Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
aircooledtechguy
post Jul 9 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #361

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Almost a year after I began driving my car after the suspension fender mods, I finally have a mostly complete interior. Better late than never I guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

To keep the Porsche inspired theme going, I decided to make door panels reminiscent of the early 70s RS/RSR racers by deleting the metal door latch and replacing it with a light web strap and Porsche grommet.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1436471701.1.jpg)

Instead of leather covering like a Porsche, I opted for carbon fiber. I infused all the blanks at my buddy Jim's shop Left Coast Development LLC. Then traced out OEM panels and attached them with black oxide screws.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1436471701.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1436471702.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1436471702.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1436471702.5.jpg)

Simple, light weight and un-cluttered. Now I can look at something other than a skeleton door as I drive.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 10 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #362

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Your door panels look good. Do the rigid CF panels rattle or vibrate, or did you dampen them in some way?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jul 10 2015, 04:06 PM
Post #363

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 10 2015, 01:41 PM) *

Do the rigid CF panels rattle or vibrate, or did you dampen them in some way?

I didn't have to dampen them. I bought silicone washers to go under the heads of each screw, but didn't end up using them.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jul 29 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #364

The Aircooledtech Guy

I was getting tired of not having any sun visors this summer. Especially since we are having one of the sunniest summers in a decade or more. I've got some exciting stuff happening at the end of the week, I figured that I had better get these done and on the car.

Originally I planned on having a custom set stitched-up to match the seats. But the upholstery guy flaked out and lost my custom set. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) So I ended up making these at the same time I did the door panel set. I used the same carbon fiber but used a 1/4" core filler to give them some structure and one layer of glass on top of the foam core. I cut them to shape, then painted the backs flat black for anti-glare. I made them so they will fill in around the mirror since as we all know, that's where the sun always is; right where the visors don't cover!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1438184576.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1438184576.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1438184577.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1438184577.4.jpg)

In the near future, I will be adding a mirror to the passenger side to appease my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) but for all intents and purposes, they are a done-deal and work fantastic.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 29 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #365

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

pretty groovy nate.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 30 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #366

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'd like to try running Bonneville some time (bucket list) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll try to jet it for the altitude

Attached Image

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 25 2015, 11:04 AM
Post #367

The Aircooledtech Guy

Just finished the initial break-in on the 2316cc engine my son built last summer. Yeah, not a lot of time to do my own thing since last year but I work better under pressure anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I wanted to run it out of the car first in case any issues came up since it's kind of a pain to work on in the car and not the easiest motor to install or remove. So I bolted up a set of type-4 DCNFs and an 009 dizzy and let it rip for 20 minutes. :twisted: Other than some carb issues :roll: everything went well. I can't wait to dump the carbs and dizzy and get that sweet running MS3X & LS2s on there and begin tuning.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1440522285.1.jpg)

You know what I'll be doing this weekend. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

BTW, the 911 muffler sounds good. It's quieter than my current muffler.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 25 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #368

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Awesome Nate! Can't wait to see the new motor in the car. Then get the report on how it compare's to your old one. Was the old a 2056? I forget
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 25 2015, 11:32 AM
Post #369

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 30 2015, 12:55 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'd like to try running Bonneville some time (bucket list) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll try to jet it for the altitude

Attached Image

Do it!!

This guy showed-up last year in his 911.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I don't know what size the motor was (guessing 2.2/2.4L), but it was an MFI turbo engine that sounded like sh*t. For all the money and time thrown into that car, he only ran about 10mph faster than I did (around 105mph). . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Seriously, I don't think that motor ran on more than 4 cylinders at any given time and they still rolled it up to the line and ran it that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Personally, I would have been embarrassed/scared to run it sounding like it did.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 25 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #370

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(JRust @ Aug 25 2015, 10:21 AM) *

Awesome Nate! Can't wait to see the new motor in the car. Then get the report on how it compare's to your old one. Was the old a 2056? I forget

Yeah, 2056. Bone stock bottom-end and heads with only the flat-top 96mm P&C and the removal of the head gaskets for mods. Bottom-end and heads had around 150K miles on them since 1973.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 27 2015, 04:03 PM
Post #371

The Aircooledtech Guy

At a recent car show, I lifted up the carpet in the rear and noticed a crack in the cargo deck poking out from under the sound mat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Seems as though the constant abuse from my right foot has taken a toll on this area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

