Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 12 2014, 06:01 PM
Post #241

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 12 2014, 12:06 PM) *

Yeah, that was a bummer for sure. A lot of folks turned out for nuthin'.

On the bright side, the event we're participating in is World Of Speed put on by the USFRA and is in about one month from now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) 'Course without a crystal ball who knows what the weather will do between now and then. We'll pray for sun.

With temps in the 90s, it only takes about 2-3 days to dry out and be race ready after being flooded like it was. Last year WOS was canceled due to flooding too, but Speed Week went off without a hitch. Every year its a roll of the dice.

Luckily, I'm pre-registered and good to go for WOS. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to buy a pre-registration spot for WOS now that SW was canceled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john77
post Aug 12 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 12 2014, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 12 2014, 12:06 PM) *

Yeah, that was a bummer for sure. A lot of folks turned out for nuthin'.

On the bright side, the event we're participating in is World Of Speed put on by the USFRA and is in about one month from now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) 'Course without a crystal ball who knows what the weather will do between now and then. We'll pray for sun.

With temps in the 90s, it only takes about 2-3 days to dry out and be race ready after being flooded like it was. Last year WOS was canceled due to flooding too, but Speed Week went off without a hitch. Every year its a roll of the dice.

Luckily, I'm pre-registered and good to go for WOS. You wouldn't believe the number of people trying to buy a pre-registration spot for WOS now that SW was canceled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Can spectators come to this?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 12 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #243

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(john77 @ Aug 12 2014, 05:09 PM) *

Can spectators come to this?

Absolutely, and I believe it's FREE to watch. Log onto the USFRA website for all the details.

Land speed racing is one form of racing that is mainly for the racers. No press about anything that happens unless one of the really fast records gets broken. No prize money. Out in the middle of nowhere when it's hot.

It is one form of racing where the grass-roots racer and the highly financed corporate teams share the paddock and race head to head.

Hopefully I'll see you there. If you do come, please stop by our pits and introduce yourself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 13 2014, 04:17 PM
Post #244

The Aircooledtech Guy

I got the new motor stuffed in the car and some other details wrapped-up today as well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1407968256.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1407968256.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1407968256.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1407968256.4.jpg)

So far the ride height as it is allows 3" at the flex-dam and 4" at the trans mount/skid plate and the sump. I'll be raising up an inch or so before any street driving just to be safe, but will lower it 1.5" front and another inch in the rear for Bonneville.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 13 2014, 04:20 PM
Post #245

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Maybe I missed it. Is that a 912E engine mount bar?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 13 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #246

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 13 2014, 03:20 PM) *

Maybe I missed it. Is that a 912E engine mount bar?

Nope. It's a standard Bus bar that has been welded directly to the engine mounts. I'll probably need ear plugs for long trips. . .
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 13 2014, 07:03 PM
Post #247

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

I don't see too many people mention Bonneville or flatheads or VW or land speed records around here.
What you are doing with your car and more importantly with your son is really cool.
I have a Flathead '32 Ford roadster, a real 914 6 and been a VW and Street Rod enthusiast for 40 years.
And been to Bonneville.
But you'll be running there ! How cool ! I'm jealous.
Good luck. Be safe.
PS the record for 2.0 sports cars is 147mph.
Doesn't seem outrageous
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 15 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #248

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 13 2014, 06:03 PM) *

I don't see too many people mention Bonneville or flatheads or VW or land speed records around here.
What you are doing with your car and more importantly with your son is really cool.
I have a Flathead '32 Ford roadster, a real 914 6 and been a VW and Street Rod enthusiast for 40 years.
And been to Bonneville.
Good luck. Be safe.
Doesn't seem outrageous.

As I tell everyone, not too many people are foolish enough to bring an old air-cooled VW to a LSR event, but I'm just that kind of fool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I won't be competing for an absolute speed record since I don't have a car built to the SCTA rulebook. The USFRA has two classes called "the 130/150 club which are specifically for "street cars". It' s a way to get guys hooked on a high sodium diet and get them to build a spec-built car next time. I'll be competing in the 130 club. If I can achieve my goal of being in the 130 club and feel like it's got more to give, I plan to buy another set of runs and just see how fast this pig can go.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 15 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #249

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 15 2014, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 13 2014, 06:03 PM) *

And been to Bonneville.
Good luck. Be safe.
Doesn't seem outrageous.

