Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

23 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Working on my shop car, The wagon Porsche never built. . .
aircooledtechguy
post Mar 2 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #401

The Aircooledtech Guy

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just got word from Mario Velotta from thedubshp.net that I'm scheduled for a dyno session on Friday!! WooHoo!! I finally get more than an in-car tune and I'll get the fuel and spark properly tuned. It's going on an eddy current dyno so we will be able to get it tuned under virtually any load/RPM combination and not just WOT. It's really close now but I need to get the acceleration enrichment dialed in better especially with the muffler off.

Tomorrow, I'm installing a switch and wiring that I'll need to start using what's called "table switching" What this will allow me to do is when I go to the track and pull off the muffler and install the straight pipe, I can flip that switch and the Megasquirt will switch to a completely different VE table (and possibly spark & ARF table, but I can't remember exactly), so with that loss of back pressure, the motor will be perfectly tuned for it. Then when I replace the muffler, I can switch back to a street tune that's optimized for the added back pressure of the muffler.

I'll also be adding launch control switches too to aid in getting off the line better.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

^^^^^^^^^

That's me doing the happy dance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Mar 2 2016, 10:39 PM
Post #402

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

ARF?? So you're saying it will be a dog? After all the work you've put into this build it oughta scream like a banshee once you get that AFR figured out! Finally put down some real numbers and hit Bonneville running great!
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #403

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I can't wait to see this in person finally at WCR Nate! So damn cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 3 2016, 12:13 AM
Post #404

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 2 2016, 07:10 PM) *

Oh man! Some things can't be unseen...even if they're just mental pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Mar 3 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #405

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 2 2016, 10:13 PM) *

Oh man! Some things can't be unseen...even if they're just mental pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

So,. . . You're saying to DO fantasize about about big, ugly, middle-aged guys and what sets you off is seeing a banana in a sailor hat????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I still like hanging out with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 3 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #406

914 Neferati

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Mar 3 2016, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 2 2016, 10:13 PM) *

So,. . . You're saying to DO fantasize about about big, ugly, middle-aged guys and what sets you off is seeing a banana in a sailor hat????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I still like hanging out with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

See...this is the problem...

Attached Image

I'll never get to sleep again.

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Mar 20 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #407

The Aircooledtech Guy

Yesterday I headed down to Ozzy Motorsports for a dyno day event they were having. Pretty cool time. It was a very un-nerving experience though since one of their shop yahoos had to operate the car on the dyno and not me. I've only had my son and 2 of my closest, most trusted friends ever operate my car and I was in the car with them. . . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Anyway, it passed pre-run inspection no problem and they got it strapped-on.

It laid down about what I thought it would. 150 RWHP with a calculated 180+/- at the crank. I ran it with the muffler removed and the straight pipe on. Since the dyno was in the center of the shop, it was freaking loud!! 6500 rpm goodness. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO5z8WabXZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO5z8WabXZ8
+Quote Post
messix
post Mar 20 2016, 03:08 PM
Post #408

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

nice
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 20 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #409

914 Neferati

Sounds like about 120 on The Salt to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Mar 21 2016, 07:22 AM
Post #410

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 20 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Sounds like about 120 on The Salt to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Exactly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Must force-feed, must force-feed. . .
+Quote Post
messix
post Mar 21 2016, 07:45 PM
Post #411

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

60lbs of bottled n2o
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Apr 19 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #412

The Aircooledtech Guy

Yesterday evening the weather was so beautiful around here with temps in the upper 70s, so Josh and I just had to go for a cruise. He's learning to drive a stick, so what better way to learn than with the Squarsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) We traveled the back roads of north Whidbey Island from Oak Harbor down to Greenbank and back enjoying the views. Here's a few shots that will make it easy to see why I live up here in this area. . .

At Flintstone park, Oak Harbor looking toward the Seaplane base:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077098.1.jpg)

At City Beach in Oak Harbor:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077098.2.jpg)

At the north end of West Beach looking toward the San Juan Islands:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077098.3.jpg)

At a random park on West Beach Drive:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077098.4.jpg)

At Ebey's Landing:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077099.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461077099.6.jpg)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Apr 19 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #413

914 Neferati

Wow, Josh is rally growing up. How long before he can take you?

Great scenery BTW. I'm almost ready to fire my rebuilt Subie so I can get the Westy out for some cruising. Maybe I'll come see you during the break-in.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Apr 21 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #414

The Aircooledtech Guy

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 19 2016, 02:26 PM) *

Wow, Josh is rally growing up. How long before he can take you?

Great scenery BTW. I'm almost ready to fire my rebuilt Subie so I can get the Westy out for some cruising. Maybe I'll come see you during the break-in.

