Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to cut perfect holes in sheetmetal???, need vents on rear trunk lid....
Mueller
post Aug 24 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

body work is not my strong suit...so, I need some help or recommendations for adding holes with very clean edges....location is in the red (trunk lid)

I have an air-nibbler, but I think it would make a terrible cut for something like this

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 24 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Air nibbler.. cutting wheel.. and something to clean it up a bit..

I've used the air nibbler with great success... Except when the sheet metal is double walled.. then you use the cutting wheel.. Then you use the cutting wheel or something like that (dont rember what its called) to finish it up...

PS.... Why the vents? Kinda gets rid of the "targa top holder" function of the rear trunk...

Oh ya, I just did the Dizzy hole for the v8 yesterday using this.. But I used a drill as well for starting..
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Aug 24 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

make a rough cut, then file to perfection? Of course, that's just my professional opinion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Jen
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Aug 24 2004, 12:14 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Jigsaw with fine toothed metal blades.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 24 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Alot of the MGA guys take thier hoods and have them louvered (sp). Professional shop can do this for small amount of $.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 24 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

For a perfect hole that big in one pass: a huge shearing press that takes up most of a room. For a perfect hole with hand tools, something powered to cut the rough hole, a hand-nibbler to get nearly the exact dimensions, then a file to smooth the edges.

btw, if this is for the radiator in the trunk idea, I'd REALLY STRONGLY recommend you start with holes in the badge panel, and only put holes in the trunk lid when it's clear that's not enough. Some fascinating airflow studies done many years ago on racebikes by a brilliant gent named John Brittain showed that, with proper ducting, very small holes can be used to flow a LOT of air. He was doing this to provide radiator airflow with low drag (smaller inlet and outlet holes allowing the rest of the bodywork to be smaller). Drag really isn't a factor here, but if you can show that you can get adequate flow for a radiator without putting holes in the trunk lid, that would be very good to know. It certainly reduces the need for tidy bodywork.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Aug 24 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #7

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Definitely a jig saw with fine toothed blades. Don't even try a nibbler or cutting wheel. Tape out the shape you want to cut and then cut away. You will be surprised how nice it will cut with a jig saw with sharp blades. Then use a file to clean it up.

Demick
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Aug 24 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,533

If a plasma cutter is not in your repertoire...

I've always preferred thin cut-off wheels on an angle grinders because the blade gives me guide of sorts. Use a hole saw at the corners. I prefer variable speed pneumatics grinders because they bog down when the workpiece binds, rather than jumping the cut and jittering across the surface you're trying to keep.

I'd scribe lines in the paint, and use a heavy masking tape as a cutting line, tape on part to be kept. AND, as usual, cover any glass or paint don't want permantently speckled.

I think I'd also get a very long file, and dress the egdes, if you need straight lines. I'd cut from the top, but when filing, I'd put the trunk upside down on a sawhorse, and use the edge of the sawhorse to 'back-up' the metal to keep if from bending, vibrating.

If for cooling, I like the louvers idea too, as well as the badge panel idea. The key is to have high pressure on one side, low pressure on the other, airflow is a result.
+Quote Post
andys
post Aug 24 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

IMO, regardless of edge quality, you'll end up with long unsupported edges of thin sheetmetal; not good. Rolling these edges would help tremendously, and yeild much needed rigidity (a folded edge would make it go flat, but you could hammer it back to shape, I suppose). It is not easy to accomplish this (to maintain straightness and trunk lid contour), but would result in a finished look, rather than an abrupt edge.

Andy
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 24 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #10

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Photolithography and acid etching should give nice results. Might take a while to go through all that metal though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I agree with Jenny's suggestion of cutting first with a saw and then filing to perfection. I have an air body saw that I got from Harbor Freight that works amazingly well. With some practice you might even get a final cut with that. Otherwise, pull out some files and a dremel and go to town.

If you can't roll the edges, you could machine a frame out of an aluminum plate to support the edges, or steel so you can weld it. I'm just jealous that you have a milling machine, so I'm thinking of ways to use it vicariously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

-Tony
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Aug 24 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #11

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Metal hole saw of the correct diameter for the radius you're looking for on the corners, nibbler for the sides leaving the line (I prefer a scribed type line as opposed to an ink line, It'll be obvious when you do your finish filing), and "draw" a file over the excess until the shiny scribe line disappears. Oh, and don't forget to wear good leather gloves, or you WILL get cut!

A fine carbide rotary file in a straight die grinder works great too for taking down the excess, but definitely finish by hand filing.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 24 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #12

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tdgray @ Aug 24 2004, 11:16 AM)
Alot of the MGA guys take thier hoods and have them louvered (sp). Professional shop can do this for small amount of $.

i agree...do it this way....
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 24 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #13

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Can't find a picture of an MGA but here is a picture from the other Whine and Cheese set. Big snobs that they are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Aug 24 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #14

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Louvers....unless your going to fill the holes with some screening material.....But louvers would look better....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 24 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

of course I'd cover the holes with screen or mesh...those punched in louvers are boring and totally take away from the lines of the car...they only belong on old hot rods, any other cars and they are goofy in my opinion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Aug 24 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,223

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Mike,hole saw in the corners then jig saw/fine blade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) then draw file to smooth out any rough spots. Although (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Andy....long unsupported edges....not good, but if you made a grill to fit in there that was stiff enough that would support the sheet metal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

SteveSr
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 24 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #17

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

louvres will keep the shape of the metal better. I bet your trunk lid will sag with two big holes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 24 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #18

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Mike, a tool I used too punch holes through thick guage stainless sheet, works like this:

Drill pilot hole.
Special tool has die cutter that bolts through pilot hole.
Tool is fastened to both sides of the work.
As you tighten bolt it draws cutting blade through your metal into the receiving die part of the tool.
Only takes a minute or two to punch any size hole you want. Perfect hole every time.

I would inquire at an electric supply house for a K.O. punch ( knock out )
or a " slug buster ". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

May be a rentable tool.

KT
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Aug 24 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #19

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

What size hole do you need? I can make 'em perfect in: .45, 9mm, .38, .270, .22, ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 24 2004, 02:07 PM
Post #20

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

I replied before seeing the picture of your design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Use the punch in the inside corners like above mentioned intead of hole saw.

Slow steady jig saw sounds good. Replace blades frequently.

Put blue tape over the metal, mark your cut lines, to avoid scratching metal with your saw.

KT
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:42 AM