After investigation and removal of the sound mat, I discovered a "small crack" had developed that was right along the seam where the air duct is spot welded and some significant flexing of the surrounding area was happening. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1440712983.1.jpg)

So after welding the crack and grinding the welds flat, I cut a 3/32" piece of steel plate that would distribute the load on the right side of the car over a large area spanning both the floor and the air duct. I drilled a couple dozen holes to rosette weld it to the floor and ensure it wasn't just the perimeter holding it all. The plate spans both the floor and the boxed air duct for extra rigidity. I'm much more comfortable now bolting in my race motor that has double the HP of the 2056. . . but I'm still gonna keep a close eye on it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1440712984.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1440712984.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 28 2015, 01:09 AM
Post #372

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I've been a little out of the loop lately but are they still holding a Speed Week this year? I know alot has been canceled so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go on - some folks say yes, others say no... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 28 2015, 06:15 AM
Post #373

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 28 2015, 12:09 AM) *

I've been a little out of the loop lately but are they still holding a Speed Week this year? I know alot has been canceled so it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't go on - some folks say yes, others say no... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The two events put on by SCTA (Speed Week and The World Finals) have both been canceled due to rains and poor salt conditions. The World Finals is not until October, but they already canceled that one a couple weeks ago due to a mud flow that covered part of the long track. They won't hold an event without a long track.

The USFRA's event is World Of Speed and they are still monitoring the conditions. If they can get one or two short tracks out of whats there and if the salt is in good shape, their event is on. I'll find out if we're going NLT Sept 1st. (fingers crossed) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Potash mining has really decimated the salt flats. There used to be a layer of salt 14" thick over most of the flats. Now after 70+ years of mining it's no thicker than about 2" but it's usually only 1/2-1" thick. . .

We may be seeing the end of an era if BLM doesn't get their heads out of their asses and begin to actually start managing and protecting the salt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 28 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #374

Are you running heat exchangers on the 2056?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 28 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #375

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 28 2015, 04:22 PM) *

Are you running heat exchangers on the 2056?

Yes. The 2056 has a set of bus H/E mounted currently since it's my DD. I used to run a set of type4 H/Es but they just didn't give much heat.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 30 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #376

The Aircooledtech Guy

I got good news and bad news. . .

Good news: The new race motor that Josh built is in and it sounds GOOOOOOOD!!

https://youtu.be/KUBwnmRAI0Y

Bad news: about 1/2 hour after me and my buddy got it stuffed and hooked up, we found out that World of Speed 2015 has been canceled!! :evil: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Back to the good news, . . . So I've got a full year to get it dyno tuned and fully broken-in. :wink:
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 31 2015, 07:24 AM
Post #377

That sounds really good. Nice work josh! Interesting that the HEs will support that large displacement. When does josh get his driver's licence?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 8 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #378

The Aircooledtech Guy

I spend yesterday playing with the injection system on the car. I was having some sync issues and it traced back to the hall sensor/36-1 wheel clearance. So I closed that gap a bit and BAM!! I was off to the races!!

I like to test drive on the street outside my shop since it's a down hill coast to the shop if I run into any issues and get stranded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have to say that Josh nailed this build and knocked one out of the park!! It pulls like a freight train and with the extended reving this motor has, I can now do in 3rd gear what I could do in 4th before!! Needless to say, I was never able to get it into 4th on my test launches 'cause the road just isn't long enough.

It's a great street motor. It's docile and compliant like any stock motor,. . . until you mash the gas!! I look forward to it being fully broke-in since it'll be even more powerful then!! Mario Velotta from www.thedubshop.net is coming to the shop on the 15th for some fine tuning. She's ready!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 8 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #379

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 31 2015, 06:24 AM) *

That sounds really good. Nice work josh! Interesting that the HEs will support that large displacement. When does josh get his driver's licence?

No HE on this motor. Just the 4 into 1 header into the banana can. I'll be on seat heaters ONLY with this motor installed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Sep 26 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #380

The Aircooledtech Guy

While I await a set of push rod tube extensions (the cause of the leak), I'm relegated to only short trips around the local area. Still no real tuning opportunities so the tune is rough, but completely driveable. I warmed her up and took my friend for a short jaunt up the street and back so he could feel the new motor compared to the last one.

https://youtu.be/KPTj6_NLhto

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:06 AM