Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transaxle oil cooler pumps
naro914
post Sep 18 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #61

Losing my mind...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

I hadn't heard that the Tilton had a 2 hour duty limit. Shouldn't be a problem, but I found that I HAVE to run the pump now...it seems that the trans fluid is bubbling up through the vent and into the trunk area (where my vent goes to) if I don't run the pump...

You technically overfill the transmission with fluid so you can fill the pump, lines and cooler...which all drain back into the case when not running. I'll probably move to Swepco or something synthetic once I know everything is working right...still dealing with an issue in the trans and had to take the engine out because of a BIG oil leak...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 18 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #62

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I finished my complete install and will be testing it (with a gauge) at coronado this weekend...

an experienced porsche race shop recommended running the pump at all times to the ignition switch for exactly the reasons you describe.

the trans is overfilled and only by running the pump does it drop down to the correct fluid level.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 18 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #63

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 18 2012, 06:51 PM) *

I hadn't heard that the Tilton had a 2 hour duty limit.

...which all drain back into the case when not running.

The time limit was something a vendor told me and normally it wouldn't be a problem except in a street car during long trips. But he also said they were working on a constant-duty version of the same pump. Don't know how that turned out since I went with the gear pump which, in a perfect world won't take any maintenance. Considering we can hear our pumps so clearly I figure it won't be hard to hear when one of them fails! About the backflow, I did two things to make my system not dump much back into the case.

First there is a sensitive backflow valve at the pump inlet. RB Racing even has one that triggers at .5 lbs. Mine (Steuby Engineering) triggers at 1.2 lbs which is fine at it's height. The second is that my cooler is vertical, so it will never dump it's oil into the case. So far I have no pukeage at the vent, but I haven't done any track days either. I'll report back on that. I still haven't installed the overflow tank because the car is in the shop for bodywork and paint.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 19 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #64

Is that a Lola?

Double post deleted...
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 19 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #65

914 Wizard

I added pictures of my finished cooler install into my build thread
I put a gauge in and ducting so we will soon know what its doing
looking forward to arriving at coronado Island tomorrow and testing it out.......

my last tranny died after 25 hours so it was time to try something

my cooler install here
+Quote Post
moggy
post Sep 20 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 3,285

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 19 2012, 04:55 PM) *

looking forward to arriving at coronado Island tomorrow and testing it out.......

my cooler install here

Great job Brant (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

What pump did you use? Would be great to hear how your testing goes. A temperature comparison test back to back would be great, one with the pump on one with it off to see how much the arrangement is cooling everything by.

I'm gonna take a look at my car today to see where I can mount my cooler. I can't put it where yours is as the silencer is in the standard location, and I've cut out the heat shield for weight saving so it gets real hot right there. Hot enough to melt plastic ( ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 20 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #67

Is that a Lola?

Nice build Brant. Specs on that pump from your pix. SHURflow 8000-543-936.

http://www.hypropumps.com/FileAttachments/...HURfloPumps.pdf
+Quote Post
moggy
post Sep 20 2012, 02:45 PM
Post #68

Hey, Ron. What was the part number of the pump you got from RB Racing, I'm gonna go with their pump. They seem to know their shit. I like the way they talk on their website, right up my street.

Cheers

Moggy
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 20 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #69

Is that a Lola?

QUOTE(moggy @ Sep 20 2012, 03:45 PM) *

Hey, Ron. What was the part number of the pump you got from RB Racing,

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm (table at the bottom of the page)

Mine's an 03-1034 which is the middle performance model. But I see their photos above the table at the bottom of the webpage have changed to show only two pumps. I wonder if they've stopped selling one of them since they're wholesaling out to Mocal now. I bought mine last Christmas and got it a few days before the new year. It was a surprise because they told me I wouldn't get it until a few weeks into the new year.

One thing to think about is that it comes standard with ORB/NPT fittings which I took off thinking I would use -8/ORB fittings to save space. But I couldn't find any from any source but RB. So I tapped out the pump boss on the exit side for an NPT -8AN fitting to keep the footprint a bit smaller. You can see that in the pic of the pump plumbing. It was not straightforward since I had to shorten the tap (3/8-18 NPT) so it didn't bottom out in the boss. The threads are close enough that they didn't get mangled at all... I checked that first.

The NPT/-AN adapters take up a lot of real estate so if you're cramped they will sell you the pump with -8/ORB fittings already installed.

Also this pump doesn't have an internal backflow valve and theirs is really sensitive. My pump is located high enough that I knew the 1.2lb valve would engage. I just thought they were a little proud of it for my taste.

They were helpful in the only question I asked, which was if the pump specs were the same if I ran it backwards... the answer was yes.

