Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 14 2014, 08:11 PM
Post #321

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A short action video from Bonneville. . .

http://youtu.be/tPFrJx8GY6w

Josh early on the last morning on the salt. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo9LuAI9ghA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Sep 14 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #322

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That's pretty damn cool to watch, especially the rear view! Jon
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 14 2014, 09:03 PM
Post #323

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

that boy needs some schoolin!
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 15 2014, 07:22 AM
Post #324

The Aircooledtech Guy

Hey Crusty; Remember laughing at this guy in the Camero dressed in a Faux F1 suit??

Attached Image

Here's a little back story on him from one of the guys working the event at Lands End. . .

"Hugh Coltharp (USFRA treasurer, works at Land's End) said the guy got to Land's End and wouldn't pay to go on the salt to see the event. He was extra-grumpy and rude and left. I hear he evidently decided to drive around the end of the pavement and the "pay gate" and save himself some money -- showing the USFRA that he was better than them.

Hmm, let's see. he saved the twenty bucks of a one day pass, but spent how many hundreds getting towed out? evil evil rolleyes

I hear he wouldn't speak to anyone after he was freed. Grouch!"

Karma's a bitch!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 15 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #325

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

We saw him at the car wash on Sunday afternoon. Lotsa pointing and snickering among the folks on hand. Bet he failed to get most of the salt out from under his car. Guess that Go Pro didn't keep him out of trouble ..................... Narcissism is beginning to catch up to Darwinism as a cause of hilarity among the masses.

Missed you guys at the VW barbecue!

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 15 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #326

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 15 2014, 06:22 AM) *

Hey Crusty; Remember laughing at this guy in the Camero dressed in a Faux F1 suit??

Attached Image

Here's a little back story on him from one of the guys working the event at Lands End. . .

"Hugh Coltharp (USFRA treasurer, works at Land's End) said the guy got to Land's End and wouldn't pay to go on the salt to see the event. He was extra-grumpy and rude and left. I hear he evidently decided to drive around the end of the pavement and the "pay gate" and save himself some money -- showing the USFRA that he was better than them.

Hmm, let's see. he saved the twenty bucks of a one day pass, but spent how many hundreds getting towed out? evil evil rolleyes

I hear he wouldn't speak to anyone after he was freed. Grouch!"

Karma's a bitch!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Poser Justice! Sad part is, he has no clue how silly he looks.

Great adventure Nate. You and Josh have stories for a lifetime...or until you go back to the salt for another try.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 15 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #327

Cap'n Krusty

Some onlookers later told me the tow guy made the driver dig it out far enough to allow access for the tow rig ......................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 15 2014, 01:51 PM
Post #328

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 15 2014, 10:21 AM) *

Some onlookers later told me the tow guy made the driver dig it out far enough to allow access for the tow rig ......................

The Cap'n

Yeah, when we passed him (pointing and laughing) he had a shovel and was frantically going at it with the tow truck parked across the road looking on. . . Boy he really showed everyone how it's done alright.

I felt really bad about missing the BBQ; sorry about that. We left the salt around 4pm and we took a "nap". At 9:30pm I woke-up and realized we slept through it. I was pretty bummed about missing it. The sun really took it out of us though while we were there.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 15 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #329

Cap'n Krusty

You should be bummed. I had to share the Santa Maria Style tri-tip with the cooks. Not that they complained .............

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 15 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #330

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 15 2014, 02:13 PM) *

You should be bummed. I had to share the Santa Maria Style tri-tip with the cooks. Not that they complained .............

The Cap'n

Doh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Let it be known that the Cap'n is not nearly as "Crusty" in person as he may seem here. . .

It was really great to meet you. Thanks for your support!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 16 2014, 09:25 AM
Post #331

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 15 2014, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 15 2014, 02:13 PM) *

The Cap'n

Doh!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Let it be known that the Cap'n is not nearly as "Crusty" in person as he may seem here. . .

It was really great to meet you. Thanks for your support!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Busted me! You sure you really wanted to do that? Years of karefully krafted reputation down the drain ................. Guess you're gonna have to wait until the next time I go to Barneyville (just WHERE was that big purple fella, anyway?) to enjoy gourmet beef, Santa Maria Style.

It was a truly great experience, and my wife's sooo pissed she missed the 100th anniversary event. I'll be back ....................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
MMW
post Sep 20 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #332

Member No.: 16,477
Region Association: North East States

Saw this on the Volksrod forum.
http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?...537&page=11

"Nate Morse 96.990 T828 130 67 T3 Squareback 2000cc Super Block Porsche 914 Engine
New T3 VW Challenge Record Holder"

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Sep 21 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #333

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Awesome Nate ...
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Oct 22 2014, 07:14 AM
Post #334

The Aircooledtech Guy

Since our trip to Bonneville, I’ve been driving the Squarsche daily so I can sort out any issues that it has and to refine the front suspension.

