Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
Dr Evil
post Aug 22 2014, 06:17 AM
Post #261

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Have the windshield one capture the gauges, too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 22 2014, 09:23 AM
Post #262

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 21 2014, 09:07 AM) *

Bump to the top so I don't have to search for it! How's it coming along?

The Cap'n

Tried replying to this last night, but the battery died on my laptop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Yesterday was a day of progress, steps back and delays. Isn't that just typical of racing??

On the progress side, my Thursday trip to the San Juans to fix a car got canceled so I was able to have Mario come out a day earlier. We hit it first thing in the morning and by noon, the engine wiring harness was made and installed on the engine side. By 4pm, the entire EFI system was live and all sensors, coils, injectors and triggers were tested and checked good. In that regard a lot was accomplished. We stopped just short of starting the motor. That's where the step back came into play. . .

The step back came around noon when it was time to install the cam sync on the distributor hole. I had not yet installed the distributor drive gear since having it in there without a dizzy to keep it in place will cause it to rise-up in the hole and bind if you hand crank the engine. Even though it doesn't really matter on this cam sensor how the drive gear is orientated, I still wanted to install the drive gear in the correct orientation. So I began to hand crank the motor with the only thing I can hand turn it with; the alternator pulley. As I got about 3/4 turn, the motor "clunked" and bound-up!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I turned it back the other way and the same thing. . .

So we began the deconstruction to eliminate possibilities each time checking if it would turn. We checked the valve springs for binding (again) - good, removed the rockers - good, checked the valves with a straight edge - good borescoped the cylinders through the plug holes - good, borescoped the intakes through the ITBs - good, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Everything was fine. The last time the motor had been rotated was during the valve adjustment and it was perfect. . . confident that it was not caused by anything internal, out came the motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Pulling this motor is not as straight forward as most cars since literally everything is custom on it. To fit in, it must be pivoted at a unit at about a 30 degree down angle on the fwd trans mounts, then you can separate it. 'Course that means you must disconnect all the shift linkage or you will destroy it and possible the trans nose cone and shift shaft. So as soon as we get it ready to separate, I loosen the final nuts on the bottom and shift the motor back about 1/4" and try turning the engine; IT SPINS FREE!! So now we know the issue is in the bell housing.

We separate the engine completely and the witness marks reveal that during the balancing process, a small amount of weight was needed to bring the pressure plate into balance with the rest of the assembly, so a small piece of steel was welded to the PP. Unfortunately, it was interfering with the trans case where the throw-out shaft is. . . So I used a burr to take down the boss on the trans case a bit and the problem was solved. Man, I'll tell you what, I'm gonna give my balancer some good natured crap over that one!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

As for the delay, we decided to hold-off with the starting and tuning until Monday. By the time Josh and I got the motor back in, Mario was finishing up with the wiring inside the car and we would have had enough time to do the initial break-in at least, but there were a couple details that I had overlooked and taking the weekend to get those sewn-up I think would be the wiser move. I also wanted to take advantage of one of the nice features on this new MS3X ECU. I need to install, and wire-in, a momentary button and an LED light to my gauge panel. This will enable me to datalog at the push of a button straight off the ECU to a SD card so no device like a computer or bluetooth phone will need to be in the car for this purpose. This is important since I can't legally have a laptop in the car during a race session.

So all-in-all a good day. Not as great as I would have hoped, but progress was made and by Monday we should be starting, tuning and driving this pig!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 22 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #263

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 22 2014, 05:17 AM) *

Have the windshield one capture the gauges, too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'll see if we can make that happen!!
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 23 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #264

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

As a racer, I'm sure you know that all this drama is supposed to be happening at the track, not 2 weeks early in the comfort of your shop ......................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 23 2014, 10:26 AM
Post #265

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 23 2014, 08:58 AM) *

As a racer, I'm sure you know that all this drama is supposed to be happening at the track, not 2 weeks early in the comfort of your shop ......................

The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 23 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #266

The Aircooledtech Guy

Spent the day getting all the little details ready for Monday morning with Mario (Part 2). Here’s a couple shots of the offending weld and where it was hitting and binding on the bell housing and the fix for it. . .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846401.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.3.jpg)

Got the motor re-stuffed (I’m getting really good at it and it’s scaring me.) With 2 jacks and 30 minutes it’s out and about another 40 minutes to go back in.

Here’s what it’s like with all the harness installed and zip-tied down. Super clean. IMHO, Mario from www.thedubshop.net makes the best harnesses you can buy.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.6.jpg)

Speaking of Mario and his products, here’s a shot of the mini cam sync installed that he designed and makes for our motors. This takes the place of this unit from CB Performance and scales it down to about a 1/5th scale. . . Freaking amazing little piece and it works great too.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408846402.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.cbperformance.com-9730-1408846402.8.jpg)

So as of now, I have 5 gallons of Premium gas in the tank. The fuel pressure is set @ 35psi on the peanut gauge. I cranked the motor to prime it with oil until the light went out. Now all I have to do its wait until Monday morning. I've got the GoPros charged-up and ready to capture that sh*t-eatin' grin on Josh's face when that motor roars to life for the first time. . . Come-on Monday!!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Aug 23 2014, 08:26 PM
Post #267

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I love everything about this thread. Father and son. Extremely cool car. Reasonable budget, and incredible ingenuity and fabrication. Simply fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 24 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #268

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Aug 23 2014, 07:26 PM) *

I love everything about this thread. Father and son. Extremely cool car. Reasonable budget, and incredible ingenuity and fabrication. Simply fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Thanks for the kind words; we're having a good time with this project for sure.

