Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
rhodyguy
post Sep 26 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #381

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Was that red car @ 1:28 a t-3? Fast car Nate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 13 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #382

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Had an acquaintance take some low-res cell phone video of the Squarsche the other night. If you've wondered what a 2.7L Bischoff banana can sounds like on a big-4, here's how it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea7b28DxnoE...e=youtube_gdata
+Quote Post
euro911
post Dec 13 2015, 10:18 PM
Post #383

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Sounds great (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Dec 13 2015, 10:59 PM
Post #384

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Awesome+innovative square back ,great work !
I was watching some footage of last year's Carrera Panamera down Mexico way. The gal who was the co- driver of a 356 in the 2 liter class, stated that she was running a type 4. Also stated that they kept it below 140 mph as it got "Light" and started lifting. Guess that any aero aids are not allowed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Type 4s in a 356 are a bonified Outlaw as well...quick too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 14 2015, 09:55 AM
Post #385

The Aircooledtech Guy

Prior to the flex-dam, this car would get noticeably light at around 100-105mph which made things get interesting quick. Now, it's solid at high speeds.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 14 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #386

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

What's the high-pitched sound we hear after the car is started? Fan? Alternator belt?

Sounds very nice at speed!

--DD
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 14 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #387

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 14 2015, 08:04 AM) *

What's the high-pitched sound we hear after the car is started? Fan? Alternator belt?

Sounds very nice at speed!

--DD

Straight-cut cam gears.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Dec 14 2015, 11:53 PM
Post #388

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Aug 25 2015, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 30 2015, 12:55 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I'd like to try running Bonneville some time (bucket list) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll try to jet it for the altitude

Do it!!

This guy showed-up last year in his 911.

I don't know what size the motor was (guessing 2.2/2.4L), but it was an MFI turbo engine that sounded like sh*t. For all the money and time thrown into that car, he only ran about 10mph faster than I did (around 105mph). . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Seriously, I don't think that motor ran on more than 4 cylinders at any given time and they still rolled it up to the line and ran it that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Personally, I would have been embarrassed/scared to run it sounding like it did.

His name is Tom Woodford, from Nevada somewhere. Was from NJ a long time ago.
He owns a 914 6 that is race/rally prepared in tan and red with Hedonism sponsorship all over it.
I think the 6 is or was for sale recently,
Mark Epstein has had contact with him ?
I've never met him.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 15 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #389

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Just checked out your video (about time I'd guess!). Wow that's some acceleration! So that's what you're going to run at Bonneville next year? That's gonna turn some heads for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 15 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #390

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 14 2015, 09:53 PM) *

He owns a 914 6 that is race/rally prepared in tan and red with Hedonism sponsorship all over it.
I think the 6 is or was for sale recently,

It's been for sale since before it was finished... It started at an absurd price, and has probably gone up from there. But the market may be starting to catch up with it...

--DD
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 16 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #391

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I met Tom at the Rennsport Reunion V at Laguna Seca. His car frequently goes to events. Nice guy, has a shop in Winnimucka, NV

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 17 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #392

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Car needs a couple more lights.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Dec 17 2015, 09:01 AM
Post #393

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 17 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Car needs a couple more lights.

. . . and horns.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 17 2015, 09:12 AM
Post #394

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

How cool is that! Your car sounds great! My first car was a '70 squareback that my parents bought new 2-weeks prior to my birth. They gave it to me 16-years later. Best damn heater ever created - it could start fires!

T
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 10 2016, 02:16 PM
Post #395

The Aircooledtech Guy

January 9th, Josh & I headed down to Evergreen speedway to test & tune at the Auto-X. This was to be our maiden outing with the new motor that Josh built and the stable of extra ponies it has. Other than my poor driving skills, the car performed great and while cold (mid-40s), the weather was PERFECT and sunny. The day was not without it's minor issues though. . .

1. I haven't driven the car in almost 2 months because of the really cold weather and the car currently has no heat. So I forgot to re-adjust the shift linkage and it was a bit sticky going from 2nd to 3rd making it easy to accidentally shift into 5th. This made coming out onto the front straight at the end rather tricky and several shifts there were missed there throughout the day which really effected the lap times. My fault; not the car. Compared to the last time though, my speeds through the start/stop line at the end went up by 15mph with the new motor, so the acceleration is really improved.

2. I do much of my "tuning runs" at night since they are not exactly legal. I found out today in the light of day that above 4.5-5K rpms, my exhaust vacuum breather system pulls a lot of oil vapor directly into my muffler. It's like flipping on the "007 smoke screen". . . :evil: Embarrassing, but not a big deal and a simple fix. I never noticed that was happening until I drove it hard in the day light. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Later in the day, I removed and capped the exhaust vent, and Viola!! No smoke. :roll: :wink:

3. I have got to migrate more weight to the front and put this gal on a diet in the rear. My Lexan windows are going in. I also need to add front camber and a new set of front tires. I found that stiffening the front made under-steer worse, so I softened-up the Konis in the front and she began to hook better in the corners.

