Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I want to save her..., from the crusher
DrifterJay
post Aug 22 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #21

I break stuff...

Group: Members
Member No.: 737
Region Association: None

put the crack pipe down and step away from the little girl (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sanglee007
post Aug 22 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #22

Unregistered

Hey! That fool looks like me stealing that red 914!!!

now...if I can get some time to get my 76 running...or get a chassis from a 70-73 (smog sux) for my parts, then I could actually drive my 914 more than a block at a time... the problem being that my 76 has was looks like a really good chassis, only rust so far is surface and the rear part of the back trunk, which of course can be poked through.

oh well...

Sang
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Aug 22 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #23

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

probably the worst rusted longs I have seen.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 22 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #24

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

RUN!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Too much work. Part it out or save it for your own parts car.

Paul
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Aug 22 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #25

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Wow, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Parts car maybe? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Aug 22 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #26

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

I'm getting the impression GWN7 is either the only one crazy enough to encourage or take on a car this far gone, or he has some dislike for me and is trying to sabotoge the rest of my life by encouraging this... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What I'm going to do for now is get the car to my house, and at least get the rust off of it. If it turns out to be too much, which it probably will, he'll take the car back, and I'll I'll be out is some of my time... no big deal.

if anyone sees a good roller in the midwest, or knows of someone coming through Nebraska with a truckload of tubs... email me! That would really help my final decision
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 22 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #27

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Brad Roberts is coming from California to Indy in October. He's looking for someone to pay for gas by hauling a car/tub out.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 22 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Brad has cars and has offered to haul one to some lucky club member. He has everything from real nice to roller. He even posted he has a silver car. Save the one pictured here for parts.
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Aug 22 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #29

Check it out... 3 loops!

Thanks guys, i sent brad an email. Hopefully he can hook me up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Aug 22 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #30

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(vortrex @ Aug 22 2004, 06:21 AM)
the things are a dime a dozen and in 10x better shape than this one.

I'll take six of them, where do I send the nickle! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Yeah, that one is way worse than my '75. I had to drive all the way to Lexington, KY to get my rust-free CA car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 22 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #31

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nope not crazy (well not compleatly) and I never met you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It sounded like you wanted to save it and all I did was point out the $$ involved. The rest of the car looks in not bad shape from the pictures shown. It sounds like you have the skills to try and save it and were looking for a project, so I said go for it.

No it not a "6" or a special car, but as it has been pointed out before there are less and less of these cars around due to there age. Some cars aren't worth saving, they are just too far gone. The salt/rust demons have taken the heart out of them and it is a case of "where would you start" to repair them. From what we have been shown, this one looks like a candidate for redemption. Once he gets into it, it might not be.......

I bought a fairly rust free roller in Nevada 2 years ago for my V8 project. The car cost me $440 and another $1000 or so (I don't include what I lost at the tables while in Nevada) to go get it and bring it home. Along with 8 days in the truck or so, there and back.

Figure out the materials cost (done) add into it the tools cost (done) and add your time to do the work (?) Add the pleasure you will get once it is finished, knowing you did the work and compare it to buying a roller and having it delivered. I'm betting cash outlay cost will be the same or close and you will have to do a lot of work on the new car also.

If you decide you don't want it, let me know and I might take it off your hands. I'll stick it up at the farm with the 71 and work on it when I have time and room at home.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jwade
post Aug 22 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 340

Along the same lines, I saw a straight apparently rust free tub at Alden Bros wrecking
yard in Sun Valley Ca the day before yesterday. It had a nice set of fiberglass flares
and the cutouts in the front trunk for a Renagade conversion. Everything else was
already gone.

It looks as though someone put a lot of work into the flares and then got tired (or died)
and the car wound up on the junk heap.

What a shame! Too bad someone couldn't save it. I wish I had the time/room/money to
do it myself.

john
+Quote Post
indydad
post Aug 23 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 578

John,
You have an opportunity to learn a lot of skills and have something the "Check Writer" collectors can't understand. Something YOU did and the pride in doing it. The nay sayers may be passing on their experiences and are valuable to consider, but they are NOT you and they do NOT live in YOUR world.
GO FOR IT
Learn
Experience
Create
LIVE YOUR LIFE
GOOD LUCK

old dan in INDY
+Quote Post
indydad
post Aug 24 2004, 05:34 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 578

There................I killed ANOTHER thread. What a bunch!

old dad is OUT
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Mar 1 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #35

Check it out... 3 loops!

I finally did something! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)

From my Progress Blog:

I spent 45 minutes today building a brace to keep the dimensions of the car while it's up on stands and I'm cutting the rust out. I used some of the small rectangular metal pieces that you use in fencing welded onto a turnbuckle. The whole unit is welded from a door bolt to a seatbelt bolt.

My welds were pretty sucky at first, but once I got a little practice and got the CO2 flowing, they cleaned up a bit.

Next step is to get it up on all 4 stands high enough that I'll be able to get to everything I need to. It's a little difficult finding places solid enough to support the stands, but I'll make something work.

(IMG:http://bryan.e4industries.net/galleries/data/media/4/MVC-002F-1.jpg)
Sorry, the picture's not the best... It's dark out there now and there's not a ton of room to maneuver yet.

That's all for now. I'm gettin' a little more motivated, boys! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 1 2005, 08:07 PM
Post #36

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

EASY GOING on the welding. You do too much at one time and you'll end up with a Porsche pretzel! Bad part is, you won't know it till you go to hang the doors on it and BAM all that time wasted (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Mar 1 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 2,432

i always thought that the best car was a rusty car, you can just cut it out and put in perfect new panels w/o regret...my car has very little rust left and it still drives me nuts! Little tiny holes in the darndest places. If you are up to it get started.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:36 PM