No time for the real paint job before Bonneville and the rules say that your car must have a neat, presentable appearance.,. . . so a quick bomb-can-job will have to do for now so she's all one color. I found the perfect color of grey that I was looking for too. Ford tractor and implement grey; grey with a little brown in it.

My philosophy is: Go fast enough and no one will be able to notice the flaws!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408941679.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408941679.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1408941680.3.jpg)

So far I have the roof, rear hatch and the front-end painted. The rest will be shot later in the week. I really want to drive it to the tranny clinic next weekend so I can break-in the motor before Bonneville. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Fingers crossed on that one though. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 24 2014, 10:50 PM
Post #269

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Where did you get that paint? It's the exact color I need to paint my Westy propane tank.

Good luck on the start up tomorrow.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 24 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #270

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 24 2014, 09:50 PM) *

Where did you get that paint? It's the exact color I need to paint my Westy propane tank.

Ace hardware. It's their "Ace" brand @ $4.99 for a large can with the good style adjustable spray tip too.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 24 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #271

914 Neferati

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 24 2014, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 24 2014, 09:50 PM) *

Ace hardware. It's their "Ace" brand @ $4.99 for a large can with the good style adjustable spray tip too.

Perfect, a CSOB special. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 25 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #272

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

shelton and back. BOLD test for right out of the 'box'.

k
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 25 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #273

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I approve of this!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 25 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #274

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 25 2014, 07:18 AM) *

k

Let me re-think this. . . Blast it to 130+ (hopefully) out of the box, or give it a shake-down run prior to the blast ro 130+ (hopefully). . . I'll give it a shake-down run thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Either way, the miles go on it. I live 20 minutes (15 miles) from the ferry terminal on Whidbey Island. Once you cross the ferry it's only about 60 miles to Shelton on the 101. It's a great twisty drive where I get to test the motor, suspension, everything!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 25 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #275

914 Neferati

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 25 2014, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 25 2014, 07:18 AM) *

k

Let me re-think this. . . Blast it to 130+ (hopefully) out of the box, or give it a shake-down run prior to the blast ro 130+ (hopefully). . . I'll give it a shake-down run thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Either way, the miles go on it. I live 20 minutes (15 miles) from the ferry terminal on Whidbey Island. Once you cross the ferry it's only about 60 miles to Shelton on the 101. It's a great twisty drive where I get to test the motor, suspension, everything!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I don't know, that thing looks pretty low. Are you sure it won't scrape getting on/off the ferry? I'd hate to see you hung up on the ramp as the boat pulls away from the dock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 25 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #276

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 25 2014, 04:00 PM) *

I don't know, that thing looks pretty low. Are you sure it won't scrape getting on/off the ferry? I'd hate to see you hung up on the ramp as the boat pulls away from the dock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

The suspension is adjustable front and rear. I don't plan to drive this thing on the road as low as it is now. `I will need to have 5-6" clearance in the rear and at least 5" in the front. That means it must come up 1.5" F & R for the street. For Bonneville, I'll have the front flex dam within 1/2"-3/4" off the ground with the rear about as low as I can go to make it flat.

In other news,. . .

The new motor has fought Josh and I from day one. Today was the biggest PITA I have had in memory. From now on, this car will be referred to as "Murphey's Squarsche" cause this pig is going to drive me to drink,. . . MORE.

We have fought poor parts from the word go. Today we discovered that the pump cover was not flat all the way across and it literally poured oil as soon as the oil light went out. Then we found a head leak caused by a bad cylinder. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I will NEVER, NEVER, EVER use AA cylinders again. I don't give a shit how much a set of Mahles cost.

So at the end of the day, we were faced with a decision: Continue to fuck with the new motor with a dwindling time schedule, roll the dice and possibly not have a motor with no time to ready the spare motor. OR get the tried and true spare motor in with the new injection and make make it to Bonneville and run the shit out of this car. . . Not a decision I wanted to make, but not having a car to run is just not an option at this point. I've promised Josh that we're going and I won't welsh on that promise. We're going and we're bringing a car to compete with. So a decision has been made. For now, we're going to shelve the 2.3L and methodically work the bugs out when we're not under the pressure of a hard timeline. When it's ready, it's ready. The 2056cc will go in with the new injection, the new exhaust and we're gonna run the wheels off this bitch. No B.S.!!

We'll get these issues ironed out in time and it'll make the victory all the sweeter. For now I think it better to relieve the pressure a bit so we don't take un-due risk with 3 year$ worth of part$ acqui$ition and turn them into a pile of junk on the floor of the shop because we were cutting a corner for a deadline. That's just foolish IMHO.

On a bright note, I just un-corked a fresh bottle of Deception Distillery, Skagit Moon moonshine. It's the smoothest corn squeezin's you've ever tasted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 26 2014, 09:05 AM
Post #277

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i have a set of 94mm mahles when you're ready for them. what a hassle you're going thru so late in the process.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 28 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #278

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Bump!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 31 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #279

The Aircooledtech Guy

The Squarsche is ready for Bonneville!! The only thing left to do is to add a tow hook front and rear and get a 4-wheel alignment. Everything is painted and on the car now. I came out exactly as I had envisioned it. I've driven it about 400 miles in the past 3 days including the tranny clinic and other than the alignment (the rear is out badly and makes it a bit twitchy in high-speed corners), it really drives nice

As of last night. . .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1409467568.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1409467568.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1409467569.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1409467569.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1409467570.5.jpg)
+Quote Post
jeeperjohn56
post Aug 31 2014, 01:06 AM
Post #280

Member No.: 6,407
Region Association: None

Nate, your shop car looks awesome hope you do well at bonneville. John (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:42 AM