Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi/Lo Headlight Relay, 4prong vs 5 prong?
jPs
post Aug 26 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,554

Hi All,

I picked up a 914 a week ago and am trying to iron out a few bugs before I get it back on the road and have reached a point where I sure could use a little advise. So here it is: The headlights won't switch between hi/low and in trying to figure this out I took the steering wheel off to check the turn/hi/low switch. It looked good and so after cleaning it all up I still didn't have much luck. So I then took the relay out (on the fuse panel) and noted it looked new. The PO I got this from had given me some extra parts and I noticed the old relay mixed in with them. The difference between the two is the new one is 5 prong, the old is 4 prong. I put the old one in and it would switch between hi/lo but not all the time.

So, I called the porsche dealership and the manager was very helpful and suggested I contact the guys over at the VW side of the dealership and have them order the new relay as it would be cheaper. I picked it up today and it was the same 5 prong I already had. In short, I went back to porsche and ordered what will hopefully be a 4 prong but the guy said the parts sheet didn't show if it was 4 or 5 but we'd find out. So I guess my question is will the 5 prong work and if so anyone know how? The schematics look close but I don't do electronics very well and basically am clueless. One thing I know for sure is if I can get the new 5 prong working I could save some cash for other items I need.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jPs
post Aug 26 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #2

prongs

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
double-a
post Aug 26 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

yes, you can use the 5-prong, no problem. but you need to fashion a jumper from the 30 connector to... somewhere else. i forget now, but i've had to do this to my car since the new relays have that extra connection point. others will chime in, this is an easy fix.

oh, and another thing: welcome to the club! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

~a
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

from the schematics on the relays it looks like to make the 5-prong work one would simply have to splice the wire that goes to 56 and also have it go to 30 on the new relay ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy

PS: in case it burns up, i never said the above!
+Quote Post
Tab914
post Aug 26 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,978
Region Association: Canada

You can also open up the four prong relay by just folding back the metal around the base of the relay. Look in there and see if a contact just needs to be resoldered. I did this whith mine when it stopped working and a wire had somehow broken from it's contact. Once resoldered I put the cover back on the relay, rebent the metal to hold it to the base and it has been working fine since. SAVE CASH TOO. Hope you can do the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
double-a
post Aug 26 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #6

andy's right, if you keep the new one, you'll need to jumper to 56. here's how i did mine.

~a

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jPs
post Aug 26 2004, 06:53 PM
Post #7

If you guys where here I'd buy ya'll a round of beer. Thanks for the quick response.

Now I can wire this tonight whooohooo! I can see the inspection station in my future tomorrow.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Aug 26 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #8

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) you're welcome. i'm just thrilled that i knew the answer to someone's question for once! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

~a
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(double-a @ Aug 26 2004, 06:48 PM)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) you're welcome. i'm just thrilled that i knew the answer to someone's question for once! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ditto, i usually just babble nonsense ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
pjhaun
post Aug 27 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,055
Region Association: None

QUOTE(double-a @ Aug 26 2004, 04:37 PM)
andy's right, if you keep the new one, you'll need to jumper to 56. here's how i did mine.

~a

Why do you necessarily have to jump 30 to 56?? Can you not just disregard or cut post 30?
Also what is the extra wire on post 56?

Thank You!!!!!
+Quote Post
double-a
post Aug 27 2004, 08:05 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(pjhaun @ Aug 26 2004, 10:09 PM)
Why do you necessarily have to jump 30 to 56?? Can you not just disregard or cut post 30?
Also what is the extra wire on post 56?

Thank You!!!!!

according to the guy at the local porsche/vw shop where i bought the new relay, post 30 was designed to receive power. i understood from him that the new one wouldn't work right without the jumper, but what do i know? i'm no electrical guru, never tried it without the jumper come to think of it...

the extra plug on post 56 is part of the jwest foglight kit, which allows you to run your fogs without the lights being on, and flash them using the headlight stalk if you want. cool stuff!

~a
+Quote Post
jPs
post Aug 27 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #12

I tried disregarding 30 and it didn't work. I jumpered it as described and it worked like a champ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Thanks again folks...now if ups would deliver the flowmeter I ordered so I can tune the carbs to smooth the engine out I should be ready to hit the twistys around here.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 04:01 AM