The first thing I did was to remove the spacers for the fwd trans mount. Thankfulluy I never had a problem when it counted at Bonneville, but as soon as I got home, I had a hell of a time getting 5th and Reverse. Once I removed them and re-adjusted the shift linkage, smooth as butta. . . 1-5 & Rev.

When driving on the street, I was getting a lot of bump-steer input from the suspension. While it was fairly manageable it could cause some twitchiness in high-speed turns and when I would give quick steering inputs (like darting out to pass someone). The suspension geometry had been altered quite a bit in the grafting in of the Porsche 911 suspension/steering so a slow graduated approach was needed to bring back the responsive steering of a Porsche. I began by playing with ride height since a Porsche’s suspension is dramatically altered by height adjustments. On a Porsche, as you lower the car, it toes-in; as you raise the car it toes out so you have to find that sweet-spot. After a few days of playing, I was able to find the perfect height that balanced toe-in, neutrality and toe-out. There were also differences in how the car handled between a full tank and an empty tank which told me that the stock torsion bars were just too soft in the Squarsche. So I installed a set of Sway-A-Way torsions that I picked-up at the Porsche swap meet a couple years ago. I got them so cheap they were almost free (like $50). Holy crap!! The car is completely different animal now. Very predictable handling and it’s a 2-finger driver at 100mph!! Yeah, it’s loosing it’s soft ride, but I don’t care; it handles like a 911!!

Since the summer weather is pretty much over now, I installed the heater hoses that connect the H/Es and the body. Seat heaters help, but I need a little defrost in the morning when it’s in the low 50s to keep the fog off.

I also finally got the rear brake splash-guards powder coated so I installed those since the rains are finally upon us here in the PNW.

The stereo head unit stopped getting the noise to the speakers, so I’ll have to investigate that, but all I all, progress is being made on the refinements to the Squarsche. I am in work on door panels and arm rests and another accessory for it. No, they’re NOT stock and YES, they are Porsche inspired.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Oct 23 2014, 07:02 AM
Post #335

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 10 2014, 05:32 AM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 10 2014, 04:56 AM) *

I like that last photo of your tow rig! How about a description of the Ford? Thanks again for this thread.

Our tow vehicle is our '62 Ranchero (AKA: the "Mighty Ranchero"). It's powered by a pretty new 200-6 and a C4 automatic. She's not a power house but she tows at 60-65mph and is dead reliable. On this trip I think we've passed only 6-7 vehicles; all semis and 1 motorhome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I was browsing Tower Hobbies and ran across this. You may need one of these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXDDBX&P=W

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Oct 23 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #336

914 Neferati

Now that you've got the easy stuff out of the way, when are we going to see the gyroscopic cup holder installation?
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 23 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #337

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Nate, you got that T-3 to go how fast again? Crazy!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 23 2014, 10:04 AM
Post #338

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Two rare events in one day. A blazing fast T3 and Instant Karma delivered upon a Ass Wipe. Damn, I woulld have paid good $$ just to witness that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) stuck in the sand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 17 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #339

The Aircooledtech Guy

The relentless quest for speed and better handling continues. . .

I made further refinements to the front suspension by finally installing the Speedway Engineering 1” hollow sway bar that I bought last spring. This is a bar that I bought used and modified from a Porsche 914. It’s normally sold as a NASCAR sway bar and has 18” billet arms on each side for the drops. These had been trimmed down a few inches and the arms had been custom drilled and tapped with 28 holes each for very fine stiffness adjustments and came with Weltmeister double heim joint drops that attach to the Porsche front A-arm tabs. I don’t have the weight on this, but I can say it’s easily half the weight of an aftermarket type-3 sway bar and is much lighter than a factory Porsche sway bar assembly.

I made some adjustable mounts that hold the bar in the factory type-3 location for the upper front-end tube. I made the mounts eccentric so I could move the bars location in any position within the front-end mount. This will make using the softest and firmest settings more accessible without having the drops at steep angles. I also slightly modified the upper corners of the billet side bars to get just a bit more tire clearance.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1416267242.1.jpg)

This bar is highly adjustable with 28 holes for the drops off the arms. The closer you mount the drops to the sway bar the less twist on the bar is allowed due to lack of leverage and the flatter the car is in the corners. The further you mount the drops from the bar, the more twist is allowed since you’ve increased the leverage on the sway bar. With no experience with this type of bar and certainly on this car, I decided to start-off with hole #14 right in the center. . .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1416267242.2.jpg)

I took it down the street where I have a turn circle that I can properly test it on. . . WOW!! This thing lays flat in the corners!! I can’t imagine what it would be like even closer to the bar!! I really want to get this thing out on the road to Artist Point to give it a full workout, but that’ll have to wait until next summer now that the road is closed. The car’s handling is getting closer now to what I wanted it to be so I may have to check with the local track safety requirements so I can hopefully schedule a track day in the spring. I just hope I can wait that long. . .

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 17 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #340

914 Neferati

If'n ya can't wait, just take a couple runs up Mt. Erie. That'll get the adrenaline flowing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:42 AM