Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Triple gauge... need some ideas, might be making a batch
si2t3m
post May 2 2003, 08:35 AM
Post #1

914 addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 119

Hi all,

Had to pull the tripe gauge cluster out again as a wire on the fuel gauge got loose and shorted.

The backplate itself is pretty easy to fabricate (as i have mine as a template). I'd improve the backplate design so it accepts a 74-75 fuel instrument instead of the older ones. The change regards the way that the connectors for the instruments are installed on the back plate. The 74-75 ones have the connectors built in the body of the instrument instead of the cheezy remote connectors that hold on the backplate by bending the connector tabs against some orangish cardboard and hoping that they will not move & short.

The ideas i need regards the face plate. I'm trying to locate some material that could be used to fabricate it. Well, the same material that is used for these:

Gauge faces

The gauge face that came in the triple gauge kit needed that you cut the tabs from an existing gauge face and glue them onto the new face plate. This allowed to keep the gauge face at a certain distance of the glass. After a while, the tabs either unglue, and fall. I'd go with a smaller OD for the new faceplate and it could be glued to an old faceplate (with the middle of it cut out).

One thing, the actual openings for the gauges and the lights on the faceplate are rouded out. The face plate goes down a bit near the openings for th gauges and the lights (Hard to explain with my poor english!). I don't think this could be reproduced so the face plate would be completely flat.

Anyways, if some of you have ideas regarding the material that could be used for the faceplate, i'd probably go into getting a batch made.

Marc-André
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:29 PM