth you could work it up to the right height. You have to be sure the cribbing you use is stacked stably and your jacking method is still stable as you get up off the ground. If the timing was such that I was replacing the back fence (that is starting to fall apart) I might have enough 4x4s to use for cribbing before I built the fence with them.

I also have a friend that has a couple motorcycle service lifts. They are small enough to bring 1 to my house and use it to lift the 914 body. Weight of the 914 shell would be in the range of the lift but i am not sure the height that is possible with it.

Just a thought or five

Jim

There are designs that can be purchased or home built that incorporate hydraulic lifts on each end. Google- Direct Lift SPINS. I have no personal experience with them, but I like the possibilities.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 22 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Lifting it manually is a great option. Also, the large jackstands can get it high enough, although slightly precarious.

Got the uprights built today, before I ran out of cutoff wheels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Then left the shop without getting the pictures off my camera. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

It's been a bit of a rough day.
+Quote Post
leebenedi
post Dec 23 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,284
Region Association: Spain

Just one question. I plan on putting my 914 on a rotisserie but the front bumper holes are quite rusted. Is that a problem?

Thank you,

Lee
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:32 AM