Good Luck
+Quote Post
moggy
post Sep 27 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #70

my cooler install here

Brant

How did the testing go? any feedback, learnings... good and/or bad

Cheers

Moggy
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 27 2012, 10:52 PM
Post #71

914 Wizard

things went really well
I did not play with different ducting/routing.
I was at sea level so it should have been cooling as well as possible with the current set up.

I ran 20degrees cooler than motor oil every time
the highest I saw all weekend was 230 degrees oil and 210 trans.

but I did not move the duct to see what improvement was to be had.

One thing I did decide, is that I must have been much hotter at altitude, with 2 drivers, and a 30degree higher ambiant temp.

I can only guess that I must have been 250-270...ish on the day I blew the trans in July.

brant

QUOTE(moggy @ Sep 27 2012, 01:37 PM) *

my cooler install here

Brant

Cheers

Moggy
+Quote Post
moggy
post Sep 28 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 27 2012, 08:52 PM) *

things went really well
I did not play with different ducting/routing.
I was at sea level so it should have been cooling as well as possible with the current set up.

I ran 20degrees cooler than motor oil every time
the highest I saw all weekend was 230 degrees oil and 210 trans.

but I did not move the duct to see what improvement was to be had.

One thing I did decide, is that I must have been much hotter at altitude, with 2 drivers, and a 30degree higher ambiant temp.

I can only guess that I must have been 250-270...ish on the day I blew the trans in July.

brant

QUOTE(moggy @ Sep 27 2012, 01:37 PM) *

my cooler install here

Brant

Cheers

Moggy

Thanks Brant

Great feedback (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 10 2013, 08:52 PM
Post #73

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

Hi, great thread. I am gathering the pieces now for my cooler install. I am still on the fence about using squirters/spraybar or just dumping the oil from the cooler into the differential end of the trans. I will use the drain plug as my pickup. What are you guys using for a spraybar/nozzels? I was thinking nozzles from a pressure washer might work. They seem to come in a variety of different spray patterns. Honestly i really have know idea what to use or how many. Anybody have any photos of your spraybar/nozzles? If there is another thread covering this please forgive me.
+Quote Post
moggy
post Jan 11 2013, 03:33 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 10 2013, 06:52 PM) *

Hi, great thread. I am gathering the pieces now for my cooler install. I am still on the fence about using squirters/spraybar or just dumping the oil from the cooler into the differential end of the trans. I will use the drain plug as my pickup. What are you guys using for a spraybar/nozzels? I was thinking nozzles from a pressure washer might work. They seem to come in a variety of different spray patterns. Honestly i really have know idea what to use or how many. Anybody have any photos of your spraybar/nozzles? If there is another thread covering this please forgive me.

What's your application? racing? if so what kind? LSD diff if so what kind?

Here's some updated pics of my install all finished:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1357939975.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1357939976.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1357939977.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jan 11 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #75

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you for the photos. What I am really after are pictures of the spray bar inside the trans....Right now my car is my daily driver with a 1.8L/4. I live in the Socal desert so my car sees daily high speed and high revs in crazy hi ambient temps. I am building a spare 901 right now. And after finding out the incredible prices for bearings, syncros, sliders, and dog teeth I have no problem spending an extra 700 bucks for a cooling system. I want this gearbox to live as long as possible. The plan is to go to a six cylinder in the near future.

Anyways. After doing some research there are a few areas I need to try to get the cool gear oil to. That would be the 4/5 syncros and the main shaft bearings.
+Quote Post
moggy
post Jan 12 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #76

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 11 2013, 06:10 PM) *

Thank you for the photos. What I am really after are pictures of the spray bar inside the trans....Right now my car is my daily driver with a 1.8L/4. I live in the Socal desert so my car sees daily high speed and high revs in crazy hi ambient temps. I am building a spare 901 right now. And after finding out the incredible prices for bearings, syncros, sliders, and dog teeth I have no problem spending an extra 700 bucks for a cooling system. I want this gearbox to live as long as possible. The plan is to go to a six cylinder in the near future.

Anyways. After doing some research there are a few areas I need to try to get the cool gear oil to. That would be the 4/5 syncros and the main shaft bearings.

You honestly don't need one. It is a waste of time and money for you, spend the effort elsewhere. You only need a gearbox system like this if you have an LSD you are working hard on track and you are on track racing for sustained duration. A street driven car will not need a system like this, even in the desert. If you are building a spare 901 (for whatever reason) just build it well. Job done. Hope this helps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jan 12 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #77

914 Wizard

I agree with Moogy.
limited slip differentials create heat
especially when the car is ran as hard as possible.

On track the engine is wound between 6000-7000rpm for 30 minutes straight and shifting 20times every 2 miles. The tranny is constantly under accelation load. There is no highway "cruising" going on

I wouldn't bother on the street
you are only adding weight at that point. Weight in the worse place (the rear) and weight that does nothing advantageous.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:25 AM