Take me?? He probably could now, but don't say nuthin'. I've got him convinced it's never!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) He's right about 6'+ 200# now. . . Man I'm old. . .

+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Apr 21 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #415

The Aircooledtech Guy

I doubt that the rear seat will ever go back in. Nobody ever sat back there and you really needed to be either under 5y/o or a double amputee above the knee to fit anyway. . . So I boxed it in.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1461267498.1.jpg)

I had enough extra carbon fiber from my door panels to make a matching box. I used 1/2" foam core to give it rigidity and still keep it light. I think the whole box weighs around 6#. Compare that to the seats which are somewhere in the 40-50#+ range.

It's actually not finished yet. I plan to cut about 6' from each side and hinge the middle from the rear to access everything underneath. I have it all one piece for now since I won't have that finished before Springmeet on Sunday.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 27 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #416

The Aircooledtech Guy

Josh & I finally got a chance to get the Squarsche out on a true and legendary road course this past Friday. We signed-up for the SCCA Track Night out at Pacific Raceway (it'll always be Seattle International Raceway or SIR to me) and had a great time.

The night was uneventful for us, but was very expensive for a couple folks. A guy in a late model Porsche 911 GT2 skidded off and ruined a set of wheels and tool out his front bumper, left-side radiator and lots under the car. Fixable, but it'll cost him. A guy in an '05 Z-06 Vette right behind me lost it in the first 200 yards (!!) on cold tires and impacted the wall @ around 75-80mph before bouncing across and OVER the other wall and coming to rest in a heap on the drag strip. Paddy-wagon came and he was fine, but the car was a total loss. Anywho. . .

We needed to run this event with our full muffler on which meant we were down a bit on power plus it was running a bit lean @ WOT and you could feel the car hesitating in places, but overall it ran good. I ordered a set of race tires (Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2s), but they didn't come in time for this event, so I ran it on my ragged-out Sumitomos and they worked fine, but I was extra cautious in areas because of them. I was fully expecting brake fade to set-in, but it never did and was very happy about that.

On the last session, I told Josh to hop in and we'll let them tell us that he couldn't ride along,. . . No one did!! So he got to have some fun too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAGGP_fN4I
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jun 27 2016, 09:29 AM
Post #417

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jun 27 2016, 11:20 AM) *

Josh & I finally got a chance to get the Squarsche out on a true and legendary road course this past Friday. We signed-up for the SCCA Track Night out at Pacific Raceway (it'll always be Seattle International Raceway or SIR to me) and had a great time.

The night was uneventful for us, but was very expensive for a couple folks. A guy in a late model Porsche 911 GT2 skidded off and ruined a set of wheels and tool out his front bumper, left-side radiator and lots under the car. Fixable, but it'll cost him. A guy in an '05 Z-06 Vette right behind me lost it in the first 200 yards (!!) on cold tires and impacted the wall @ around 75-80mph before bouncing across and OVER the other wall and coming to rest in a heap on the drag strip. Paddy-wagon came and he was fine, but the car was a total loss. Anywho. . .

We needed to run this event with our full muffler on which meant we were down a bit on power plus it was running a bit lean @ WOT and you could feel the car hesitating in places, but overall it ran good. I ordered a set of race tires (Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2s), but they didn't come in time for this event, so I ran it on my ragged-out Sumitomos and they worked fine, but I was extra cautious in areas because of them. I was fully expecting brake fade to set-in, but it never did and was very happy about that.

On the last session, I told Josh to hop in and we'll let them tell us that he couldn't ride along,. . . No one did!! So he got to have some fun too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAGGP_fN4I

Great video--thanks for posting. Looks like you had a great time! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Also looks like the track has stayed about the same over the years (a good thing)--is there still a bump at the end of the long straight going into that left turn? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks again!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 27 2016, 09:59 AM
Post #418

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Yes, the rise is still there. The down hill run to the back section still results in carnage too.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 27 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #419

The Aircooledtech Guy

Nasty series if bumps @ turn 9 coming onto the straight is a car killer as is turn 1. 5B is sneaky too since you get light @ the apex and there's no real run-off. The Vette lost it on 9 and the GT2 lost it on 5B. I was getting a big light in the ass-end out of 1 which is pucker-time since you're well north of 100mph.

Super good time!!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 27 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #420

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

In the old configuration, where the course USED to dump onto the drag strip and the drivers had to cross the starting line, I watched a real gt40 get loose on some oil laid down by a previous car. The gt Driver almost saved it. Almost. Broadsided into one of the jersey barriers. The collective groan was sort of funny.
+Quote Post

23 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:37 AM