Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
messix
post Jun 12 2014, 05:56 PM
Post #201

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

Group: Members
From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

oh dear Krusty.....

have you ever tried to spin a old time grinding wheel ? or an old hand crank sharpening wheel?

to get a mass rotating takes a considerable amount of power... right? well once it is rotating it doesn't take too much to keep it rotating right ? that is just like a flywheel right.

well if you have a fly wheel that's has a heavy mass, and that mass affects the overall mass of the rotating drive train, if you lighten any part of that overall mass the car will accelerate at a quicker rate due to less power taken to accelerate the overall rotating mass.

clear as mud?????
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 12 2014, 06:02 PM
Post #202

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2014, 03:27 PM) *

I agree with Nate. HP at the wheels is always lower than at the crank. Why? the variety of losses along the way from the crank to the wheels. Anything you can do that reduces transmission losses shows up at the wheels. Lighter flywheel? Aluminum pressure plate? Lightened differential? All those will reduce transmission losses.

Exactly. It's just physics.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 12 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #203

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2014, 02:45 PM) *

I'm not all that convinced by your explanation of the benefits of the flywheel mods, but I'll think on it for a bit. Next question: Is that intake tube gonna be attached to a cold air source? I suspect you might gain more benefit from that than from chopping the flywheel.

The Cap'n

I may in time duct it to the cooling air duct like the factory did but I doubt it. I may in time turbo the car so this would be obsolete then. Absolutely no way a cold air intake would be more beneficial to this car than lightening the flywheel. Have you ever changed a car to a lightened flywheel and actually felt the big difference it makes??
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 15 2014, 11:29 AM
Post #204

The Aircooledtech Guy

Finally, the fender stretching is done!! Got the drivers side rear finished-up yesterday evening and it feels good to have that all behind me. It came out pretty darned good but was a bit tedious to get the same as the left side.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1402853388.1.jpg)

I also shaved the inner edge of the fiberglass bumpers in order to allow them to fit since the fenders wouldn't allow proper fitment without it. Luckily there's enough meet on them to trim around 1/2" off and still have them look un-modified.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1402853389.2.jpg)

I still have a bit of under fender work to do, but the part everyone see's is done. I really like the "fat squatting" look from the rear with the fat tires and the 911 banana can poking out. I may reposition the exhaust tip a little higher, but all in all the look of the rear is about where I wanted it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1402853389.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 15 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #205

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I love this thread. I wish you had more time to work on this project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 17 2014, 06:31 PM
Post #206

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 15 2014, 10:35 AM) *

I love this thread. I wish you had more time to work on this project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well that makes two of us!! I'm making time these days as my deadline looms near. . .

Took about an hour to shorten these IDF/DRLA manifolds 1 3/4" so they would fit into the Squarsche. I cut them apart on a band saw.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403051493.1.jpg)

Then after beveling all the edges so I could get good penetration, I TIG welded them back together again. Then after they cooled down, I used a burr to smooth out the transition on the inside for good flow from the ITBs.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403051494.2.jpg)

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 17 2014, 10:12 PM
Post #207

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 12 2014, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 12 2014, 03:27 PM) *

I agree with Nate. HP at the wheels is always lower than at the crank. Why? the variety of losses along the way from the crank to the wheels. Anything you can do that reduces transmission losses shows up at the wheels. Lighter flywheel? Aluminum pressure plate? Lightened differential? All those will reduce transmission losses.

Exactly. It's just physics.

Physics? There you are. I passed HS physics by the skin of my teeth and a volunteer job as a lab assistant. I learned something today. I learn something every day.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 23 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #208

The Aircooledtech Guy

This Saturday, I got the sway bar mounts made (well mostly made) and test fitted.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403580924.1.jpg)

I also tweeked the entire throttle cable system and get it swapped over from the single TB location to the new location that works with the ITBs on this car. This also called for a custom cable, cable sheath extension and some other stuff so that it would work in this bastard step-child of a car. The result is a SUPER smooth cable linkage. The system is from Tangerine Racing and is a piece of art. If you want smooth linkage that is simple to sync and clean, this is the only set to get.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403580924.2.jpg)

Today, my son Josh began assembling the bottom-end of the new race motor. He's doing a great job so far and I'll post photos of that when the bottom-end comes together.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 26 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #209

The Aircooledtech Guy

Beginning this week, my son Josh has been out of school and is coming in to give his old man a hand at the shop. But it’s not without a mission. Since he was about 8 y/o, he’s been coming in occasionally to help when he needed some extra money to buy stuff kids buy. Over the past 6 years or so, he’s been my tear-down/parts-washing king. The un-disputed king at that. Now that he is 14 y/o he’s earned a new job. . .

