Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 transmission rebuild, Can I reuse the 1st gear
914Gelb
post Feb 8 2012, 03:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,288
Region Association: Austria

Hello guys,

I've bought my car without any test drive because it was unsed many years. Now my transmission is on my todo list. I already opened the case to inspect the 1st gear. I saw a syncro ring which seems to be less used but the dog teeth and the slider speeks other words. My impression.. I have to change slider, dog teeth and syncro. I added some pictures, who can distinguish between poo parts and reusable ones.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 8 2012, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your slider looks fantastic. The gears show typical wear. I do not see any galling in the pics so they should be good to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 8 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Oh, while you are in there, you should change out the band and teeth. The teeth are not worn out, but they are on their way.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post Feb 9 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 8 2012, 08:56 AM) *

Oh, while you are in there, you should change out the band and teeth. The teeth are not worn out, but they are on their way.

Thanks for answer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) , new teeth are expansive can I reuse them from other gears(transmission)? Are the teeth the same in 911 transmissions? Where to get (companies) teeht in US, also used ones? Are the now available ones genuine Porsche ore reproductions?

Do you have a picture of a worn out slider, just to see the differences?

I added additional pictures just to show other 914 friends how it can look like?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Feb 9 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #5

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

no pic of a worn out slider but its the teeth, just like the replaceable dog teeth on other gears that start to round and ground down. the less pointy at top, the worse.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post Feb 9 2012, 04:57 AM
Post #6

I now know how new teeth should look like, but is there an indication/threshold when they are worn out. Is there any measurement method for indication ore just experience.

Let's talk a lite bit about the function of the teeth. As far as I know the slider shoult only slide ove the syncro ring if the rotating speed of the cogs are the same. Are the teeth edgy the shift will be easy are the worn(rounded,flat) the shift will snag. So the importent part is always the syncro ring also if the teeths are a litte bit flat..ore? So the grinding noise
is forced by worn syncro rings and will lead to flat teeth.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 9 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #7

You can reuse teeth from other gears as long as you use all the internal parts with it (all the bands and blocks). I sell good used parts at a deep discount from new with no loss in longevity or function. You can also try Mittlemotor in Germany for new parts since you are over that way.

As for your question about the teeth points on the slider, the teeth need to be pointed so that they allow for the interlocking of the slider and the dog teeth on the gear. The synchroband works as both a friction devise that speeds up the gear to the shaft speed, and as a lock to hold the slider onto the dog teeth. When your teeth get dull, the slider and dog teeth have difficulty interlocking and this causes the grind you hear. A worn synchro band contributes to this. The reason the teeth need to be pointy is because the points offer less surface area to block the transition of the slider into its engaged position with the dog teeth of the free gear.

The way the 901 type of transmission is designed, the parts tend to wear in this fashion:
Synchro band -->dog teeth --> slider

If one addresses the problem early, then they have less to fix. Also, the cost of the parts goes up significantly as the problem progresses and other parts wear:
Synchro band (about $175) --> dog teeth (about $175) --> Slider (from $220 to $500)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 9 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #8

As for wear limit, I do not know of an indicator. The manual would just have you change anything worn. I use my experience to dictate when something is used up. My threshold is 70%. If I do not feel confident that the part has 70% or better life left, it is considered garbage.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 14 2012, 11:49 PM
Post #9

Hello

I continued my transmission rebuild and have additional questions. First I like to show bad news. I think the root cause is cavitation caused by ??.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The number for the ring gear and pinion shaft is the same. The roller bearing outer part can be rotated in the case.. ist this normal.. the manual says different.
Is there a need to solve this and If how?

Attached Image

I also have now the problem to get a used ring gear and pinion shaft.
The clearances must be adjusted again, I do not have the tools. Are there different approaches to do this without these tools?

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 15 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #10

That is toast. The race in the case should not move.

