Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
Jacob
post Dec 24 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,705
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great build! thanks for posting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Dec 24 2011, 09:53 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How about spraying the interior with a bed liner. It would coat everything with a texture and go along with the industrial "hauler" theme
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Dec 25 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,197

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Dec 24 2011, 05:01 PM) *

- The clutch cable. The stock one is about a foot too short now and I need a custom-made bowden tube. That should be interesting. . . I'm going to test fit a stock 914 cable assembly just to see how it does. . .

Would a hydraulic clutch be an easier option?

Cool project. I've been looking at Type 3s on The Samba off-and-on for a month or so. (I've owned a couple squarebacks but actually like notchbacks better.) Most of them have been so thoroughly thrashed that I wouldn't even think of buying one. (Maybe there is some parallel non-Samba universe where all the Type 3s are all perfect?)

S
+Quote Post
Series9
post Dec 25 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #24

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I love it. My first car was a Fastback.
+Quote Post
barada
post Dec 25 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,613
Region Association: None

Awesome build. I bet some hand drawn logos on it would look really cool. Can't wait for the update.

Phillip
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 25 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(barada @ Dec 25 2011, 09:38 AM) *

Awesome build. I bet some hand drawn logos on it would look really cool. Can't wait for the update.

Phillip

Trans looks like a 915 ... why 923 ? Great ideas and great execution.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 25 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #27

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 25 2011, 10:13 AM) *

[ Trans looks like a 915 ... why 923 ? Great ideas and great execution.

The trans IS a 915, but it's got some unique gearing to compliment the 2.0L-4 cylinder engine and throw-out assembly that is specific to the '76 912E. So as with all the unique 912E parts, Porsche gave it its own "923-series" P/N rather than a 915-series.

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 11 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #28

The Aircooledtech Guy

Made some progress this afternoon. Fabbed-up a custom length shift rod from an early beetle shifter. I used and early beetle because the nipple for the shift coupler is exactly the same OD as a stock Porsche coupler. Change to a beetle set-screw and I'm golden. I also fabbed and positioned the rear hanger for the new shift rod. It's going to be a two-piece shift rod using a mix of VW/Porsche/custom/aircraft parts to get it all done.

It's a little hard to see with all the cable tunes in the tunnel through the access hole that I cut. I had to first cut a window. Then make a pedestal for the rear hangar and bushing. A stock Porsche shift coupler was used and then robbed the bottom of a late 914 shifter to use as the alignment adjustment for the shifter. If all goes as planned, I should be able to adjust this shifter just like a stock Porsche.

Shot for context
Attached Image

A close-up between the tubes
Attached Image

Next is going to be the "S" piece that actually connects to the trans input shaft.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Jan 12 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 4,138

Great project! I have always loved these, nice work!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #30

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 24 2011, 03:34 PM) *

WANT!

Mix that with rootwerks lifted monster square (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Don't ever let these two T3's have kids! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 12 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #31

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

This is a very cool SB. I've always liked them and seeing this makes it more so. Can't wait to see what it will be when finished (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 14 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #32

The Aircooledtech Guy

Pulled the motor and trans out to get the last pieces out so they could go to the powder coater. While everything was out, I figured it was as good a time as any to get the Eberspacher BA4 gas heater fitted in it's final location. I ended up mounting this 180 degrees opposite of how it's normally mounted in the 411/412 cars so the air inlets/outlets could be more friendly for the T-3 body. I'm still going to be doing a lot of custom fabrication to get it all running out of the heater and into the body, but I don't think it will be too bad.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1326581778.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1326581779.2.jpg)

I still need to make an access cover in the cargo floor for servicing the glow plug and the coil but that type of stuff is pretty basic. I also need to decide where to run the wires into the cab under the rear seat and where I will have the relays mounted. Luckily, since I swapped the orientation of the heater, the wires will be on the opposite side of the rear seat area from the Megasquirt, EDIS and O2 sensor wiring.

