Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 23 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #1

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've had a long term project going now to turn my '67 Squareback into my shop car. While I love driving my 914, it has limitations as a daily parts hauler. I love old styling with new technology and updates, so my goal is to turn my humble Square into the wagon that Porsche never made. I want it to drive and handle more like a Porsche than a VW wagon and it's got to be a true "Sleeper" (not a real problem; since it's a wagon). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324689630.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324689631.2.jpg)

This has been a 4-5 phase project.

Phase-1 - Convert it to Porsche 914 2.0L motor. Make it physically adapted to the car and running MS2 w/ Ford EDIS ignition. Get it tuned to be a daily driver. DONE!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324689631.3.jpg)

Phase-2 - Make the motor look good and freshen it up with new P&Cs. The heads were freshened only about 2K miles before I got it, by me when it was in a clients 914 that he converted to Subie power. I noticed that once I had a few miles on it myself, it was using a bit of oil. So I upgraded to a new set of 96mm P&Cs. So now it's a 2056.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I had my local powder coater do all the tins in black and the plenum and runners in grey for a stock look. I'm running T-4 H/Es with a modified bus header and a Summit Racing Flow Master clone muffler. So I had those ceramic coated in black so they are not attention grabbers from the back. This car is a sleeper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image

DONE!!

Phase-3 - Convert the rear suspension to the later style IRS and install a Porsche 923 trans out of a Porsche 912E. The rear suspension is DONE!! While at it, I upgraded it with 914 rear brakes, urethane bushings, adjustable spring plates and a rear sway bar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324689632.4.jpg)

Since the trans is taller than a stock 4-speed and cutting into the car can't happen due to rear seat issues. I gained the 1.5" I needed by spacing the body off the rear suspension with spacers. So here I sit, on the final leg of phase-3. I now need to couple the motor/trans and lift it into it's final place and fab rear engine hanger mounts for the rear bar. It's late and I'm tired. . .

Phase-4 - Front suspension upgrade. Currently in-work

Phase-5 - Paint so it doesn't look so crappy, though it does add to the "sleeper" persona. . .

Stay tuned for more later. . .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Dec 23 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #2

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Let me know if you ever want to sell it!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 23 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Looks like a cool project! Can't wait to see some pics & video of it once roadworthy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
NORD
post Dec 23 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,756

Very Cool

Now Zebra paint job almost there

The Mahles look good

Autocross school in the spring! Will it be ready?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 23 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I dig this car! You have to keep us posted.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 23 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I've always loved those Squarebacks! Several buddies back in the 60s & 70s had them as surf-wagons, as a cool alternative to a VW Bus or early Woodies.

Another HS buddy front-ended his new 69 911S grad present, then got a beater VW Splitty van & had the 911S engine/transaxle & suspension, instruments, etc. on it - but left it looking like a ratty rust bucket. He became known for doing wheelies in the school parking lot, and for dragging & beating the 60's muscle cars around town in the stop-light-drags - several of which had a bus full of us geeky HS kids in it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

That looks like it will be both a hot & cool build, especially with a really slick paint job on it!
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Dec 23 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,741

Looks great and can't wait to see it done (which appears to be soon). I really like type 3's, I got my driver's licence in my mum's 1600 fastback. The dash was way cooler then my brother's beetle and it went a lot better too.

phil
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 23 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
swood
post Dec 23 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 251

subscribed! looking forward to the "how-to" thread...that is sweet!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 23 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Very cool project! That's one of my favorite wagons. I missed getting my aunt's nice clean CA squareback wagon, because my cousin is a nertz.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Dec 24 2011, 12:48 AM
Post #11

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

too cool. ive never had a type 3. is it i window warper? do the side windows bend open instead of being hinged?

i didnt know the torsion housing was removable in type 3s. very handy to have it removable.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Dec 24 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #12

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

5 speed for freeway delivery... cool!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 24 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #13

The Aircooledtech Guy

Made good progress today. Joined the motor and trans hopefully for the last time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767704.1.jpg)

Lifted the car and got the motor and trans into position, then dropped the car onto the motor/trans. LIKE A GLOVE!! Then I had to design and fab a pair of rear hangers for the rear mount bar. The bar is a stock bus bar, so it's rubber mounted at the motor. So these are solid mounts to the car. The pic is 90degrees off, but you all get the idea.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767705.2.jpg)

Once I bolted these up, the motor and trans was finally home; not hooked-up, but home in it's final location.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767706.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767707.4.jpg)

Things I have to re-engineer before I can close out phase-3 are:

- The clutch cable. The stock one is about a foot too short now and I need a custom-made bowden tube. That should be interesting. . . I'm going to test fit a stock 914 cable assembly just to see how it does. . .
- E-brake cables. Same issues as the clutch but found a company that makes cu$tom e-brake cable$.
- Make new brake lines. This should be a snap.
- Make a custom off-set shift coupler for the trans. Right now the shift rod is above the torsion housing and the trans shift shaft is below it. . .
- Figure out what to do for a shifter. I think I already have this one done, but i don't want to jinx it. . .
- Hook-up the EFI and all the wiring and fuel system.

I lowered it down to see how it's riding and while it looks great, I may raise it up about an inch since it's almost riding on the bump-stops.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767707.5.jpg)

Well time to START my Christmas shopping. . . (I do better under pressure) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
3d914
post Dec 24 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Dec 24 2011, 04:01 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1324767707.4.jpg)

Well time to START my Christmas shopping. . . (I do better under pressure) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Very cool wagon. I love sleepers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) What type of heat exchangers are those? This is a 2.0L right?
+Quote Post
Jakeodoule
post Dec 24 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,630

Very nice work Nate!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 24 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

WANT!

Mix that with rootwerks lifted monster square (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 24 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #17

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Ya know, I see things like this and I want to move next to your shop (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 24 2011, 05:36 PM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice project!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 24 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #19

The Aircooledtech Guy

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've had this car for about 8 years in various set-ups but basically stock.

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Dec 23 2011, 10:48 PM) *

is it i window warper? do the side windows bend open instead of being hinged?

No. Regular hinged type quarters on Squarebacks. The fastbacks had the windows that just bent. . . Freaky!!

QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 24 2011, 03:12 PM) *

What type of heat exchangers are those? This is a 2.0L right?

The H/Es are from a VW 411/412. They are a very basic H/E like our 914 ones. Until I had them ceramic coated, I had been running a set of heavy Bus H/Es. They worked fine but took a long time to heat up the aluminum jacket that is cast around the pipes. These should heat-up within a couple blocks and I save about 20# off the back of the car (this thing is a drift car in the wet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) ).

The motor is a 2.0L out of a 914. I've just added a set of flat-top 96mm P&Cs to bump it up to a 2056cc. With the worn P&Cs it was a lot of fun to spank Honda fart-cars out on the hwy. It pulled really strong. Now with the added CR and size, I should surprise a lot more too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) The car only weighs about 1800# (well more with my big @$$).

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 24 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #20

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

The T3 Wagons were my favorites of the aircooled VWs. I want to own one some day. I love this build!

Zach
+Quote Post

23 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:44 AM