As I tell everyone, not too many people are foolish enough to bring an old air-cooled VW to a LSR event, but I'm just that kind of fool. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 16 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #250

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 15 2014, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 15 2014, 06:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 16 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #251

have you fired up the engine? or did i miss that post?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 16 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #252

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 16 2014, 10:06 AM) *

have you fired up the engine? or did i miss that post?

Not yet. I'm getting all the details done before that happens. On Friday, Mario from www.thedubshop.net is coming to the shop with my new ECU, full custom wiring harness and custom cam sync (for the COP ignition). Then we'll get her fired-up, broke-in and start tuning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I had most of the dash out and am converting the wiring for the custom 2 stalk steering column, so I have lots of wiring changes to do, get all my gauges & lights hooked-up and get everything routed above the new steering shaft so nothing is hanging down. I'm hoping to get a lot of that done tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 16 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #253

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Please keep us posted on your progress. Do they pre-assign run times? Any idea what day or time you'll be running?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 17 2014, 12:56 AM
Post #254

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 16 2014, 09:46 PM) *

Please keep us posted on your progress. Do they pre-assign run times? Any idea what day or time you'll be running?

The Cap'n

I definitely will. Your entry buys a certain number of trips down the track. Depending how busy it is I've heard you'll likely only be able to get 2-3 runs in a day; you just hop in the line and wait till you're on the start line.

My entry fee for the 130 club gets me up to 6 trips down the salt +1 licensing run at no faster than 100mph (to calibrate our speedo/GPS/etc.). Once I have 2 consecutive runs that average between 130.000-139.999 without going over to 140+, I forfeit my remaining runs. If I want more runs to say better my time, I have to purchase another lot of 6.

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 17 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #255

The Aircooledtech Guy

I got my bottom brace for the front spoiler finished today and I'm really happy with it. The spoiler is really solid now and the only flex is in the rubber base skirt (as it should be). This ties into the front suspension for strength.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408318972.1.jpg)

Over the past couple days, I turned a mess of a wiring system that was hanging half way to the floor into a working, correctly routed dash. My friend Robert helped me out by extending the gauge wiring a few weeks ago so it made it a lot simpler. Thanks Robert!! This thing is coming together!!

I also wired-in the new custom steering column. My original '67 column was fine and I could have modified it to work with the 911 steering, but it was a single stalk column and I really wanted to have the wipers up by my hands. Having to reach to the dash for it every 30 seconds with this PNW drizzle we get up here gets old on about 2 miles of driving. So if you remember, I severely cut down a '73 Super Beetle dual stalk column. Yesterday afternoon and today, I attacked the wiring and got them all wired-in. The 13 pin blinker went the way of the Dodo bird and I now have an electric flasher unit for the LED lights. As time allows, I may add an emergency flasher box by way of a couple diodes, but there's just no time for such things now.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408318972.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408318972.3.jpg)

I also got the driver's seat re-installed for the first time in a long time. That felt good too. I sat down in the drivers seat for the first time since about March of 2013 and it was like re-uniting an old friend that you have been missing. . . I can't wait to beat the crap out of this old friend!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408318972.4.jpg)

I also got the coils mounted on the engine and a new set of plug wires routed and cut to length with the correct air-cooled ends. I found that a Bosch set of Vanagon (hack, cough, puke. . .) wires have the correct 90 degree fittings on the coil end for the LS style coils. Just cut them to length and the air-cooled plug ends/seals just screw on like factory.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408318972.5.jpg)

Friday is the big day that Mario Velotta from www.thedubshop.net comes over to my shop with the new MS3X ECU, custom wiring harness and cam sync so we can get this beast fired-up, broken-in and tuned.

Man I can't wait to drive this thing!! All in good time. . .
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 17 2014, 08:32 PM
Post #256

That's really a clean install Nate. Is your tangerine cable setup the newer version?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 17 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #257

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 17 2014, 07:32 PM) *

That's really a clean install Nate. Is your tangerine cable setup the newer version?

Thanks Kevin. I have no idea what version it is. I bought it used off craigslist.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 21 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #258

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Bump to the top so I don't have to search for it! How's it coming along?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Aug 21 2014, 10:49 AM
Post #259

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nate - hopefully your runs will be recorded on video for us to enjoy!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 21 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #260

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Aug 21 2014, 09:49 AM) *

Nate - hopefully your runs will be recorded on video for us to enjoy!

I plan to record each run with one GoPro out the front windshield and a second one synced on the outside of the rear window getting the sound looking backward.

+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:20 AM