I temporarily removed the rear suspension so I could cut the access hole for the shift linkage. I also made the final shift linkage piece. Once my rear engine mounts come back from the powder coater, I can get that all finalized. Fingers crossed but I'm confident this time the shifting will be spot-on.

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 17 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #33

The Aircooledtech Guy

I worked on the shift-shaft and coupling for the Porsche 923 trans yesterday and this morning. After a partial redesign. . .

I now have 5 gears fwd and one in reverse!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I have to do a slight bit of refining of the design, but it is working pretty darned well as it is.

Doing the shifter linkage forced me to re-install the motor/trans into the car. The rear hangars are at the powder coater, so it's all being held in place with a transverse 2X4 across the engine access and ratchet straps. :shock: It works well for mock-up, but I wouldn't want to drive that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

While the motor/trans was in, I had the chance to see how close the BA4 heater is to the starter. . . Got plenty of room; no interference at all with almost 1" of room. So now I can proceed with wiring and ducting into the car and fab an exhaust for it.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 17 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #34

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 17 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #35

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

If the starter is in that close proximity to the heater do you have to shield it to prevent heat soak & no start?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 18 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #36

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 17 2012, 06:46 PM) *

If the starter is in that close proximity to the heater do you have to shield it to prevent heat soak & no start?

It shouldn't be a problem since the 411/412 cars had the heater installed in exactly the same position in relation to the trans/starter. If this becomes an issue though, it's a simple fix.
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Jan 18 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 4,197

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 18 2012, 02:00 PM) *
It shouldn't be a problem since the 411/412 cars had the heater installed in exactly the same position...

Interesting. Did that model have some sort of gas/diesel heater option?
+Quote Post
majkos
post Jan 18 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Great thread!

My first car was a '69 SquareBack,

Wood panel over the the windows on inside,Hey this was in the 70's
with the back seat down, 5 inch padding, she was dubbed, "Passion Wagon" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

My gas heater was a SW, ( Stewart Warner?)
and mounted in front trunk. funny as hell in winter, exhaust for the heater is piped out the driver front wheel well,smoke coming from front of car.
people always telling me, "your car is on fire..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I really dig the rear sway bar. SQ are a "lil" top heavy.
(Rolled in one) 'nuther story
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 19 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #39

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

very cool nate. did you have to mount the fresh air shrould bracket off of the t-3? submit the project to HOT VWS mag. i bet you could sell conversion packages to the t-3 crowd.

k
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 19 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #40

The Aircooledtech Guy

Awaiting parts on a bunch of stuff, due to all the snow we have around here, so I figured I would make the most of my time.

I decided the dash would be my focus. I'm replacing the stock 3 gauges in favor of a pair of Porsche gauges (since they fit so nicely :wink: ) and a VDO tach that I had laying around.

Before:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1327012533.1.jpg)

pulled the gauges out and drilled holes in the dash for the new idiot lights since the Porsche gauges I'm installing do not have these. I had to install one for the alternator, oil pressure, high beam and blinker. They turned out pretty good so I don't mind making the cuts.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1327012534.2.jpg)

Next I made a custom harness for the gauges so that I could simply plug into the Porsche gauges from the stock harness. I haven't tested the wiring yet, but how hard can a few idiot lights ans senders be, right?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Famous last words. . . I still have wires to run back for the oil temp and speedo pick-up on the trans. I'm planning to run them along with the other gauge wiring when I run the CHT, oil pressure and volt meter.

Finished:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1327012535.3.jpg)

I am probably going to clock the tach so that the entire sweep is within view when the car is driving again. The Porsche 930 wheel is smaller and blocks the view from about the 1-4 o'clock positions.

I also took some shots of the heater with the trans installed. Room-O-Plenty!! I'm going to spend the rest of the day making the adapters for the inlet hoses for the heater to car connections. I really like how the 69 Square with the BA4 had the fan mounted on the air duct. I may have to duplicate that!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1327012535.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1327012536.5.jpg)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:12 AM