I did have a couple incidents that were a bit scary. The R-rear tire drifted out on a corner on one run when Mario Velotta from the dubshop.net was riding with me and it hit a massive pot-hole on the edge of the track. At first I thought I had blown a tire or at the least bent a rim with the impact. Luckily no damage to anything. #-o If you want to see his video he shot of the run, check out The Dub Shop facebook page. . . :oops: The other incident was on the next run and I was giving Rob a ride. Apparently I need to add a handle for passengers to hold onto. He thought the red strap on the door would be a good place to hold on. He quickly opened the door while going through the slalom section. So every left-hander, the door would fly open with him holding onto the loop wondering what was going on. I had a short straight after a 90degree right-hander and told him "let go of the strap" while leaning over and shutting the door. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) We laughed our asses off about that the rest of the run!!

Here's a few shots from the day with videos to follow. . .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456964.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456965.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456965.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456965.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456966.5.jpg)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 11 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #396

The Aircooledtech Guy

I don't think it gets any closer than this. . . When I drifted the R-rear off the track, I took a hit to the deep sump and spun it about 15 degrees!! I am freakin' AMAZED that this thing did not/is not leaking!!! The wheel faired just fine in the ordeal. A skid plate may be in order or fast-tracking the dry sump system!!

Here's a short video. The rear view in the middle is the run I drifted into the hole at the track edge. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTaFLv9bKuU

Here's the damage. I dodged a bullet on that one!!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 17 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #397

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1452456966.5.jpg)

Nate, I love the wagon and enjoy updates on your build. However, I think you might need a stiffer front anti-sway bar... looks like you're about to rub the door handle off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 17 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #398

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

(Dave_Darling @ Dec 14 2015, 08:04 AM) *
--DD

Straight-cut cam gears.

Tell us more. Why did you go that way during your build vs Helical and what did you hope to achieve (besides the added noise)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Are you happy w/choice or have regrets?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jan 17 2016, 11:33 PM
Post #399

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 17 2016, 07:07 PM) *

(Dave_Darling @ Dec 14 2015, 08:04 AM) *
--DD

Straight-cut cam gears.

Tell us more. Why did you go that way during your build vs Helical and what did you hope to achieve (besides the added noise)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Are you happy w/choice or have regrets?

Reduced parasitic loss compared to the stock helical gears = less HP required to turn the cam against the dual springs. This will enable more HP to get to the ground. Another benefit is that it does not load and wear the thrust surfaces on the cam bearings.

QUOTE(strawman @ Jan 17 2016, 06:57 PM) *

Nate, I love the wagon and enjoy updates on your build. However, I think you might need a stiffer front anti-sway bar... looks like you're about to rub the door handle off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The sway bar I have is a 1" hollow bar with 28 way adjust-ability. Currently it's about in the middle. I will be using a slightly stiffer setting next time. There is a balance though between stiff/soft and under/over steer.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Feb 8 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #400

The Aircooledtech Guy

Spent another fun and exciting day at the track auto-X'ing the Squarsche. For those of you PNW guys who actually *DRIVE* your cars, this is a great place to learn car control and it's only $50!! Since my last outing I had repaired the sump, changed over to Mobil-1 full synthetic oil, moved the rev-limiter up from 5.6K to 6.5K, added 2 degrees of camber and re-set the toe on the front and beefed-up my left rear engine mount area since it had begun to crack like the right side did earlier (I knew that was coming).

These mods (mainly the camber/toe adjustments and the rev limiter) helped shave almost 2 seconds off my times. The track was similar, but they changed the gates through the slalom section which tested my sight/muscle memory/control a lot. Read that: I blew a lot of gates in the morning getting my rhythm on the course. It never rained, but was cool (mid 40F low 50s) and was clear by the end of the event; PERFECT!!

With a real set of sticky tires, I could probably shave another 2-3 seconds off my times easy. The tires I have now are almost bald on the fronts (maybe a 1/16"<) and just need to be wider & stickier to keep the rear-end under control. I never thought 235/40s would not be enough, but I think I'm going to have to step-up to 225/45 & 255/40s when I buy the sticky set. But better tire$ will have to wait unfortunately. I love going to Evergreen Speedway for these events. We had 71 cars show-up in total and i still got 17 runs. It's all about the seat-time. :twisted: Here's a couple shots from Saturday's action.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952077.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952079.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952079.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952079.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952080.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1454952080.6.jpg)

Here's a video of one of my cleaner, faster runs and also a not-so-clean one ride-a-long with Craig M. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbXN7MYIdY
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:31 AM