Monday and Wednesday, he spent the better part of both days assembling the 2.3L race motor that will be the new heart of the Squarsche. What follows are a few shots of him assembling the bottom end. I have to say that he has really listened well and is doing a bang-up job on this motor so far. I couldn’t be more proud. . .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799986.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799986.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799987.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799987.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799988.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799988.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799989.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799989.8.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1403799989.9.jpg)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 26 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #210

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Yea Josh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
NORD
post Jun 26 2014, 11:18 AM
Post #211

Member No.: 2,756

Josh; PM me, your probably less money than your dad for motor rebuilds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 26 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #212

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

About time you got some help. You really are fuchin slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Okay seriously though. Good to see Josh getting some first hand work in on the project. You have made amazing progress on it. Can't wait to see that thing in person (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Jun 26 2014, 06:17 PM
Post #213

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Nice T-Shirt Josh...Great Work!!!!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 26 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #214

The Aircooledtech Guy

Thanks guys. He's a good kid and to my surprise, through all the smart-assness he listens really well and is really careful and methodical with his actions. Which is perfect for engine building,. . . and plotting to burn down the school. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I'll steer him to the former and hope the later never enters his mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Since I sent-in my car registration, Dr's certs, waivers and entry fees today, I may as well let everyone know that I'm officially planning to "pop the cherry" on the Squarsche at the Bonneville Salt Flats this September at the World of Speed event (Sept 6th-9th). We'll be attempting to gain entry into the "130 Club" which means we need two consecutive runs with an average between 130.000 - 139.999mph without going over. It's a tall order, but we're going. That's the goal, that's the mission and we're determined to make it.

Oddly, it turns out that there has NEVER been a type3 VW to compete at Bonneville so we'll be poppin' the cherry on that one too!! There has only been 1 type3 (a Fasty) to ever compete in a land speed event in the world and it was last year in Australia. Apparently they ran into motor issues and only attained a top speed of around 75mph. . . I'm hoping to better that in 3rd gear with another two gears to go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

My son and I have named our race team "Mutt Racing" since the Squarsche is a mutt-car. Our Race number is T-828 which s the average of all the cars that donated parts to the mutt, so cheer us on come early September.

As a side note: Josh is going to be towing me back to the pits after each run since "racing vehicles" are not allowed to drive back under their own power after a run (even if they are in a street car class like the 130 Club). I think Josh is more excited about getting to drive my '62 Ranchero tow vehicle than actually being part of a race team competing at Bonneville. . . He went for his first practice today on the back roads. . . I can't get that sh*t-eatin' grin off his face 3 hours later. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Crap; hope his mother doesn't find out. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 26 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #215

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Wow, I'm going to know someone famous! What a cool idea. Where did this idea come from?
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 26 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #216

914 Neferati

That is way cool Nate. Another site I visit has a couple of LSR folks - they drive Y-Block Ford pickups. They have documented how stringent the tech process is and how helpful it is to have an experienced person do a pre-check to keep from getting a big surprise at the Flats. Do you have anyone local to provide a second set of eyes?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 26 2014, 09:52 PM
Post #217

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 26 2014, 07:51 PM) *

That is way cool Nate. Another site I visit has a couple of LSR folks - they drive Y-Block Ford pickups. They have documented how stringent the tech process is and how helpful it is to have an experienced person do a pre-check to keep from getting a big surprise at the Flats. Do you have anyone local to provide a second set of eyes?