I have good used ring and pinion. If you can not get someone local to you to adjust the ring and pinion, you can use the method that other makers use in that they apply dye to the ring and check where the pinion contacts and adjust from there. I had a guy in New Zealand use this method as he did not have access to the tools or a shop with them. His results were fine, but you may have to do it a few times, I dont know. I always use the tools.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 15 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #11

So, it'S not possible to get ring and pinion in Austria, so if you have a good used one I will take them. Also I'm looking for original case transmission nuts, you also have this.

The tools I dont have but I'm going to ask some shops maybe I can rent them.

The other big issue is the roller bearing outer part in the case which can be rotated. How to solve this..new case ore other options?

Thanks Georg
+Quote Post
Richard Casto
post May 15 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #12

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

Georg,

Regarding the bore for the roller bearing, I have remove a number of those bearing races. They are not very tight, but they are also not finger loose either. If you must have that case (it is an original case for the car and you want to keep it), then I am sure there are options. I know that Loctite makes products for this situation (I think it is Loctite 640 and/or 648), but I have not tried those products so I can't vouch for their effectiveness. At a minimum I expect that once used, it would be very difficult to remove the outer race in the future.

If it was me, I would try to source a new case. I don't know how easy they are for you to obtain, but in fact, it might be more cost effective for you to source a complete core transmission and then hope for the best that it may be a better candidate for rebuild. It may have a good ring and pinion to start with and you wouldn't have to mess with trying to set pinion depth, backlash, pre-load and your current transmission already looks to have good examples of the commonly worn items (such as a 1st/Reverse slider).

Good luck and I hope it all works out. Continue to post if you have more questions.

Richard
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 15 2012, 02:55 PM
Post #13

I agree that another core would be a better investment. Must you have this particular case? If not, you need a core and will save lots of money and time. As for the OE nuts, I do not have any new.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 15 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #14

Thanks for the answers! I also think it makes sence to use an other case but my transmission is a genuine 914-6. As far as I know some gears are different to the 914-4. If I use an other case I have to move this gears. At the end the clearances are again wrong and measurement is necessary.. or??

If the outer race moves and and I use locite than I hope it will be very difficult to remove. That's at the end the goal a stable outer race which never losse under normal operation. If I like to remove them later I can also use than an other case.

I'm going to ask loctite, maybe they also have solutions for that case which also includes the workflow how it can removed afterwards.

I have no fear for the measurments, I like the work and have the time. There ist the option to make a fault but I will learn a lot! If its not posible to get the tools I'm going to make it by my own. Lathe and milling is possible. If this is necesarry I will post my tools.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 16 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #15

There is another alternative to changing cases. The original /6 box I just rebuilt has both bearing races in the case loose. Since I use good used parts in my rebuilds where ever I can, I measured all of my stock and found that there is just enough variance in outer race diameter to take up that slop. The end result was a better bearing with appropriate interference with the case. If you measure the outer race of the loose bearing, I or someone else may have a larger one for you. If you go the lock-tite route, I would use a very good bearing or a new one to ensure you do not need to remove it anytime soon. You should get another 30-40 years out of the bearing that way.

As for swapping gears, that is easy. You just measure the thickness of the gears (in the center), compare them to the thickness of the ones you are swapping off (you only need to measure the pinion shaft), and then adjust for the difference either at the gaskets between the intermediate plate and case if you can, or the shims on the pinion itself.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 20 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #16

I will measure the outer race of the bearing, do I also have to change the other parts of the bearing? You know my ring and pin is toast I have to pull them of. On wednesday I will have the result and will send it to you. I try to go with his case, tha's my goal.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post May 20 2012, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Yes, the bearing should be replaced as a unit to be done correctly.
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 23 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #18

Hello,
I measured the ring 72.00mm!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 23 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #19

Next step of transmission rebuild, 1st gear dogteeth replacement and new synco ring. I used the special tool to remove the dogteeht ring and a shop press...without success. 4 up to 5 ton a big bang and a brocken ring

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

I got them off with a dremel whitout any grinding of the gear.

+Quote Post
914Gelb
post May 23 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #20

Next step installation of new dogteeht.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:08 PM