The sort answer is NO. I'm racing with the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association (USFRA) in hopes of gaining entry into the 130 club which is a "street car" class. Meaning 90% of the class rules do not apply. The 130/150 Club classes are true grass-roots classes designed to get folks hooked on a high-sodium diet in hopes that next year you build a class racer. Basically only basic safety rules apply like no fuel lines in the drivers compartment, 3-point belts or better, H-series tires or better, helmet, long sleeves, long pants and closed toe shoes (the rules actually exclude sandals by name!!) etc. etc. If I were to compete for a specific class (an absolute speed record), then all the SCTA (Southern California Timing Association) rules would apply and I'd need a gaggle of folks looking over my shoulder. Holy crap there are a lot of requirements and for good reason, but damn. Once you get into class racing, it becomes easy to see why sponsorship is not only a luxury, but darned-near a requirement. If I were to go class racing, I could easily see dumping $5-$10K into the car to gain compliance to the rule book and probably a lot more. It quickly becomes evident why there are so few true privateers in racing (any kind of racing).

While the obvious goal is to gain entry into the 130 club, privately, my goal is to just have a good time with my son and create memories that will last a lifetime. Any accolades are merely gravy to me and will rightfully go to Josh as the engine builder. The race is happening now. I can't imagine Bonneville being any more strenuous than what we're doing now just trying to get the car ready to run.

If in the future I do build the car for class-racing, I have several guys locally who race at Bonneville who have indicated that they would be happy to look over the car for compliance. One of the guys, Dave Tatom, used to race for Porsche in the late 50s/early 60s in Europe and raced a factory RSK. He now runs "Bonneville Betty" a bright yellow '32 Ford running one of his famous blown flathead V8s that he builds out of his shop. I've only met him once, but I came away thinking, "I should buy this guy endless beers just to hear his racing stories from the hay-day of racing" (videoing it of course for posterity). He's simply a wealth of knowlege. . .

We truly stand on the shoulders of giants that have come before us. I believe that with every fiber!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 26 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #218

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 26 2014, 07:40 PM) *

Wow, I'm going to know someone famous! What a cool idea. Where did this idea come from?

I don't know about famous. NOTORIOUS is probably a better word. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Well, it goes back to 1974 when my mom bought me a copy of the Guinness Book of World Records. Out of all the fun records like fattest man, tallest man, lingest fingernails/beard, etc, etc., the only two records that stuck in my mind were:

1. Fastest car - The Blue Flame 630+mph and
2. Longest skid - 5 miles, Spirit of America, Breedlove (of course)!!!
BOTH AT BONNEVILLE. I remember thinking that someday I should check out this place they call Bonneville. . .

The silly crap 8 y/o's remember. . .

Fast forward 38 years and one of my clients comes in and hands me a photo he recently took at Bonneville of a turbo'd bug that went around 160mph and a program for the event. . . The photo went up on my wall and the program has never left my desk. Damn him!! The die was cast and I blame HIM for it all every time he comes in!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 26 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #219

914 Neferati

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 26 2014, 07:52 PM) *

If in the future I do build the car for class-racing, I have several guys locally who race at Bonneville who have indicated that they would be happy to look over the car for compliance. One of the guys, Dave Tatom, used to race for Porsche in the late 50s/early 60s in Europe and raced a factory RSK. He now runs "Bonneville Betty" a bright yellow '32 Ford running one of his famous blown flathead V8s that he builds out of his shop. I've only met him once, but I came away thinking, "I should buy this guy endless beers just to hear his racing stories from the hay-day of racing" (videoing it of course for posterity). He's simply a wealth of knowlege. . .

We truly stand on the shoulders of giants that have come before us. I believe that with every fiber!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

I had no idea that Dave Tatom had a Porsche connection. He is a legend in the flathead Ford world. His shop is in Mt. Vernon or Sedro Woolley or somewhere over there. Definitely cultivate that relationship.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jul 9 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #220

The Aircooledtech Guy

Got my fenders and doors back from my body guy, so I hung them on and dragged her outside so I could take a shot for the official program for the World Of Speed event in Bonneville. It's sitting a little ass-high since there's no motor in it. All in all, the debauchery is coming together nicely. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1404940327.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:01 PM